1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Rom. 8:7-9 The Superior Man

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by The Biblicist, Jul 18, 2013.

1. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

The Greek noun "phronema" translated "mind" in Romans 8:7 is not the normal Greek term for "mind." The normal word is "nous." This term according to its usage includes more than just the intellectual capacity but rather a disposition of mind toward something or mindset. This particular kind of mindset is described by the previous adjective "carnal".

This is a disposition of mind that is carnal by nature. This disposition of mind is further described in detail by the noun "enmity" which is descriptive of a STATE OF WAR. This is its ACTIVE dispositon toward God.

The phrase "for it is not subject to the law of God" describes the "carnal mind" or fleshly disposition REACTION to the revealed will of God. This ACTIVE resistance is a STATE OF BEING as the state of being verb "is" describes this action.

So, the kind of mind set or disposition is "carnal" active hositlity to God and resistance to the revealed will of God.

This mindset does not originate with the "inward man" that delights in the Law of God within the regenerated man but it originates with the "law of sin" that resides "in my flesh" (Rom. 7:18) which is still "carnal" and thus "sold under sin" (Rom. 7:14) and the absolute proof is that it will result in "death" (Rom. 7:24) which is the wages of sin. Only in the resurrection does the body of the redeemed raised a "spiritual" (Rom. 7:14; 1 Cor. 15:53-55).

However, the unregenerated man has not been redeemed from sin in regard to any aspect of the human nature and therefore the law of sin is not restricted merely to "the flesh" but to the whole person including his "mind" (Rom. 7:25). So then they that are "in the flesh" cannot please God because they have no other mindset option than the "carnal."

Neither the regenerated man or the unregenerated man have any internal ability to overpower the fallen nature (Rom. 7:18) and that is precisely why the only option for overpowering the "carnal mindset" that dominates the fallen nature is the power of the indwelling Spirit of God (Rom. 8:9-13). That is precisely why those "in the flesh" cannot please God as they have no other option, no other mindset then the law of Sin.

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Excellent post and you shellacked the other poster. The old nature is in all men and women. The only difference between the regenerated and the lost is that in the lost, there is no battle between the two natures (regeneration and old nature) because there is no regeneration. No battle, not saved.

There is no such thing as the Disney fairy tale of the complete elimination of the old nature in this lifetime. Believe it or not, the always smiling Lawrence Welk singers are not in a glorified state. Their smiles are super glued to their face.

3. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I only hope this thread will remain civil and devoted to issues instead of persons. I have tried my best simply to set forth my position as convincing as I am able and stick with contextual issues.

Glad you found it acceptable.

4. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Yes, I know, I have a real problem with this person, so I address the one posting the positive message. Back to the other, I think one of the most dangerous false doctrines to ever emerge is perfection in this life. Once a thread was started called "The 24 Hour Sinless Day." This person claimed he could go for that time and even longer without a sinful thought, motive, deed, or action. Anyway, the thread became quite heated before being shut down.

Another tactic I have noticed is starting off with a belief on some doctrine, then finding verses taken out of context that fit the warped belief. All along, when learning, one should have an open mind as they study Scripture and are illuminated by the Holy Spirit. That should form their beliefs.

5. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

It is only possible by either redefining sin and/or redefining the Law's standard of "good" in God's sight. God looks upon the heart motive behind every determined word and action and if it "comes short of THE GLORY OF GOD" as the proper motive it is sin.

Also, they reverse the Lord's teaching that a tree must first be made good before the fruit can be good. Their whole theory reverses that order and assumes good can originate from a bad tree when it comes to their interpetation of Romans 7:14-25 but then reverse it when it comes to the nature of children from the womb. Common reason and general experience of mankind dictates that children do not have to be trained to do evil but it comes natually. What they do need to be trained is to do good (relative goodness in the sight of men).