1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans 1:18-2:29

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by saturneptune, Sep 11, 2012.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

What level of enlightment about God do the above verses give man? It is enough to make everyone of us without excuse before the Lord. Yet, Romans 10:17, says faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God, which produces salvation and eternal life. I heard a sermon years ago that said Romans 1 and 2 makes man aware of the Father, and Romans 10:17 aware of the Son. What do you think?

Civil responses are appreciated.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

This is an interesting topic. Let me throw out some thoughts.

Paul clearly says that creation points us toward a Creator. The savage in the thickest jungle can observe natural law, which suggests that there is a Lawgiver.

One of my pastors said once, "If they will follow the light that they are given, God will give them more light. If they reject that light, God is under no obligation to give them more light."

Then, there is the question, how can they be "wthout excuse" for rejecting Christ of whom they have never heard, and know nothing. They will be condemned, but not for rejecting Christ. So, on what basis will they be condemned.

Romans 2:14-15 give us a clue
    I read this to mean that all of us have "in our hearts" a sense of right and wrong. It may be misguided, but we all have some sort of moral code.

From what we know about our sinful nature, we can conclude that we can't even keep our own moral code perfectly--and that failure is what will produce condemnation. Further, we will have to acknowledge that God's justice is true.

So, that leaves those who have never heard the gospel "without excuse."