1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Romans 10:19, 11:11 Provoke to jealousy?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by webdog, Jun 6, 2013.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    if by any means I may provoke to jealousy them that are my flesh, and may save some of them. Ro 11:14

I’ll paraphrase the verse the way I think you all take it to mean:

if by any means I may provoke to jealousy them that are my flesh, and cause some of them to go to heaven

He means it in the same sense as Acts 2:40:

And with many other words he testified, and exhorted them, saying, Save yourselves from this crooked generation.

Or Acts 3:23:

And it shall be, that every soul that shall not hearken to that prophet, shall be utterly destroyed from among the people.

Or Rev 18:4:

Come forth, my people, out of her, that ye have no fellowship with her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues:

It’s significant that the OP reference is from the Song of Moses.

#41 kyredneck, Jun 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
  2. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

3. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

just as the High priest and his angels in the day of Christ had blinded the minds of those in that generation--so it is today--the Religious that hold to such false traditions are blinding minds of our generation and when some come to Christ they have all that false baggage added to them.

Thank God that he still opens eyes and grants understanding in TRUTH.

Men will still hold to their Futurist views until God shines his Light into the Hearts and souls of men--May God shine today in them:godisgood::

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gamaliel wasn't provoked to jealousy. And though Esau was jealous of Jacob, he wasn't elect.

There will be some in the crowd of those who are provoked who are also elect.

Puh-leeze.

#44 Aaron, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013
  5. AresMan

AresMan Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Oh, buh-ruther.

Rom 11:14 If by any means I may provoke to emulation them which are my flesh, and might save some of them.

Rom 11:17 And if some of the branches be broken off, and thou, being a wild olive tree, wert graffed in among them, and with them partakest of the root and fatness of the olive tree;

Rom 11:25 For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
    Rom 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
    Rom 11:27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

The partial blindness to Israel is also associated with the fact that the ones NOT blinded are God's elect that He has "reserved to myself."

Rom 11:4 But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
    Rom 11:5 Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

According to the prophesy of the New Covenant in Jeremiah 31:31-34, "ALL shall know me from the least to the greatest of them." God also prophesied that He would use Israel (and specifically, the apostles) as a light to save the Gentiles. The partial blindness is the fulfillment of how God instituted the New Covenant: an elect remnant of national Israel with Gentiles grafted in. Jew and Gentile alike. The constitution of Israel now is a diaspora of believers, not a geopolitical entity of believers and unbelievers.

I don't see how anything in Romans 11 conflicts with Calvinism. On the contrary, it shows how God sovereignly fashioned Israel under the New Covenant with blindness and election.

6. HisWitness

HisWitness New Member

what do you suppose they were gonna be saved from ?
    saved from the wrath of God---Right ??
    what was the wrath of God that it was talkin g about in that day ??

Was it not the destruction of the city and temple of the Jews for their Unbelief ?? happened in ad 70
    Those who believed escaped that wrath and they were told to Flee the city when they saw the city compassed about with armies-that the desolation was at hand that Daniel spoke about.

I do realize that their sins was forgiven also--maybe that's why the forgiven ones was to escape that wrath and the unbelievers would remain in their sins and pay for their sins in that wrath of God that over took them in that day ?? just some thoughts to think about

#46 HisWitness, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013