1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rom, Gal, Heb...correct sequencing...

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by 3John2, Oct 24, 2003.

1. 3John2

3John2 New Member

Early in my christian walk I was told that the correct sequence to those 3 books was Galatians, Romans, then Hebrews. Later on I was told it was actually Romans THEN Galatians & finally Hebrews. What is the correct sequence for those books in terms of doing a study of them?

2. Nomad

Nomad New Member

If you mean the order in which they were written, most commentaries place Galatians first (around 51 AD) and then Romans (ca. 57 AD). There is some dispute about the date of Galatians because of doubt as to which group Paul is writing to (north Galatians or south Galatians), but most seem to favor the earlier date. Hebrews would probably be last in chronological order, although the date of this book is uncertain (as is the author). In terms of theology, Galatians is sort of a mini-Romans, anticipating doctrines which are spelled out in more detail in Paul's later work. So, studying Galatians first would probably be a good idea.

3. 3John2

3John2 New Member

I wasn't referring to chronological order. I was referring to order in terms of starting a synthetic or analytical study of the books. The logical progression of each.

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    For a mature Christian who wants to study these books, I'd opt for </font>
    • Hebrews</font>
    • Galatians</font>
    • Romans</font>
    Probably REVERSE that for the new believer!

But in my study Hebrews would focus on what we were historically (Jewish/Messianic), Galatians on the choices we make (Christian/World) then Romans (Personal relationship with Christ).

5. 3John2

3John2 New Member

Thansk for the feedback!!!