1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Romney is a Mormon -

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Salty, Jan 9, 2012.

?
  1. I will vote for Mitt because he is a Mormon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I will NOT vote for Mitt because he is a Mormon

4.8%
  3. I will vote for Mitt but his religion has nothing to do with it

9.5%
  4. I will NOT vote for Mitt but his religion has nothing to do with it

52.4%
  5. I will vote for Mitt rectuantly because he is a Mormon

4.8%
  6. I will vote for Mitt, but I will hold my nose because he is a Mormon

4.8%
  7. Other answer

23.8%
  1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I checked that I would reluctantly vote for Romney. By that, I mean for the Presidential race, not a primary race. No way I would intentionally select him as my candidate of choice. But IF it comes down to Romney or Obama, Romney gets my vote. At least HE has morals. :thumbsup:

2. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would perfer Newt to Romney in a primary because I do not believe the guy is properly vetted. I really do not believe he will handel himself well against BO & Axelrod & his gaffs about "Liking to Fire People" exemplifies a tone dephness into understanding the common worker in the street. This is the kind of stuff that can get the USA another 4 yrs of BO.....and that stinks. :laugh:

3. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not advocating for Romney; but you need to re-look at your "baloney" statement. Let's say you have three candidates: one liberal, one not as liberal, and one hard-core ultra-conservative. It's a given that the supporters of the first do not agree with the viewpoints of the third; the third has no real chance of pulling votes from that base. So the third can only swing votes away from the second. Thus, most, if not all, votes for the third take away from the second and benefit the first candidate.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Other answer.

I do not know at this point whether I would cast a vote for Romney in the general election or not, and him being a Mormon has zilch to do with it.

Question for you SN. If Romney was a Jew, and the thread title was 'Romney is a Jew', would your post #5 begin with:

I will not vote for Mitt Romney because he is a Jew.......

If not, please explain why not.

#24 kyredneck, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
  5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

A persons stated religious commitments mean little to me in terms of voting.

I have seen way too many "conservative Christian" candidates who lie, steal, cheat, and have adulterous affairs to believe any of them are worth believing at face value.

6. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

The problem with Gingrich is that he IS vetted and he turns his tail on the Party at every opportunity if there is money or fame involoved in it for him.

He TALKS a great line, and I will not take away from the knowledge -- especially of constitutional and national history -- that the man posesses, but his ACTIONS are other than his rhetoric, often enough so as to cause him to be a non-player in my boat.

Of course, like my response to the Romney question, I would not support Gingrich in the primary, but if he gained the nomination and was the candidate I would support him all the way. We CANNOT STAND another four years of a Marxist President who is wholesale selling out the America that we love.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Of course, lets replace him with a man who denies that Christ is God and Savior, that the Book of Mormon is authority over God's Word, panders for votes with the blood of innocent infants, changes his position on any issue to please a crowd, and is basically a clone of Bush, Clinton, and Obama. Smooth move.

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I will not vote for anyone who is not a Christian to the best of my knowledge. No exceptions, no apologies. If you wanted to compare a Jew to a Mormon, they both deny Jesus. However, at least the Jewish people at least follow their beliefs. Romney is not only a Mormon, he has no moral or spiritual bearing, and his position is whatever will garner votes at the moment. If you read C4Ks post, he is a clone of Obama, Clinton and Bush. Last election, I held my nose and voted for McCain. I have voted for the Republican nominee for the last 45 years. No more. Never again. If your standards are so low, enter a local limbo contest.

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Why do you put such stock in the Demcrat and Republican parties as the only choice? Where in the Constitution are these parties mentioned? We the people could dismantle them, and create two new parties if we had the will. But no, lets keep on with the same pattern we have since Reagan, electing half baked, liberal self serving slobs to keep the greater slob out of office.

I have news for all of you. Obama is going to win if Romney is the nominee.

10. targus

targus New Member

True, but why do you believe that would be any different?

Same system - new different party names.

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Intresting thoughts but OFF OP!!! I reccomend you start a new thread

This OP is about voting in the Primary (not general election) all BB members are invited to vote in this poll - even if you are not a registered Republician (like myself)

thank you for staying on the OP

12. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

And the penalty for that is.................

13. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you have no qualms about saying "I will not vote for xyz because they are Jewish."

That goes over like whale dung in most circles today. I've got no problem with it. You've your right to freedom of expression.

I did that too.

I think I agree with you this time around.

Have you considered Ron Paul?

#33 kyredneck, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
  14. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Just can't win, can you? :laugh:

15. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

My thought exactly.:thumbsup:

16. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You have one of the best posts of the thread. I agree except for one point. In 1960, when Richard Nixon ran against John Kennedy (the classic of all Presidential elections), Kennedy was the first Catholic to make a serious run for the Presidency. Now, in 2012, we have a Mormon running that, if nominated will more than likely lose to Obama. So the comparison is between voting for a Catholic vs voting for a Mormon. I was not quite old enough to vote in 1960, but would have probably considered both candidates without regard to religion. First of all, both were giants compared to what we have run since Reagan on both sides. Anyway, the reason Kennedy's faith would not have been an issue for me is that Catholics, no matter how different, believe that Jesus Christ is God, Divine, and Savior. Mormons do not believe Jesus Christ is God, bellieve He is a created being, and do not believe the Bible is God's only Word. I guess the difference is how someone views Jesus Christ.

17. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Such arrogance! YOU think about your vote while us poor simple-minded don't. YOU must think you are the only one here who has the intelligence to actually know which way to vote.

The way I see it is that you think the entire country thinks like you do; this might be a gross miscalculation on your part.

18. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

If I felt Gov Romney was qualified, a constitutionalist who believe in small government and individual/state's rights I would vote for him no matter what his choice of religion.

19. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Brian Williams on the evening news stuck in a clip of Mitt's father for no apparent reason. Romney spoke of coming from Mexico and being poor. Seems Mitt's grandparents fled to Mexico to flee Mormon persecution, his father was born in Mexico and Williams mentioned the Romney family in Mexico watching the election.

Seemed Williams was fishing for Spanish vote to me but then ......

20. billwald

billwald New Member

I will NOT vote for Mitt AND his religion has some thing to do with it. Better a Moslem than someone who thinks Jesus and Satan are twin brothers.