1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert A. Taft and American Foreign Policy

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Oct 12, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since Ron Paul often refers to Robert A. Taft I found this article to be interesting:

"What conclusions, then, may we reach regarding Taft’s overall importance for the history of U.S. foreign relations? As the revisionists have pointed out, he was remarkably prescient on many of the problems inherent in a highly interventionist foreign policy: unprecedented accretion of power in the hands of the executive branch of government, curtailment of civil liberties at home, the charge of "imperialism" arising from American influence abroad, and most importantly the danger of what Paul Kennedy referred to as "imperial overstretch"—the extension of overseas commitments beyond the ability of a nation to meet them. Even his contemporary critics, such as John P. Armstrong, admitted that the senator played an important role as a check on the internationalism of the Truman administration, raising difficult questions about particular policies even if only to be voted down....

Therefore even if he had mapped out a clear and coherent plan for foreign affairs derived from his core principles, it is unlikely that he would have found much support for it. It was when he was being most consistent and true to his principles, such as when he opposed the North Atlantic Treaty, that he appeared to be the most out of step with the times. It was not, therefore, until the 1960s and the doubts raised by the Vietnam War that a serious reevaluation of Taft’s foreign policy was possible. And indeed, as policymakers of the post-Cold War era struggle with the issue of foreign affairs, perhaps it is time for another such reconsideration."

- rest at www.ashbrook.org/publicat/dialogue/moser.html

2. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

JFK devotes a chapter to Robert Taft in his classic "Profiles in Courage". He took a very unpopular stand against the Nuremberg trials and the trials for war crimes against the axis leaders. His stand cost him a sure shot at the presidency.

3. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We Hoosiers were all Taft Republicans once.

My family was all for Taft against Ike but once Ike won the nomination, my Dad became very enthusiastic for him because of his dislike of Truman and FDR. FDR was a real cad--a rich man who consorted with all sorts of low-class women. Truman wouldn't let union workers strike in the railway industry--my dad being a union railroader.

Ike, with his experience in World War II, was quite good at foreign policy and he sent Secretary of State John Foster Dulles all the time to tell the Russians that we would drop the atomic bomb on them if they didn't grow up. I think that the 1950s were quite properly called the golden age of America.

My mother said that it was God's will that Taft was never president because he died during Ike's administration. The Tafts are still a great family in Ohio, and I always pause to see what is going on with the Tafts.

American foreign policy today was forged at Pearl Harbor and case hardened at Nine Eleven.

God Bless America! :jesus:

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I plan on starting this book tonight. I look forward to it.