1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romney Gains Support of Republican Traditionalists

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Dec 8, 2006.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Romney, No McCain, Gains Support of Republican Traditionalists

By Heidi Przybyla​

Dec. 8 (Bloomberg) -- New Hampshire activist Bruce Keough is signing up with Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney's burgeoning presidential campaign for one reason: He considers Romney the opposite of John McCain.

The Arizona senator's run-ins with the Bush administration have convinced Keough -- a former state senator who was wooed by both camps -- that Romney would be a more ideologically reliable Republican standard-bearer. ``There are many conservatives who are not enthusiastic about John McCain's candidacy,'' he said.

Converts such as Keough have pushed Romney to the top ranks of the Republican field. In Romney, who is courting social and religious traditionalists, they see a candidate who can energize Christian conservatives, stay on message and, in Keough's words, ``become an acceptable McCain alternative.''

- more at http://tinyurl.com/yd3pom

2. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Hmm... more evidence that the GOP is slowly becoming the democrat party.

Looking for an acceptable McCain alternative is essentially looking for an acceptable alternative to winning.

In a Hillary/McCain contest, it would be McCain for me. Romney is just a "more of the same, but less stealing" candidate, who seems unable to grasp that more of the same is what people don't want.

3. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Rep's don't have much to offer so far, but as Ken mentioned him last week or so, I'm leaning now more toward Romney. We survived a Catholic, and a couple marginal Christians, so I guess a Morman could get a chance. Well I guess I should add Ronald Reagan to the list of Christians.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hate to say it but, at this time, I don't like Mitt Romney's chances. The media, and other "forces", have already called this a McCain v. Giuliani race for the GOP nomination. It looks like Romney may end up being the next Alan Keyes, the person I supported in '00, or maybe a good vice presidential pick for a social liberal like McCain or Giuliani.

After looking at Romney I must say that I like what I see. If he was the candidate for the RNC I would certainly vote for him. If the RNC runs McCain or Giuliani I will either go third party or I will not vote. McCain, I believe, is a dangerous man. I have not forgotten his explosion on the Michael Reagan radio show back in '00, nor have I forgotten what he said about religious conservatives. I don't believe he has really changed his views, he has just change enough publicly to get some conservatives to support him. I also believe that he might get us sunk even deeper in Iraq. So, at the end of the day, I just don't trust McCain at all. As for Giuliani if the RNC runs that liberal I will not only vote third party or not vote at all I will change and become an independent. If the RNC goes with this guy it means one thing...they have 100% sold out.

If I had to guess, right now, I think the media (etc) have anointed John McCain (as they did Bush in '00). It will take alot to defeat him.

#4 Martin, Dec 9, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2006
  5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if conservatives sit on their hands. Unlike Keyes, Mitt should have a financial war chest to be on the same playing field with McCain and Guiliani.

6. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree, with this post.

McCain is a dangerous man, with a sick mind. I really think his stay at the Hanoi Hilton was quite damaging.