1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rise of Ad-Blocking Software Threatens Online Revenue

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, May 30, 2016.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many of the world’s largest Internet companies, like Google and Facebook, rely heavily on advertising to finance their online empires.

But that business model is increasingly coming under threat, with one in five smartphone users, or almost 420 million people worldwide, blocking advertising when browsing the web on cellphones. That represents a 90 percent annual increase, according to a new report from PageFair, a start-up that helps to recoup some of this lost advertising revenue, and Priori Data, a company that tracks smartphone applications.

The use of ad-blocking software has divided the online world. Supporters say it allows people to get better access to content without having to suffer through abrasive ads. Opponents, particularly companies that rely on advertising, say blocking ads violates the implicit contract that people agree to when viewing online material, much of which is paid for by digital advertising.

Mobile ad blockers, though, have become particularly widespread in emerging markets, where people are more reliant on their smartphones to use the Internet.

Already, 36 percent of the smartphone users in the Asia-Pacific region have so-called ad-blocking browsers on their mobile devices, allowing them to remove online ads when they use the Internet. In India and Indonesia — two of the world’s fastest-growing Internet markets — that figure is almost two-thirds of smartphone users, according to the report.

“We found the results surprising because in the West we don’t often consider what’s going on in developing countries,” said Sean Blanchfield, chief executive of PageFair. “It’s only a matter of time until mobile ad blocking comes to the West.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/31/b...rtphone-ad-blocking-software-mobile.html?_r=0

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, those poor, little innocent ads: the continuous cascade of videos, pics, and pop-ups that consume your bandwidth and lade your system with viruses, trojans, spyware and all forms of malware . . .

I wonder why ad blockers are so popular . . .

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Any suggestions on good free ones!

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't have an ad blocker on my phone yet (hmmm - need to look that up!) but on my laptop I have the regular Ad Blocker Plus. I started this when my old computer was getting slower and would hang up on ads and using the ad blocker made it that I could actually use the internet. :) Now I just appreciate having my child sitting next to me and not worrying about what kind of content will pop up while I'm online!

5. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anyone on the BB ever bought anything after seeing an ad on their computer? I have not.

6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I purposely don't purchase through ads online. If I'm interested, I may go directly to the site but not through the ad. But honestly, I don't think I've ever ended up purchasing anything based on an ad.

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This is the nature of the market. It is the glory of the market. Ad blockers are part of that market and one which I happily carry. Pop up blockers are also part of that market. While things have changed here, there are some sites I purposefully avoid because they are pasted with ads and innumerable pop ups that make it past my blockers. If internet marketers think there is a large segment of the population unreached because of these things, they just need to design a better ad. Banning ad blockers and pop up blockers isn't going to be effective.

I'll admit that I've bought something after clicking on an ad, usually for a product or service that I was looking for already. I've even clicked on things through this site.

But I can't say I've ever bought a product because of the ad on a site. But that goes the same way for other marketing.

8. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rise of Ad-Blocking Software Threatens Online Revenue

Tough cookies.