1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Romans 6.....is there water baptism in the passage, or Spirit baptism ..primarily?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Jul 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

No it's not. You guys are purporting the literal immersion in water being made righteous. Jf this be the case, everyone immersed is made fit for heaven. Those who die, eventhough they've professed Christ, die eternally lost w/o being immersed.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said that. I have no iea where you ever got "baptism being made righteous" in any of my posts.

3. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Wonderful. Now carry this out further. Faith, a gift of God, coincides with repentance at the point of regeneration. All of this happens prior to immersion.

Is one righteous in Christ before they are immersed? If so, then does immersion make one more righteous?

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Righteousness is the theme of Romans 6......

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It is symbolic of my death to the world and its sinfulness, and my rising to a new life in Christ.
    No it isn't, and therefore irrelevant.
    Three thousand were saved, baptized and then added to the church.
    Do you believe the Scriptures.
    In Acts 10 Peter baptized Cornelius and the great crowd present of all that believed. Do you believe his account there and when he repeated the entire episode in chapter 11?
    Do you believe the apostles baptized unbelievers? And yet they baptized thousands?
    Was it the baptism or salvation through faith that saved them?
    There is no record of any of the 3,000 failing, nor any of the others I mentioned failing. Stick to the Scriptures not your experiences.

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Rev, look at the verses in this previous post of mine.....

7. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I refuse to debate anyone based on a false premise.
    Faith is not a gift of God given to unbelievers.

In the Bible faith is spoken of as a gift of the Spirit, and as a fruit of the Spirit.
    It is absurd to think that God would give either His gifts or fruit to the unregenerate. Instead of Calvinist rhetoric regurgitated, prove from the Scripture that it is a gift from God. Acts 11:18 won't help and neither will Eph.2:8,9.

8. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Try keeping up with me. They were baptized after being converted. They were viable canidates for baptism because they had the circumcision of the heart. They were already righteous because of the inward work of God.

Immersion is a sign to the world that Christ has converted them. That's the covenant God set up betwixt christians and the local church. No immersion, no membership.

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to be rude but I don't care. That in no way implies that I have said what you accused me of. Nor do I believe that you have established your position. I suppose I could go back and point you to my position that Paul was simply saying that in Baptism we identify with Christ's death, burial, and resurrection so then how could we walk in sin a ny longer.

He was using our identity in Christ, as expressed in water Baptism, as an example of why we should no longer walk in sin. In other words it is contrary to our confession we made when we were baptized.

10. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

You fail to believe much the bible says, I'm afraid....can't help the obstinate....

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK?.....I do not disagree with that. That does not change the fact that Paul used water baptism as an example of why we should not walk in sin.

12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

I will take this as admission that you cannot demonstrate that faith is a gift of God to the unregenerate. So be it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.