Rob Bell makes me angry: a pastoral response to Velvet Elvis

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Revmitchell, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell
    Expand Collapse

Time magazine recently called Rob Bell “The Hipper-Than-Thou-Pastor” (Thursday, Dec. 06, 2007). This, along with the fact that his influence seems to only be growing, led me to read his book Velvet Elvis. Since it has been done, there seems to be little need for a comprehensive book review. But as I read Velvet Elvis I became personally motivated to do my part and duty as a pastor and expose some of the dangerous content lurking behind Bell’s hip veneer.

More Here

2. mcdirector

mcdirector
    Expand Collapse

first read through.

Very good.

I need to read it again, but I've got to get to school. I'll read it again during planning.

3. annsni

annsni
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

I read a very good book on vacation this year that addresses some of the issues in that book. The book I read was "Why We're Not Emergent - By Two Guys Who Should Be". It's sad. Very sad that people follow that kind of teaching. Thank you for your work in reviewing it.

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell
    Expand Collapse

If you were speaking to me I did not write this review myself.

5. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist
    Expand Collapse

Excellent review. Love this statement:

In my opinion, the reason this book is resonating with so many is because we have seen the evangelical church abandon the Evangel Himself. Yes, much of evangelicalism is empty because the Evangel of our evangelicalism is gone or as David Wells so aptly put it: He has been dislodged from its center. Couple this with a general ignorance of the Bible and church history and you have a book like Velvet Elvis actually seen as publishable by a “Christian” publisher and selling as if it were something novel and good.

6. annsni

annsni
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Administrator

Ooops! Sorry! :)

7. Amy.G

Amy.G
    Expand Collapse

I read some excerpts here.

This scripture came to mind:
    Jud 1:4 For certain men have crept in unnoticed, who long ago were marked out for this condemnation, ungodly men, who turn the grace of our God into lewdness and deny the only Lord God* and our Lord Jesus Christ.

8. Salamander

Salamander
    Expand Collapse

Just curious, what is that asterick for? and is it inspired or not?

9. Marcia

Marcia
    Expand Collapse

I just recently got this book but have not read it yet. I do know that in a footnote he urges readers to take 3 months to read a book by Ken Wilber, A Brief History of Everything. Ken Wilber is a New Ager and I have his book, which I've read much of. I find it absolutely astonishing and irresponsble for a supposed Christian to urge readers to read a New Age book! This book at best will only mislead and confuse people, especially unbelievers.

Bell also says (I think in one of his Nooma films, which you can view on YouTube) that God has faith in us and so we must have faith in ourselves. He says that Peter started sinking when walking on the water because he lost faith in himself. I'm going on memory here, so if I'm wrong, let me know but I think that's it.

Once I read this book, I may post a review of it on my site. Not sure yet as I try to keep book evaluations on my site pretty much in the New Age/occult categories. However, I see certain elements of the emerging church introducing New Age views into the church and it disturbs me beyond words. The fact that Bell has this footnote in this book may be the basis I use for posting a review. But it may be awhile - I'm reading The Shack first since it's a bestseller. I've been disturbed by some things in it.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G
    Expand Collapse

You're such a funny little man.

Maybe you can understand this better.
    Jud 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.

11. Salamander

Salamander
    Expand Collapse

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell
    Expand Collapse

You will find this same statement in this book.