1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans 2 - What is the context?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Allan, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Allan

Allan Active Member

In another thread a poster stated this concerning the context of Romans chapter 2:
    To which I disagree, and then the poster gave this rendering of which was posted not once but apparently twice (another time in another thread).
    I realize the poster is skipping around like a mad hatter but...
    the question is this:
    What is the context of Romans chapter 2?
    Is it speaking of men, who have have never heard or known of the law given to the Jews (or even the gospel or Christ), being regenerate and living godly lives (IOW- Saved having never known or believed)?
    OR
    Is it speaking of something else?

If something else then please explain not only 'what' but 'why', so we can evaluate the content of the context.

I will give my view after a little bit, just curious to see your thoughts out there.

#1 Allan, Nov 18, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
  2. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Allan, why didn't you just answer the question that I posed twice on the thread instead of starting another thread?:

With all your great learning and gray matter you shouldn't have a problem building the case, excluding Romans 2:14,15, of course because the passage most definitely is not about some ' inner conscience of the moral law of God' in unregenerate man.

To answer your question, “Romans 2, what is the context”; again you
    COULD have participated in that thread instead of creating this redundancy:

And more from the thread:

#2 kyredneck, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2009
  3. Allan

Allan Active Member

Because this is a different topic and thus I created a 'different' thread.
    I was being polite and didn't wish to derail the other thread.

BTW - you haven't answered the OP at all, you just reposted what I already posted.

4. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The context of Romans 1-7 is that all men stand condemned before God. The Jews stand condemned for violating the Law given to them by God. The Gentiles stand condemned for violating the law written on their hearts, violating their conscience.

The purpose of Romans 2 is to shame the Jews who condemned Gentiles for their actions by pointing out that Gentiles keep some of God's commandments because of conscience even though they don't have God's Law, whereas the Jews where breaking God's Law even though they know better.

Paul's point, eventually, is that everyone is enslaved to sin and stands condemned before God. The only hope is Christ Jesus who frees the elect/remnant/children of promise from sin and death and gives us a new life in the Spirit.

peace to you:praying:

#4 canadyjd, Nov 19, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2009
  5. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I agree 100% with this post.