1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rick Warren speaks to unbelievers

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Beth, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Beth

Beth New Member

http://christianresearchnetwork.com/?p=4353

The noble Bereans were commended for searching the Scriptures. The Ephesians were noted by Jesus for testing apostles. (Rev 2:2)

How do Rick Warren's words test against the Bible?

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not well.:praying:

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

What he's saying is that God has a plan for each of our lives, and He's given us the ability for that plan. If your given the ability to be a doctor and help people, then do it. How many women feel it's a special calling to be an at home mother for instance, while others go crazy.
    Since we weren't given the whole speech, we don't know what else he might have said. Now if someone wants to post the entire thing so we can see it in context.

4. Beth

Beth New Member

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Thanks Beth. I'll listen to it too.

6. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

That was a wonderful speech that would set the foundation for someone else to come in behind Warren and bring the audience members to faith. Not a speaker or preacher, but a friend, a co-worker, a family member. Warren was simply finding a way to communicate God's plan and purpose to unbelievers in a way that wouldn't turn them off...and I think he did well!

7. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Good speech.

No need to throw stones because he doesn't preach a sermon; he wasn't at church. Or because he doesn't speak in your style; there are better ways to communicate to different audiences than a 5 point sermon.

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

Watched the whole video.
    he is not in church, he is not delivering a sermon. he is talking about writing a hugely successful book. Hopefully some of these people were interested enough to actually read the book, which contrary to popular belief here, is full of scripture, exposure to scripture, and learning about God and what we are here for(worship, serve, evangelize).

This was on the same page, this is what his speech was about

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

How we contextualize the Gospel for unchurched and dechurched people in an increasingly post-Christian culture is vital to being honest and connecting with them.

Paul did no different in Acts.

I really tire of the motivations of some to issue biting criticisms of fine Christian leaders who are accomplishing much for the Kingdom. It hurts my heart because it damages the name of Jesus Christ.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What you are tiring from is opposing views. And of course the gospel is not held captive to post modern "contexts". We all understand english. The rest has no effect on the gospel.

11. Beth

Beth New Member

I guess I just don't get it

I think I must be a very dense person, because I read some posts and just don't understand what is being said.

I don't understand when people write words like "contextualize"...? What do you mean by that? How do you go about contextualizing? Isn't the message the same? That all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God...and that the wages of sin is death? No one can be right before God because we are all sinners, and frankly, we can't stop sinning? That our justification can only come by accepting Jesus as our Savior?

I just had the opportunity to sit down this afternoon with my neighbor's adult granddaughter, Amy. The Lord provided an opportunity to discuss the gospel with her. She is an exCatholic, and so I used her works background as a springboard to reason the gospel with her. By the time we were finished talking, she understood the two covenants, that we have a sin nature which no law could control, that because that sin nature cannot be changed, that we need a new nature which is given to us when we believe that Jesus' Sacrifice atones for our sins...that new nature given to us through the Holy Spirit. She acknowledged that she sinned, and that she can't stop sinning! I mean, how cool is that!!!! :godisgood: I expect to continue this conversation with her next week, and pray that she will come to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ.

I think I must be a very simple minded person, because I think the gospel presentation, particularly the Romans Road approach is really simple and convicting.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And without any need for contexualizing.

13. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Hmmm, so you used her background, and what she understood, to explain the gospel in a way that would connect with her.

That is a way to contextualize. You take the person's context and show how the gospel relates to that.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, in any context. After all, the gospel relates to all people.

14. dan e.

dan e. New Member

Why are you so against putting forth the effort to show people how the gospel relates?

It is called pedagogy.

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

The gospel relates because Christ shed His blood for us when we needed a redeemer. We relate to it only when we understand our sinful state and the Righteousness of God. That does not need a post-modern context. Just a scriptual one.

Romans 10:17

16. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Amen Revmitchell!

The Gospel is so simple a child can understand it. How's that for pedagogy?

It's punk-post-moderns that refuse to listen unless the speaker wears an Hawaiian shirt that doesn't get it.

The Gospel is the sweetest news to those that have been awakened to their sinful rebellion against the Holy God. It doesn't matter what century they happen to live in.

The Gospel IS relevant to sinners.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

This speaks volumes :rolleyes:

Strange how Jesus used this approach and the Pharisees had a problem with it, too. There truly is nothing new under the sun...

18. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I am not here to bash RW, but statements like this one are why I do not like his approach. He sounds more like Oprah Winfrey than a Baptist preacher.

JESUS is the antidote!!!!! No other antidote will do.

19. cowboymatt

cowboymatt New Member

Amy, you have to take into account his audience. He wasn't preachig at Saddleback, he was talking to an audience of unbelievers. They would not have accepted anything that he had said if he beat them over the head with Jesus. Instead, Warren planted a seed that people like you and me can water and help grow to salvation.

20. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is not a spiritual seed. This is another gospel. It is humanism wrapped in religion. As is the post-modern movement. They try to think of everything they can do to "wrap" up the gospel in a palatable way. According to Jesus the gospel was not intended to be palatable. It strikes at the very root of the problem. Our sin.

Matthew 7:14