1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Right from wrong

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by vermae, Feb 1, 2006.

1. vermae

vermae New Member

I know when we are born we are born in sin.Do we know right from wrong when we are born?Don't we have a conscious?Please let me know what you think about this question.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Welcome to the BB, vermae.

I believe all men are created with the ability to discern right from wrong, with the ability to choose, and with consciences.

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.
    Rom 1:19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them.

3. Ron Arndt

Ron Arndt New Member

We are born into sin at the moment of birth. We are born with a desire or propensity to sin. Psl. 51:5. Of course we have the power to choose from right or wrong, but because of the power of sin in our human nature we more often than not do not what is pleasing to God, whether in thought, word or deed. This is why we need to be born again by the POWER of God's Holy Spirit.Titus 3:5

Read carefully Paul's words on his struggle with sin within him and how he found victory in the Holy Spirit. Please read all of Romans chapters 7 and 8. The NIV translation brings this out very nicely for the modern reader.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

No. At birth, we only know pleasure and displeasure. As we grow, our ability to reason and discern develop, and with that comes our comprehension of right and wrong.
    You mean a "conscience"? Yes. All humans have a conscience.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are conceived in sin/with a sin nature in utero.

We have a conscience, personality, will, intellect, etc BUT not developed any more than our physical body is developed. It takes months to crawl, years to walk. And so with "reason of use" our conscience et al is developed.

6. DeadMan

DeadMan New Member

Babies, as well as young children know nothing except their needs. They are, of course, completely dependant on their parents to supply those needs. As we grow older, we get to what is termed the "age of accountibility" where we do know right from wrong and are able to understand the basic message of the gospel. I've heard different age ranges, but I've seen it in a wide range of ages to be able to narrow it down as some have done.

Hope this helps!

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

In Rom. 2.14-15, God is saying the Gentiles know right from wrong through the conscience:

Evidence for God is that nature shows us a Creator (Rom 1) and human nature shows a conscience (Rom 2).

8. mountainrun

mountainrun New Member

True, Marcia.

C.S. Lewis, in "Mere Christianity," used as evidence for the existence of God the fact that people as a general rule have an almost universal standard of right and wrong.

Usually if someone claims to believe that something that most everyone believes is wrong is not wrong as far as they are concerned, you can do that very thing to them that they say is not wrong and they will cry foul at the top of their lungs, proving that they actually do believe it is wrong.

I'm afraid Lewis said it much better than I did, but his point was that this universal standard had to come from somewhere.
    Or someone.

MR

9. vermae

vermae New Member

Thanks everyone who took time to answer my question.God bless you.