1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Romans 9-15

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Iconoclast, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hello kyredneck,
    That is a quote from John Owen from his work entitled the grace and duty of being spiritually minded.
    He was pointing out that those outside of Christ no matter what their sins of choice are will all go into the second death.
    Some sinners think if they have not robbed a bank or committed murder that their sins are not too bad.....they are mistaken.
    He is not offering it as a translation of these fine verses but showing man's sinful hopeless condition apart from Jesus.
    That writing can be found online and is one of the best teachings I have ever read.
    The whole book is written on one verse.....Romans 8:6.

#81 Iconoclast, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  2. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
  3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    https://www.baptistboard.com/forums/baptist-theology-bible-study.4/

Paul is not addressing those outside of Christ in this passage:

11 And certain of you were these! but ye were washed, but ye were sanctified, but ye were declared righteous, in the name of the Lord Jesus, and in the Spirit of our God.

Note the introduction of the letter:

1 Paul, a called apostle of Jesus Christ, through the will of God, and Sosthenes the brother,
    2 to the assembly of God that is in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus, called saints, with all those calling upon the name of our Lord Jesus Christ in every place -- both theirs and ours: 1 Cor 1

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I had hoped that people would Google it and read some of the source material

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I will answer you on your thread when I stop for lunch...I asked you to clarify your position on there already.
    I believe the letter was written to the church and those others who attend with the church and for the benefit of unsaved.persons who read the passage or hear it preached.

6. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

After arguing concerning the saints being litigious he is representing this passage as 1) Of those outside of Christ to whom they bring their petty suits; 2) That they themselves were such in times past, but now are washed, sanctified, righteous. In this sense he is both addressing those outside of Christ and those in Christ. It is therefore absurd for them to bring things to be judged to those who are unconverted. 1:1, 2 do not prove your argument brother, albeit it is a good point, yet most recognize that this letter is addressed to saints.

1Co 6:6 but brother goes to law against brother, and that before unbelievers?
    1Co 6:7 To have lawsuits at all with one another is already a defeat for you. Why not rather suffer wrong? Why not rather be defrauded?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    humble.jpg

8. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm just humble enough to believe that Hebrews chapter 12 verse 14 is a and not an option. Do you believe that?
    You could answer this in the other thread keep this thread for the discussion on Romans 9 if you could I'm still waiting for you to respond to the links and some of the verse is offered

9. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    moved to other thread...

#89 JonShaff, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  10. JonShaff

JonShaff Fellow Servant
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    back to Romans 9-16

Have i had time to read all of what you posted? No. Have i read some of it? Yes. Do i agree with It? Half of it. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We all want truth so while it is good we have found some agreement....I believe it is more important that we hear how other godly believers have seen the text.
    I am still learning much on all of these topics....I read and listen to all reasonably responsible teachers and sort them out.
    I am not necessarily amill, but I share much in common with some of their teaching.
    Kim Riddlebarger offers a solidly biblical view....let me know what you think of the verses he sees in the NT about this.