1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romney Defends Shift on Issues

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Dec 22, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romney defends shift on issues

Faces questions at N.H. event

By James W. Pindell, Globe Correspondent | December 22, 2006​

MANCHESTER, N.H. -- Governor Mitt Romney defended his conservative bona fides yesterday before an audience of skeptics and supporters curious about his rightward shift on several hot-button social issues as he readies for a run for president.

In what was billed as a friendly holiday get-together organized by his political committee, Romney faced questions about his evolving views following reports in the Globe and other publications that examined his positions on abortion, stem cell research, and gay rights.

- more at http://tinyurl.com/yn5nwg

2. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

Did he offer any comments on his belief that new Israel and new Jerusalem was in fact right here in the USA, in Ohio --oops-- Missouri --oops-- Illinois -- oops--Kansas -- oops -- Utah; that God's chosen American Indians (the remnant of Joseph; the Lamanites)(dna verifiable, of course), were taught and worshipped at a mountain in Missouri; and his (Romney's) acceptance of several counterfeit documents penned by Joe Smith et al, including the infamous "Book of Abraham" translation, much of which Joe gleaned while peering into a seer's stone?

Voting for Mitt Romney is as bad as voting for an Islamist for president. Ernest Istook, the Congressperson from Oklahoma, resigned his seat to run for governor there, believing that Romney's election as President signaled a fulfilled Joe Smith prophecy, and Romney would need a Mormon (Istook) in charge in Oklahoma, as the LDS church set about taking over the reigns of a theocracy in the USA. Mormonism in general bought that story, and you watch, billions of Mormon dollars flowing into Romney's election campaign. Problem is, Istook lost the race for governor. His only hope now is that Romney will appoint him to some prestigious position in his administration. Yep, all we have to do now is wait for Mormons to occupy the White House and strategic positions. Will they lock arms with the Islamists? News at 10!!

Wake up, America!!

:wavey: <-----Hello? r u out there? Hello?

3. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==While I have been guilty of the above mistake in the past this is something we need to avoid. The United States Constitution states very clearly...

"The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the members of the several State legislatures, and all executive and judicial officers both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by oath or affirmation to support this Constitution; but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States" -Article VI

That means that all Americans who are legally qualified, regardless of religious beliefs, can hold political office.

4. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) No, as Mitt is running for president of the United States. He is not running for pastor of your church.

2) Hehe.

3) "Signaled"???? I didn't know that Mitt had been elected president of the United States. When did this happen?

4) Billions, eh? I wish that would happen as that would be far and away a new record for one candidate's presidential campaign.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Referring to cynicism by the New York Times about Mitt's anti-embryonic stem cell research position:

"It is difficult to take such cynicism seriously when one considers that Romney's wife, Ann, suffers from multiple sclerosis, a disease that backers of stem cell research claim might be cured if they are permitted to do whatever they wish to embryos. That the Romneys would put their principles ahead of self-interest is rare in politics."

and referring to Mitt's opposition to an embryonic stem cell research bill in Massachusetts:

"If Romney wins this battle, he will have done so on principle. Perhaps his stand will serve as an example of what can happen when a politician puts more noble things ahead of self-interest."

- from a column by Cal Thomas(http://tinyurl.com/uksz4)

#5 KenH, Dec 22, 2006
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2006
  6. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

That means the goverment cannot have a religious test as a qualification. A voter can vote or not vote for a person based on whatever reason he/she wants including religion.

Qualifications limit people who can run for office.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious, but to those who are opposed to Mitt based on religious grounds - do you believe that a Baptist should only vote for a Baptist? Do you believe that it is a sin for a Baptist to vote for someone who is not a Baptist?

8. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

No and I would generaly agree that religion does not play a roll. But some particular religions I think do have an effect on how good a POTUS a person would be.

For example I would not vote for a satanist.

I think the fact that Mormon polititions consult with their prophet on issues is a deal breaker for me. I have seen it with every LDS politition I have ever heard of.

9. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

http://www.sltrib.com/lds/ci_4845679

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can you give an example on a policy issue where being a Mormon - as opposed to a Christian of another denomination that you approve of - affected how Mitt handled it? Or can you prove such about his father when he was the governor of Michigan in the 1960s?

So far, no one has given such evidence about any issue of governmental policy about Mitt.

So far, it looks like a smear campaign being conducted by folks who should know better than to engage in such.

And such folks had best be careful or they may end up with someone such as Hillary Clinton or John McCain or Rudy Guiliani as president. Then they'll be beating their breasts and tearing their clothes over it.

Maybe such folks would rather curse the darkness instead of lighting a candle.

#10 KenH, Dec 22, 2006
  11. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Ken
    I already posted this artical

Is it not a good enough reason that I do not want my president to consult with an LDS prophet before making decitions. If I wanted that I would just vote for Gordon B Hinckley.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is not about a governmental policy issue.

I am talking about GOVERNMENTAL POLICY.

Come now. Mitt has been a governor for four years and, if I recall correctly, his dad was the governor of Michigan for six years. Surely if there is any substance at all to what you charge you could find one governmental policy issue over ten years of public service to prove your point about Mitt or his dad.

And so far, you have not done so.

#12 KenH, Dec 22, 2006
  13. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Ken

You never did answer my question as to why you have all of a sudden jumped on the 2 party bus.

I thought you were a Liberaterian? Why do you like Mitt so much, he is far far from libretarian.

14. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I dont follow his policys that much because I am not in his state. There are other reasons not to vote for a person.

I would not vote for the uni bomber even if his politics were in line with mine. I would not vote for Charles Manson even if he was the most conservative minded person there was.

15. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

One more question for you Ken.

In 2008 would you vote for a Muslim for President of the United States?

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you are making this charge against Mitt without any proof whatsoever that he has done this. The reader should note this fact.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I thought he/she would make a better president than the other folks on the ballot - yes.

18. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am a libertarian philosophically but I have not been a member of the Libertarian Party for a number of years and have not voted for a Libertarian Party candidate since 1996.

19. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

I do not need proof. We are talking about who we are going to vote for not a court trial. Do you have any proof that Al Gore would be a bad POTUS, if not then do you have to vote for him.

When voting it often comes down to WHO DO YOU TRUST. I am saying for me, my opinion I do not trust Mitt.

But I did offer evidence of what I think will be a trend.

More than a year ago, Mitt Romney sought the advice of LDS President Gordon B. Hinckley

20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I will not vote for a liberal such as Guiliani nor a moderate such as McCain. And Ron Paul isn't running for president in 2008.

Now on the positive side - Mitt is pro-life, anti-illegal immigration, anti-homosexual marriage, and anti-embryonic stem cell research. Also, he did a remarkable job in bringing together very diverse groups to get a health care reform bill passed in Massachusetts - even the Heritage Foundation applauded it.