1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Roeper and Ebert on "The DaVinci Code"

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Scarlett O., May 21, 2006.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I always like to watch these guys on Sunday nights when I come home from church. I don't always agree with them, but I find that I can make a decision on whether or not to watch a movie based on their descriptions. They are generally truthful and upfront about the content before they give the their opinions.

Here's what they said about "The DaVinci Code". I'm putting it here just for your information.

Richard Roeper said that the conspiracy theories and some of the implausible plots made him roll his eyes.

Roger Ebert said that if anyone wanted to believe the conspiracy theories of this movie that they should put their faith into something more "substantial" like flying saucers.

With that being said, they still both gave it a "thumbs up". They said it was a better movie than a book. They said that it was an interesting thriller that was artfully made and that it was strictly to be taken as a work of fiction.

I have no comment to make on their review, I simply am putting their review here for your consideration.

Peace-
    Scarlett O.
    <><

2. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

Sounds exactly like what I thought of the book. I read it, considered it, and kept right on thinking the way I always had about the subject of Jesus Christ. I did learn some things about symbolism. But no faith shaking occurred in my neck of the woods. I will probably see this sometime this week.

Thanks for sharing Scarlett.

3. terriloo

terriloo New Member

And this sums up exactly what several of my friends (all discerning Christians) have indicated about the book (which I have NOT read myself)--it's a work of fiction based on fantasy--a suspense story on a "romanticized" subject. And most any movie with Tom Hanks in it will be, at the very least, well-acted.

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Most of what he has in the book on symbolism is hogwash, so you learned nothing. The book has errors on almost every page when he talks about symbols, religion, and history.

See this page on my site with links to a lot of good articles that reveal these errors:
    http://cana.userworld.com/cana_DaVinciCode.html

5. emeraldctyangel

emeraldctyangel New Member

Well I was actually talking about the use of symbols to demonize something or to give it some sort of power (walk into a RC church and youll know what I mean), but your website did just a fine job of doing that.

I never believed in things with superstitious principles anyway. It just gets deeper and deeper into silliness. I did learn that you are quick to judge someone you dont know....what chapter and verse is that in the Bible?

I learned that one person writing a book does not challenge God at all.

You want a real eye opener over the challenges of God? Look at some Saudi textbooks.