1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans 2:14

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jkdbuck76, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I started this in another thread,
    but I'd like to keep it away from
    the original thread. So here it is.

Let me ask this:

If we are all totally depraved, how is it that
    unsaved man, by nature, do that which is
    in the Law?
    See Romans 2:14.

I'm asking.....I'm not roping people into
    arguments.

If unsaved man is depraved, how do they
    do the things in the law? Which law?

2. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Here is the text.

How did the requirements of the law get written on their hearts? Is this something that is true of all men, by default, Jews and Gentiles alike? No, it is not, as is demonstrated by scripture.

The above is from Jeremiah and is speaking of the Jews, but it demonstrates that they did not have the law written on their hearts. God promised He would write it on their hearts after He punished them.

You can try to isolate that passage if you wish, but it only takes one exception to prove that man does not have the law written on his heart by default.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Either you are correct in your reasoning, or Paul is...

Rom 1:16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
    Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith for faith, as it is written, "The righteous shall live by faith."
    Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth.
    Rom 1:19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them.
    Rom 1:20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
    Rom 1:21 For although they knew God, they did not honor him as God or give thanks to him, but they became futile in their thinking, and their foolish hearts were darkened.
    Rom 1:22 Claiming to be wise, they became fools,

4. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

There was a time when you could go into just about any small town in the USA and find most folks living there, Christian and non, behaving "in a Christian manner." You couldn't tell Christian from non just by talking to them, observing them, for the most part. Everyone was just being nice. They may not have been knowingly following Christian convictions, but they followed a certain convention. There are some mighty nice Mormons all over Utah. That's how depraved folks follow the law.

It is getting harder and harder to find a town like that today. I remember one, where I walked to and from school, a city mile, never once being afraid. I go back there from time-to-time, but the old school house is gone, replaced by the Police Department building. Back then, there was one Town Marshall, with little to do.

:tear: