1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robbers Steal $160m in Art From Zurich

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Ps104_33, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

You are probably wondering why I would post an article about an art heist. I did it because I wanted to see if some of you out there can answer a question that I always pondered.
    Why would someone steal valuable paintings? I always thought the idea behind having a Picasso or a Rembrandt was to display it so others can admire and enjoy it. But if it is a painting that is known to be stolen, what can you do with it but to look at it yourself once in a while and then put it back in the safe.
    Maybe there are people who are such connoiseurs that they can just enjoy the piece by themselves not caring if anyone else ever sees it.
    I guess that it can be sold to such an individual. But where do all these stolen pieces of art work go? And what value are they to someone who can never put them on display?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8UO4GOO0&show_article=1

2. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I'm guessing it would be for the same reason people have several houses, or boats, or race horses. They are valuable. They are expressions of wealth, not necessairly of taste. That they are illegal makes them that much more desirable to some people.

love,

Sopranette

3. donnA

donnA Active Member

I'm sure there is a market out there for stolen art work. Someone who can afford the art, and afford to keep it quiet and secluded enough not to be found out. Why else steal it if not for the money.

4. Sopranette

Sopranette New Member

I've always wondered what people would pay for a Van Gogh painting if he had lived to be an old man with a wife and kids. Sad, really. I also wonder why people are willing to fork over that much cash, when I can get a print for 20 bucks. Must be a pride thing.

love,

Sopranette

5. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member