1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans Chapter Ten

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by R. J., Dec 22, 2006.

1. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Romans Chapter Ten

This chapter is about how Gentiles get saved but Paul uses this as an example to the Jews for whom he has a burden.

Romans 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is, that they might be saved. 2 For I bear them record that they have a zeal of God, but not according to knowledge. 3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. 4 For Christ [is] the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. 5 For Moses describeth the righteousness which is of the law, That the man which doeth those things shall live by them. 6 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down [from above]:) 7 Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.)

Paul starts this passage by telling the Roman Christians that his heart's desire and prayer to God is that Israel might be saved.

In verse 2, we find that Israel's problem is not zeal, but lack of knowledge. This verse applies to especially to Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons. Both of these cults have more zeal than most denominations but their zeal is misguided because of lack of knowledge.

Verse 3 speaks of Israel but the application to unsaved Gentiles is obvious. The unbeliever is going to Hell because he pits his personal righteousness against God's righteousness.

Think about that for a moment. If the Lord Jesus Christ has completely fulfilled the righteousness of the Law (and He has), then what God offers an unsaved person is the righteousness of a perfect Man. When the unbeliever passes up that righteousness, he is basically claiming that he is better than Jesus Christ.

Verse 4 is short but powerful. Let's repeat it here:

Romans 10:4 For Christ [is] the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

A believer gets all of the righteousness that was in the Law through the Lord Jesus Christ because He kept the Law completely. But, wait a minute. The verse states that Christ is the END of the Law.

When Jesus Christ died on the cross and made the BLOOD ATONEMENT for sin, that ENDED the time of the Old Testament when righteousness was attributed to a person according to how he kept the Law.

In verses 5 and 6, Paul contrasts "the righteousness which is of the Law" and "the righteousness which is of faith". In the Old Testament, the righteousness of the Law was given to folks who by faith DID those things written in the Law and LIVED by them. Here is a great example:

Luke 1:5 There was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife [was] of the daughters of Aaron, and her name [was] Elisabeth. 6 And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

That is Old Testament SALVATION by FAITH and WORKS.

Let's look at what happened to a RIGHTEOUS person who DIDN'T do those things written in the Law:

Ezekiel 18:24 But when the righteous turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, [and] doeth according to all the abominations that the wicked [man] doeth, shall he live? All his righteousness that he hath done shall not be mentioned: in his trespass that he hath trespassed, and in his sin that he hath sinned, in them shall he die. . . . . 26 When a righteous [man] turneth away from his righteousness, and committeth iniquity, and dieth in them; for his iniquity that he hath done shall he die.

Now look what Jesus had to say about someone who dies in their sins:

[FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]John 8:21[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif] Then said Jesus again unto them, I go my way, and ye shall seek me, and shall die in your sins: whither I go, ye cannot come. . . . . .[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif]24[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Geneva,Verdana,Sans-Serif] I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am [he], ye shall die in your sins.[/FONT]

--- Continued on next post ---

2. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Romans Chapter Ten (Continued)

Romans 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, [even] in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; 9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. 10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. 11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed. 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

This passage contains the essential verses on HOW to be saved. In verse 8, "the word of faith, which we preach" is found elsewhere in Paul's epistles:

1 Corinthians 15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. 3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: [it is] the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
    A person is saved when they BELIEVE the gospel of the grace of God as quoted in the verses above. Now, in Romans 10:9-10 and 13, Paul explains HOW to believe the gospel:
    1. Confess with the mouth that Jesus Christ died for your sins. Note carefully that this IS NOT a "confession of sins".
    2. Believe in the heart that God raised Jesus Christ from the dead. The resurrection makes the blood atonement bring about a change in the believer's life.
    Think about it. Without the resurrection, the best a believer could hope for would be exactly what the Old Testament saints received, a "raincheck" to Heaven and a wait in Abraham's bosom. Here is the verse that substantiates:

1 Corinthians 15:17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith [is] vain; ye are yet in your sins.

If God had not raised Jesus Christ from the dead, then:
    1. Christ would have been proven a man like any other (Romans 1:4).
    2. Believers could not be justified completely before God (Romans 4:25).
    3. Believers could lose whatever salvation they had obtained (Acts 13:34).
    4. Believers would have no "new man" and be born again (Romans 6:4).
    In summary, if an unsaved person confesses Jesus Christ with his mouth and believes in the resurrection of Jesus Christ IN HIS HEART, he will be saved. That's it.
    Now the question is, how does one believe IN HIS HEART? You can tell that you are believing with your heart when you rely on and trust something.

Head belief is knowing ABOUT Christ. Heart belief is TRUSTING IN Christ. Believers rely on and trust in Jesus Christ to keep them out of HELL.

Romans 10:14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?

This passage concerns the preaching of the gospel. This preaching is certainly not limited to ordained ministers. It is simply telling someone the gospel message of 1 Corinthians 15:1-4. Every Christian is obligated to preach the gospel at any given time.

There are two groups that "preach Christ" in Philippians 1:12-17 and no one in that passage is a pastor, a Sunday School teacher, a missionary, an elder or a deacon.

Whenever the gospel is preached, some folks reject it and some believe it. Those who believe it "call upon the name of the Lord" for salvation (Romans 10:13).

Verse 15 is a quote from Isaiah 52:7 and Nahum 1:15. Here is another example where Paul takes Old Testament verses and applies them to the Church age. Doctrinally, the verses pertain to the second advent and the beginning of the Millennium.

Both Old Testament verses speak of peace, however, Paul applies them to the spiritual peace that is given to those that believe the gospel.

The Lord says that "beautiful are the feet" of believers who:
    1. takes the gospel to the lost,
    2. passes out tracts,
    3. goes on visitation, and
    4. goes door to door with the gospel.
    A believer should be so situated in his own heart and life that he can preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Keep it simple and to the point. Avoid giving Too Much Information (TMI).

Finally, verse 16 is a quote from Isaiah 53:1 and notes that not everyone who has heard the gospel will believe. Obeying the gospel is believing the report that God gave of His Son and trusting only in Him for salvation.

--- Continued on next post ---

3. R. J.

R. J. New Member

Romans Chapter Ten (Continued)

Romans 10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. 18 But I say, Have they not heard? Yes verily, their sound went into all the earth, and their words unto the ends of the world. 19 But I say, Did not Israel know? First Moses saith, I will provoke you to jealousy by [them that are] no people, [and] by a foolish nation I will anger you. 20 But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me. 21 But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

This passage is a focal point for the change from Israel being a light unto the Gentiles to the Gentiles provoking Israel to jealousy.

Verse 17 should be committed to memory. The "faith" is the faith in the gospel message. The "hearing" is hearing with understanding so a person can act upon that understanding.

In verse 18, Paul addresses the issue of whether or not Israel has heard the gospel.

In verse 19, Paul quotes Deuteronomy 32:21 to prove that Israel did know. Here is the verse at which we will look more closely later:

Deuteronomy 32:21 They have moved me to jealousy with [that which is] not God; they have provoked me to anger with their vanities: and
    I will move them to jealousy with [those which are] not a people;
    I will provoke them to anger with a foolish nation.

In verse 20, Paul reinforces his claim by quoting Isaiah 65:1-2.

Now, let's go back and examine Deuteronomy 32:21 in a little more detail as there are TWO things being discussed:
    1. Israel will be provoked to jealousy with those which are not a people.
    2. Israel will be provoked to anger with a foolish nation.
    Let's look at a verse that substantiates exactly who will provoke Israel to jealousy:

Romans 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but [rather] through their fall salvation [is come] unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

So, the GENTILES, those which are not a people, are the ones to provoke Israel to jealousy.

So who is the "foolish nation" that provokes Israel to anger? Could it be the "Israel of God" (Galatians 6:16), the "remnant according to the election of grace" (Romans 11:5)?

The unbelieving Jews were provoked to anger many times during both the Lord Jesus Christ's earthly ministry and the apostle Paul's ministry. Take a look at Luke 4:24-29 where the Jews tried to murder the Lord Jesus. And, look at Acts 22:21-23 where Paul angered the Jews in Jerusalem.

Finally, in verse 21, we end with a spiritual application to the lost person. The Lord reaches out to that lost person "all day long". The lost person can either receive the gospel and be saved or reject it and end up in Hell.

--- End of Romans Chapter Ten ---