1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Right to Life, Thompson, states rights

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ivon Denosovich, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

:sigh: Cato says:

In fact, even after bitter disappointment with Bush's first term:

Which is still a respectable majority.

2. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't know why you are sighing, Ivon. Your statistics agree with what I am saying. I am talking about the Libertarian Party--which is the hardcore Libertarians and not just those who are socially permissive. In 1980, the Libertarian Party candidate got 921,128 votes against Reagan. So much for the claptrap that Libertarians supported Reagan.

In 1984, the Libertarian Party faded to 228,111 votes against Reagan.

In 1988, Ron Paul ran for President as a Libertarian Party candidate and took 431,750 votes against the Republican Party and George H.W. Bush.

In 1992, the Libertarian Party sank again to 290,087 votes.

In 1996, the Libertarian Party got 485,798 votes.

In 2000, the Libertarian Party sank to 384,516 votes against George W. Bush.

In 2004, the Libertarian Party stagnated at 397,265 votes against George W. Bush.

Libertarians are enemies of the GOP. However, they are small and peaked in 1980--never to rise above a half million again in spite of the population growth.

3. Baptist in Richmond

Baptist in Richmond Active Member

Ain't gonna happen.... [sic]

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are about 13,000,000 libertarian voters in these United States, not 921,128. Most of them vote for Republican candidates. Without them the GOP would be a permanent minority party.

5. youngmom4

youngmom4 New Member

Certainly won't as long as the majority of Christians believe this way and don't get out and vote to make a difference!:thumbs:

6. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Where do you get that fact and how can you say that they are Libertarians if they don't vote for their own party? Aren't they just socially permissive? And there are not 921,128 Libertarians in the USA just as you say because their numbers have dwindled to almost nothing as is what has happened in this country with all third parties. Libertarians are closer to the Democrats in policy than anyone else. Indianapolis has less than four thousand Libertarians. They could hold a meeting in Indianapolis in a telephone booth and still have room for some Democrats.

7. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Actually it is probably on its way.

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because there are loads more libertarians than there are Libertarians.

For instance I have voted for a Republican presidential candidate in the general election more times than I have voted for a Libertarian presidential candidate and I have been a libertarian since 1980 and sometimes a Libertarian as I am currently.

The influence of wanting to cast a decisive vote is quite strong.

9. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

I'm :sigh:ing because of statements like this:

Which is rediculous. The vast majority of lbtns have always voted Republican. Including myself.

The vast majority of "hardcore" libertarians vote Republican. Reread the stats I posted above. If 59% of lbtns voted for Bush in '04 than that's the majority of lbtns.

10. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think that anyone can show that there are millions of libertarians in this country or that the GOP should abandon their platform just to cater to the socially permissive crowd. We do know the numbers of those who have voted Libertarian since 1980 and it has been going downhill since 1980.

When one examines the actual Libertarian Platform, it reads like a leftist Democrat platform and much like the actual Democrat Party Platform.

From the great Republican victory on November 6, 2007, here in the Indianapolis mayoral race, we can point out with certainity that the Libertarian candidate got less than four thousand votes in this city. Greg Ballard, our new Mayor, did not get anything at all from the Libertarian Party and we don't owe them one penny. Ballard had a majority on his own! Nor did the Libertarian Party get one office in Indiana this year as far as I know.

The Libertarians disliked Reagan. They managed almost a million votes against him.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) "Not all Americans can be classified as liberal
    or conservative. In particular, polls find that
    some 10 to 20 percent of voting-age Americans
    are libertarian, tending to agree with conservatives
    on economic issues and with liberals on personal
    freedom. The Gallup Governance Survey
    consistently finds about 20 percent of respondents
    giving libertarian answers to a two-question
    screen.​

Our own data analysis is stricter. We find 9 to
    13 percent libertarians in the Gallup surveys, 14
    percent in the Pew Research Center Typology
    Survey, and 13 percent in the American National
    Election Studies, generally regarded as the best
    source of public opinion data."​

13% of 100,000,000 voters is 13,000,000 voters.​

2) Then why did Reagan have so many libertarians working in his administration? Read a history of the political makeup of the Reagan administration and you will see that this is so.

Remember, Ronald Reagan himself stated: "If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism." Now, cmg, if you want to badmouth Ronald Reagan about this, well, go ahead, pilgrim.

#31 KenH, Nov 15, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  12. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At any rate, libertarians are usually more like Democrats on social issues so they are very small and declining as all third parties do. The decline is clearly shown in the small number of votes for the Libertarian Party.

The GOP does not have to change for libertarians. A lot of homosexuals are saying that the GOP should drop bedroom issues such as prostitution and same-sex marriage in order to win. However, the GOP has never been a party of live and let live but the GOP was a major party that advocated abolition when the Democrats still supported slavery. The libertarians do not understand GOP roots, history, and current thinking.

Fred Thompson seems to be a good candidate with the exception that he supports a libertarian position on abortion. For this reason, I think that the National Right To Life organization jumped the gun in endorsing him for President. If Thompson does not want to line up better with the majority of the GOP, there is no reason to nominate him or to endorse him at this time. With the Democrats in trouble with trying to elect Hillary, it is foolish for the GOP to spend a lot of money on the primaries or to accept a poor candidate. Hopefully, the GOP will take a vacation until next year.

#32 church mouse guy, Nov 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2007
  13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what? I don't decide whom to vote for based on electability. If you want to do so, that's fine, cmg.