1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Romans 8:8

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by The Biblicist, Dec 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Nice spin......doesn't wash though. It is getting entertaining though. Next.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's it? That is all you got. Well we will see his reasoned explanation I'm sure.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ahhhh..........idle threats now.....is that all you got?? Bring it on.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There have been no threats. Just another example of why people are leaving and I get pms over this garbage.

5. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Where did I call anyone a "heretic" or accused anyone of teaching "heresy"?????? I simply defined my view of heresy and a heretic and applied it to anyone who repudiates that spiritual life/quickening/regeneration is the only way God saves sinners.

6. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

No sir! Not at all! I simply defined my view of heresy and a heretic and applied it "heresy" to any doctrine that repudiates new birth/regeneration/quickening/spiritual life to be the ONLY way God saves sinners.

I defined "heresy" as the repudiation of any Biblical teaching that the scriptures explicitly and clearly teach is a "must" or absolute necessity for salvation.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK that is clear as mud so let me ask another question based on that same post. In your view can one deny the Calvinist view of "effectual call" and be born again?

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why did you do that? How was it relevant?

9. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The phrase "effectual call" is not an expression found in the scriptures. However, quickened/regeneration/born from above/born of God/eternal life/called are all Biblical expressions that are used interchangably as you can only find "called" in Romans 8:30 rather than its other synonyms of the new birth.

I would never infer or call anyone a heretic that refused to acknowledge that the word "called" is used as a synonym for regeneration. However, I would call a person a heretic that repudiated the new birth and that was the point of my post.

The reason I chose to define heresy and heretic in that particular post and apply it to those who repudiate the new birth prior to the cross was due to the fact that Winman, although not saying it clearly, was near to inferring the new birth was only a Post-cross reality. However, as you can plainly see I did not accuse him of embracing that idea but made it plain if that was his intent or inference then I would treat it as absolute heresy rather than a mere difference of opinion or interpretation.

There is sufficient room for difference of opinion on many things but not in regard to the essentials of the faith. Those essentials are made quite clear in the Scriptures because the scriptures use language that explicitly demand they are essential and the new birth is such a teaching.

There can be no salvation for any sinner at any time apart from regeneration. That is not to say there are not other essentials as well (justification, sanctification, glorification; etc.) but repudiation of the new birth is heresy.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok well this was much clearer and better communicated here than before thanks for the clarification.

Do you hold that those who do not believe that regeneration is prior to salvation are heretics?

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont see why he should have to answer that. His views are his own & he entitled to hold them ....IE, no matter what he or I or anyone on here believes, as long as they dont publicly express them in a questioning of salvation manner there is no breaking of board rules.

12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If that is the case he should just say he cannot express his views on this board. But he brought up the idea that winman "might" be a heretic by his own admission. I am just trying to pin point why he beleives that winman "might" be a heretic as he confirmed in post 49.

#52 Revmitchell, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  13. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

I reserve the word "heresy" and "heretic" for those who repudiate Biblical teachings that the scriptues clearly express to be essential.

At one time I embraced that Arminian view and I was just as saved then as now. I believe my former view was error and those who embrace it are in error but I would not call them heretics.

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why did you ask the question in the first place? Is it some much needed personal information that you require from Bib, or is it something more? Please explain why the question was even presented?

15. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Because he implied winman "might" be a heretic. Maybe he should avoid making such references. He seems to have trouble debating without bringing it up. The implication of "might" be a heretic is no different than the other.

16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well put:thumbs: you've answered honestly & candidly so I hope that resolves the issue. Thanks

17. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So did you discover that winman is a heretic?

18. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

The scripture draws lines and we need to draw lines between what is merely a difference of opinion or interpretation about RELATIVELY non-essential matters versus ABSOLUTE essential matters. I drew that line because the content of discussion called for such a line to be drawn. On the other hand, if you drawn no line between relatively essentials versus absolute essentials that is your choosing. I believe I have a right to manifest where I draw that line.

#58 The Biblicist, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2013
  19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok well if in drawing such a line you make a clear implication that someone on this board is a heretic then you have crossed a line. So do you believe winman is a heretic based on what he has posted in this thread?

20. The Biblicist

Site Supporter

Let me clarify that line a bit further. I believe that absolute essentials are identified in scripture by:

1. Clear explicit absolute prohibitions or negatives: "exept ye repent ye shall all likewise perish" e.g.

2. Clear explicit absolute positives - "ye MUST be born again" e.g.

3. Clear explicit and necessary inferences; the doctrine of the Trinity for example.

4. Clear explicit and necessary essentials that distguish Biblical Christianity from all other world religions and predicted apostasy. (e.g. 1 Tim. 3:16-4:1-5; etc.).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.