1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romans was not written to us......

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by DQuixote, Jun 22, 2007.

1. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

........according to "The Bible Answer Man", Hank Hannegraaff. It was written to Christians in Rome. While it is there "for" us, it is not "to" us. Therefore, we need not dismay ourselves with what it contains. In an interview on Christian radio today, he said the same thing about Galatians. He said some other interesting things, but I won't burden this post with those. Maybe later.

What say you?

p.s. He was promoting his "Legacy" bible and his book, "The Apocalypse Code".

#1 DQuixote, Jun 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2007
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Without seeing the context of that statemen, technically that letter was written to that Church in Rome...but we do benefit from it. The entire book of Romans deals with the jewish people, and God's ultimate plan for mankind. It is soteriology wrapped up in a nice package.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I guess that webdog's use of the word "technically" is key. I haven't thought of it as "for" vs "to" before.

4. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

This is essentially what he said during the interview:

Thus spaketh Hank Hanegraaff.

He speaketh not for me. :saint:

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Except there's no mention of Romans in it.

6. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

He is correct in saying it was not written to us but is for us.

7. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Wow, I have heard people cut out almost all of the bible as irrelevant today but that is the first I have heard of the Pauline epistles!
    Wow, there is now nothing left!

8. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    to - "a function word used to indicate the receiver of an act..."

for - "a function word used to indicate the recipient of an activity"

:BangHead:

It's very simple. The book of Romans was written to the church in Rome. See Romans 1:7.

The book of Romans was written for the entire bride of Christ. See 2 Timothy 3:16

9. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

well this isn't the first time Hank has been wrong. (Also in the above quote I don't see anything about Romans.)

The point here should be made that while the intention of Paul was for the Roman Christians in his day, the moment the letter was accepted by the Church and added to the NT Canonization process and ratified it became normative for us.

10. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see the problem. Paul did not think of StefanM, preachinjesus, or Scarlett O. when he wrote Romans. Period. It was not written TO us.

It is there FOR our benefit, though.

11. MrJim

MrJim New Member

I've heard this idea though...that there is a context to all the NT letters and they have to be read through that context else it is subject to wild misinterpretations...there's a teacher named Frank Viola (not the baseball player) that has some books that teach toward that end.

Of course there's nothing to that idea, I mean look at the church today~even the Baptist church~and ya see that everyone clearly understands and interprets scripture properly and accurately:laugh: and there's never any arguments over this:tonofbricks:

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What are you talking about?!? Who said anything about cutting out most of the Bible as irreleveant? Me thinks the strawman erecting has begun...

13. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

For those posters who "don't see Romans" in there, please combine my first and second posts. I guess I should have written, in the second post, something like "In addition to identifying Romans and Galatians as not "to" us, Hank said this: blah blah blah......"

Further, Hank was saying that our interpretations of Romans as applying to endtimes prophecy is in error. It wasn't written "to" us to warn us about the endtimes. It was written to the church in Rome to warn them about 70 a.d. Galatians was written to the "foolish Galatians", not to us today.

He identified Tim LaHaye and Hal Lindsey as responsible for rabid misinterpretation of scripture.

(npetreley: This info about Tim and Hal is in addition to each of my posts. See, in English, we don't have to repeat some information each time we post. 99% of folks know that. If I can assist you further, please let me know.) :wavey:

#13 DQuixote, Jun 23, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

While the letter is addressed specifically to the church at Rome, Paul, who would not have been a 'member' of that church, at the time he wrote the Epistle, expands the scope of the letter, by the use of "we", later in the Epistle. So, in that sense, it is "to" us as well as "for" us.

I guess that technically, one could say that the only books of the NT that are addressed with a "broad enough scope" to be considered "to" us, by the 'wording' are I Corinthians, II Peter, Jude, and Revelation. But this seems to be attempting to overly overstepping the intent, IMO. Scarlett O., I believe it was, suggested the same with the citing of II Tim. 3:16, in different words. I agree. Though we are not the ones addressed, technically, all the Epistles are "to" us, and even moreso, in this, as, say, some of the OT prophets, which are addressed specifically to Israel or Judah. Properly, those books are "for" us, although not "to" us.
    Just my two farthings worth.

Ed

15. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

MrJim is correct on reading and understanding "in context", IMO. :thumbs:

Ed

16. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just goes to show you the absolute power of words.....even words like, "to" and "for". :laugh: :laugh:

17. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uhhh....can you tell us which church accepted it and canonized it ?

18. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I betcha somebody's bound to show up and say 2 Timothy 3:16 is a pastoral letter, written to Pastor Timothy. That'll be interesting.

19. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

I think I've figured it out. If we just see the whole of the NT has written to folks back then, then we can say that it contains a lot of good ideas for us, but nothing demanding our attention. Then we can pick and choose whatever good ideas speak to each of us. Someone will blow it, though, by forming the "Church of Good Ideas" and they'll spring up on every corner. Sort of like our public schools where kids are taught that truth is relative. Or Kenneth Copeland and his "I said you are gods!"

:1_grouphug: <----discussing good ideas...........

20. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Unfortunately there are people that think that. And what's even worse is the folks that believe the Scriptures are to us and for us but still do "their" own thing :tear:. You get all kinds.