1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Righteous Wind?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ccrobinson, Nov 3, 2008.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I heard part of Obama's stump speech from yesterday where he said that he has a "righteous wind" at his back. I didn't hear the whole thing, so I don't have a context for it, but is he suggesting that God is on his side? If so, and if I stood for some of the things he stands for, I'd be very, very cautious about suggesting that God was on my side. In fact, I probably wouldn't do that at all. I would take heed of a famous verse.

Proverbs 16:8 - Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.

If, however, Obama's not suggesting that God is on his side, then please disregard this OP. :)

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe he can feel the heat coming his way :laugh:

3. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Not only should he fear the judgment of God, he also needs to fear his own Democratic Party base - i.e., the atheists and the anti-Christian zealots that permeate the party. I'm sure many of them cringe at statements like that. Then again, as long as they get a President who implements a secular and godless agenda, which Obama will surely do, they can probably tolerate him throwing out the occasional religious platitude in order to make himself sound Christian and to make self-professing Christians feel good about their support of him.

#3 Andy T., Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2008
  4. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

statements like these are not true and don't aid in useful debate.

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

You mean statements like GWB stole the elections in '00 and '04? Those types of statements?

So what is untrue about my statement?

6. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

That wind is McCain's breath because he is coming up on Obama's six and its the only righteous thing happening right now. :laugh:

7. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

Two things I see:

The devil is called 'the prince of the air' and by deceit he trys to rob God of his glory and take it for his own, or cause man to believe it is his to own.

Secondly, the atheist and the unchurched, or the 'new age' churched will not be bothered by the religious undertones of Obama's oratory. Why? Because it is not founded upon doctrines of truth nor is it evangelistic for the gospel of Jesus Christ. The words may sound familiar or similiar, but they always do when it comes to spiritual movements and Obama represents not just a political movement but a spiritual movement. He is closely tied to the faith of Oprah in whom he also professes to believe. The New Age movement and the various other cults and religions and occults springing from it is full of 'Biblically' sounding terms. This is one reason why nominal Christians whose only exposure to the Bible is through preaching based on few scriptures or 'feel good' devotional texts which lift a single verse of scripture and then impart a secular talk which touches the mind and attitudes but is not designed to introduce one to Christ or touch the heart with transforming power, are duped into following. They are not familiar with the Word of God; they neither read it regularly, nor study it in depth to be grounded enough to recognize deception when terms sound familiar but the context has changed. But the world uses 'our' terms, and it doesn't threaten them in the least because they change the meaning and the context. We tend to hear and think 'Christian', they use the terms we're familiar with in a different context and laugh when we follow in their folly.