1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Roman Catholicism , cult or not?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by shannonL, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Such word of Hyperdulia doesn't make sense except to the goddess worshippers:

Luke 11:27

And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. 28 But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

Nobody should call the notification by Gabriel as Hyperdulia unless he or she searches the cluse for the goddess worshipp.
    Mary was a corruptible being and dead!

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Prove your point. Gabriel neither worshiped nor was worshiped. The only person that was worshiped in any of these accounts was God, and him alone. If you state such you must offer up evidence for such an untruth.
    DHK

3. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

You may think I went on a rabbit trail here and thus got confused. You started speaking of love, and so I answered what Biblical love was, but not in relation to salvation. Notice in the quotes that I gave Jesus was instructing his disciples. They were already saved, already disciples, followers of Him. This had nothing to do with salvation. I was pointing out to you the definition of love--obedience to Christ. This was not in relation to salvation. Sorry if you took it that way. It is impossible for an unsaved man to have love for Christ. The unsaved man looks for salvation in Christ like a thief looks for a policeman. Salvation is a work of God. The Holy Spirit draws a man to Christ. "There is none righteous no not one. They are all gone out of the way. They are together become unprfitable. There is none that doeth good, no, not one." (Rom.3:10-12)</font>[/QUOTE]And there you are on all fours with the Catholic Church. I was talking of those who were saved likewise.
    I don't find his name in the Bible. The Bible is my only authority.</font>[/QUOTE]As interpreted by whom, exactly?
    I believe you are the one being selective here.
    He also says in the same verse:

"but he that believeth not shall be damned."
    --There is no mention of "and not be baptized" there.
    You select one verse (for which there is an explanation) out of hundreds of verses which state that a man is saved by faith alone. You cannot build a doctrine around one verse. The totality of Scripture confirms that a man is saved by faith alone.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]That is your interpretation and you are welcome to it. We are not talking about one verse here: I mentioned Acts 2:38-39 and I could have mentioned I Peter 3:21 as another such verse; we are also talking about the totality of Scripture as faithfully interpreted by Jesus' Apostles - as appointed and commanded by Him - and their successors throughout the centuries.

4. Matt Black

Site Supporter

Prove your point. Gabriel neither worshiped nor was worshiped. The only person that was worshiped in any of these accounts was God, and him alone. If you state such you must offer up evidence for such an untruth.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hyperdulia as follows: "Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with you. Blessed are you amongst women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]Hyperdulia as follows: "Hail Mary full of grace the Lord is with you. Blessed are you amongst women and blessed is the fruit of your womb, Jesus.
    </font>[/QUOTE]You are quoting from a Catholic prayer, "The Hail Mary," not the Scripture. You don't think I know the difference? I gave you the Scriptture references to look. That is not what Gabriel said. Look the Scripture up and quote the Scripture and show me any prayer that Gabriel said. Gabriel never gave any worship to Mary, only a greeting with a message.
    DHK

6. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

I have been asked that before, and the answer is no. I hope that my posting style doesn't lend one towards that conclusion though. (But it wouldn't be the first time [​IMG] )

Actually when I first started this on the old Tycos religion board about six years ago I didn't want to take myself too seriously. So I parterned my handle after ToysRUS.

(Don't tell anyone ;) )

1 Cor. 1:31

7. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Matt wrote:
    The Catholic term hypedulia is just a euphemism for worship, and God is not fooled. Sadly many peole are though.

Dulia mean veneration, but one can quess where this leads when you put the term 'hyper' in front of it.

John Calvin writes that "(t)he distinction of what is called dulia and latria (worship) was invented for the very purpose of permitting divine honours to be paid to angels and dead men with apparent impunity."

http://www.catholicconcerns.com/MaryWorship.html

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Roman%20Catholicism/mary_worship_a_study.htm

8. standingfirminChrist

The angel did not offer worship to Mary. He greeted her, and told her she was a blessed woman. Blessed in the Greek means happy. Mary is not to be worshipped.

9. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Just wondering ... how many people on the board - many seemingly having so much authority on what "they" believe - have ever actually attended a service at a Catholic church?

If so, did you or did you not hear the Gospel? Were the Scriptures read? Were the ancient verities proclaimed? Just wondering ...

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

There are many former Catholics such as D28Guy and myself on this board.
    I was a Catholic for 20 years, a devout Catholic.
    And no I never heard a clear presentation of the gospel, though there were "readings" of the Scriptures. But the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God. The Catholic Church is mostly liturgy, dead formalism. When I was a Catholic most people got very little out of it, for most of it was said in Latin.
    DHK

11. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are many former Catholics such as D28Guy and myself on this board.
    I was a Catholic for 20 years, a devout Catholic.
    And no I never heard a clear presentation of the gospel, though there were "readings" of the Scriptures. But the natural man receives not the things of the Spirit of God. The Catholic Church is mostly liturgy, dead formalism. When I was a Catholic most people got very little out of it, for most of it was said in Latin.

DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]...and of course since the novelties of vatican 2 you can now attend a catholic church and think you were in a protestant church....such serious deviation is now well regarded by the RCC....but there are those who have returned to the Tridentine Mass (in Latin) and appreciate the beauty of the Mass and its attendant liturgy. Epistle and Gospel are read in Latin and then in English prior to the sermon on Sunday...so there you go

[​IMG]

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Vatican II did nothing but put on a little bit of make-up: pure cosmetics. No doctrinal changes were made in the RCC. They still hold to the same damnable doctrines, the same doctrines that will condemn a person to Hell. You cannot believe in the doctrines of the RCC and believe in the Biblical way of salvation at the same time. The two are diametrically opposed to each other.
    DHK

13. D28guy

D28guy New Member

JackRUS,

I asked...

You...

No, its not your posting style at all, I'm just a lifelong dog lover, but here in my 40's I am a 1st time owner of a Jack Russell terrier.

And I've never loved a dog like this amazing little amimal.

No no...dont worry. This is all just between you an me. :D )

God bless,

Mike

14. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Friend of Spurgion...

I have attended hundreds of them, having been raised Catholic.

Never.

Not one single time.

When christians...actual born of the Spirit people...1st witnessed to me in my early 20's I was stunned at the "good news" of the gospel.

I had never heard it before.

I had been told a convoluted mess of "works theology", religious nonsense and "christianised" paganism, some "hope so think so maybe so" fairy tales, and the opportunity to *maybe* go to heaven(if I was super duper good and "holy" all the time)...but more than likely go to the "sort of hell" place called purgatory....to suffer for a while..(2 weeks? 20 years? 5000 years? Who knows?)...until I would then be good enough for heaven.

Yes.

I have no idea what "ancient verities" are. I concern myself with the scriptures.

I hope my post helps.

Grace and peace,

Mike

15. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Matt,

I wish I could get you to see how utterly ridiculous this "Latria", "Dulia", "Hyper-Dulia" nonsense is. Its utterly absurd.

Matt, when Moses came down from the mountain and saw Gods people commiting idolatry with the golden calf, did he rush down there and breathlessly ask them...

"Please tell me...WHAT WORD ARE YOU USING for what you are doing? What are you choosing to call it???!!!"

Of course not.

He observered what was going on and he knew what it was.

If they had quickly picked some other word for it to try and pull the wool over his eyes it wouldnt have fooled him.

And these little word games do not fool us, and they dont fool God.

Its no different than the little boy who is caught stealing a little model car from the drug store. When he is caught what does every little boy say?

"Oh...I didnt steal it...I was just BORROWING it!"

That little word game doesnt work, and neither does the Catholic Churchs little word games.

We see with our own eyes how the sinner saved by grace Mary is elevated, is "high and lifted up", is credited with having the attributes of diety, and then is worshipped as a Goddess.

These little word games do not fool anyone, including God.

Sadly,

Mike

16. Matt Black

Site Supporter

DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]You are quoting from a Catholic prayer, "The Hail Mary," not the Scripture. You don't think I know the difference? I gave you the Scriptture references to look. That is not what Gabriel said. Look the Scripture up and quote the Scripture and show me any prayer that Gabriel said. Gabriel never gave any worship to Mary, only a greeting with a message.
    DHK
    </font>[/QUOTE]OK, I accept the last phrase is not Scriptural but the rest is straight from Luke 1:28

17. Alexander

Alexander New Member

DHK

Why are you so full of venom toward the Catholic Church and Catholics?

Why don't you love Catholics, the way our Lord loves them, and you and me?

Alexander

18. Matt Black

Site Supporter

We have a slight difference in approach then to the Bible and the NT in particular. One group of Christians do things in a certain way because they believe to find that way in the NT; the other group, to which I belong, do things in a certain way because our spiritual ancestors did them that way, and their spiritual ancestors too, and so on, right back to NT times and therefore to us, whilst important, the NT is not the be all and end all of doctrine and practive; that's simply not what it's for.

19. Matt Black

Site Supporter

20. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Matt,

We know that. Thats one of the many grave problems with the Catholic Church. Possibly the gravest, since all the others would probably disapear in time if the Catholic Church would adopt the proper attitude towards the scriptures.

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, reproof, correction, instruction in rightiousness, that the man of God might be complete, and thoroughly equipped for every good work"

"And these were more noble than those at Thessolanica, in that they searched the scriptures daily, to see whether these things are so"

And Jesus Christ sounded like a broken record sometimes...

"Is it not written?..."

"Have you not read?..."

"Is it not written?..."

"Have you not read?..."

"Is it not written?..."

Etc etc etc

God is so very clear regarding this issue.

Mike