1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Roman's Road Soul-Winning Method

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Askjo, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I researched and studied about the soul-winning method. Some quotations on this method are what I found interestingly, but I noticed they contradict each other because I realized that someone who was a famous preacher, invented this method in 1960's. Let me explain some details on 3 questions.

1. Is Roman Road soul-winning method called, "easy believism" gospel?

2. Is Roman Road soul-winning method called, "non-repentant conversion"?

3. Is Roman Road soul-winning method the Charismatic practice of "just-taking-Jesus-into-your-life"?

Ok, if problems, let me explain 3 questions above.

Dr. Jack Hyles used the "Road Road" method to win losts to Jesus because he invented this method. Look closely at him and his soul-winning method. Some of you including myself know that his church uses "easy-believism" soul-winning method without the repentance. Did Jack Hyles teach wrongly about the repentance? The old doctrine of repentance is the enemy of the Hyles soul winning.

Did "Roman Road" Scriptures say anything about the repentance?

We watched many Charismatic churches on TV program. Did their preachers call for "healing" the sick? Benny Hill? Paul Crouch? Wait! Did they call their people for repentance? Just taking Jesus in your heart without repentance?

I ask you to analyze these Scriptures on Roman Road soul-winning method. Let's discuss on this subject, please!

[title edited by request]

[ February 19, 2004, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Dr. Bob Griffin ]

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Interesting question. I am reading Pilgrim's Progress and my thoughts were tweaked last night as I read Bunyun's account of the salvation of Hopeful. It was much involved than the Roman's Road concept.

This topic merits further study.

3. firedome

firedome New Member

I believe that the RR technique is most damaging in witnessing. I believe it can and most often does become each one of the 3. I am including a link that answers this much better than I ever could. Check it out. Living Waters .

Maranatha,
    Rodney

4. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I learned to use the Roman Road back 45 or so years ago to lead the lost to Jesus. Jack Hyles didn't invent this. It's just scripture. Maybe he had some 'words to say' type guide to go along with this scripture that I've not heard of.

I dislike the F.A.I.T.H. method but took the class in my church and used it when we made those faith calls. 'What, in your opinion, does it take for a person to go to heaven when they die?'

The Roman Road, when used only as scripture references, along with some heart felt words, will guide a person on how to accept Christ.

My Romans Road includes verses from Acts and Revelation.

Diane

5. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

The "Romans Road" does certainly present a truncated "gospel". Perhaps this passage from Romans should be included in the Romans Road plan to mitigate against "easy-believism" and shallow "conversions":

"Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? But in accordance with your hardness and your unrepentant heart, you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgement of God, who 'will render to each one according to his deeds': eternal life to those who by patient continuence in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortalitly; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness--indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also for the Greek". Romans 2:5-9

And here's another:
    "Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one's slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?" Romans 6:16

And another:
    "For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body you will live." Romans 8:13

And finally:
    "For if God did not spare the natural branches, He may not spare you either. Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness, if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you will also be cut off." Romans 11:21-22.

6. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Any evangelistic tool made by a person is bound to have problems with it. I know that this is not an issue here with the members of this bulletin board, but the Roman Road method is a much better evangelistic method than most Christians use - that is to say that most people who say they are Christians don't share their faith at all.

Roman Road or nothing...you tell me which one is better. The Roman Road is only a guide. The testimony is in the heart and on the lips of the soul-winner, and each one should be prepared to tell about repentance in their testimony.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Since the Romans road is scripture I see nothing wrong with it. I think it is all in how a person uses it. We always have used verses that teach one needs to repent. I have seen it used many times and never once was repentance left out of it.
    Exactly!

8. vaspers

vaspers New Member

I used to just say flat out to people, "What do you think of Jesus Christ?" many years ago when I was a teen Jesus People type. Witnessing was easy, fun, exciting, enlightening, and many got saved that way. Just casual conversation on the topic I loved the most. If you love a music group, a discovery in astronomy, a computer, a great movie, a wonderful girlfriend, a football star, a good book, it's easy to chat about them endlessly. That's Lovelorn Evangelism. F.A.I.T.H. newbies from our church are coming over tonight to practice their skills on me and wife. I though, don't care for "canned speech" evangelism approaches, but that's just my opinion. Whatever works, yet yes--Repentance is absolutely required. That's hot topic with Charles Finney. He is really good on that topic.

9. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Roman's Road soul-winning Scriptures are Romans 3:10; 3:23; 5:12; 5:8; 6:23; 10:9-10; 10:13.

These Scriptures are famous for soul-winning method. I am aware of this method for many years. Where are these Scriptures that I listed above to call sinners to repent?

10. Askjo

Askjo New Member

Please explain, what cause RR techique to be damaged? What did you find this damage?

11. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Askjo, you are absolutely correct on this point. The Romans Road presents only a partial gospel. Without repentance, there is not salvation.

This was so typical of Jack Hyles though. He was such a theological liberal. It surprises me that so many blindly follow him.

12. Askjo

Askjo New Member

That's the question I wonder why.

13. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

It is just so easy to tell a person to add Jesus to their life so that they can go back and tell people of how many 'got saved' from visitation.

Any chance I get, I try and expose the idiocy of Hyles and his foolishness that helped send many to hell (I guess he wanted some company).

14. Askjo

Askjo New Member

I found very interesting quotations from Dr. Robert Lightner, Th.D.

Robert wrote his book, "Sin, the Savior, and Salvation" quotating, "Some feel including repentance in addition to faith in the Gospel serves to REDUCE the number of 'easy believism' converts."

He still quoted, "Easy believism refers to those who "accept Christ" but whose lives reveal no commitment, fruit, or obedience to Christ."

Acts 20:20-21 "And how I kept back nothing that was profitable unto you, but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house, testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ."

Paul visited from house to house for his soul-winning method. Look closely at Acts 20:20-21. Notice that Paul testified about repentance and faith -- Paul's soul-winning method!

Any thoughts?

15. firedome

firedome New Member

Askjo,

I said that the Romans Road was damaging to the witnessing effort. Meaning, I do not support it. Here is a website that gives the closest thing to how I witness. LingWaters.com

16. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "soul-winning craze" was a result of the aberrent theology of Charles Finney who demanded MAN'S part of salvation be primary.

Theology was secondary, decisions were primary.

So what's the EASIEST way to get ##'s of people? Romans Road works.

Sadly, the entire Romans 2 section on repentance and sin is way too complicated and too time consuming. So it's usually not included.

Result? Salvation is suspect.

17. justdan

justdan New Member

I don't think the problem is with the "Romans Road". Rom. 3:23 shows the need for repentance. The problem is with pressuring people to make a decission or say a prayer, as if the words are some how magical! I believe salvation takes an act of faith on our part.

18. Askjo

Askjo New Member

What is the difference between "confess your sin" and "repent from your sin"?

19. justdan

justdan New Member

I think it is possible to confess with out repenting. For example if someone at work comes in and tells everone he got drunk and took some girl home, He has confessed, but he is bragging not repenting. I believe a person can feel bad about sin and say a prayer asking God to forgive them but if there is not an actual act of faith in God, it is just acting.
    That being said I think most people use those terms to mean the same thing.

20. Doubting Thomas

Doubting Thomas Active Member

My point exactly.