1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ron Paul & Earmarks

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by TomVols, Aug 16, 2007.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Last week (I believe, Friday), on CNBC's "Kudlow & Company", Rep. Paul gave a very good series of answers as to what he believed the govt's response should be to the stock market/subprime mortgage mess (nothing) and some good other answers on the economy/spending. But Kudlow then asked Paul about his (I believe) $400 million in earmarks he has requested for his district, two of which concerned studies in shrimping and marketing of shrimp. Paul defended the practice saying it was what everyone did and he should not be held to a different standard. He also blamed the system a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vg-AA7QjIc

(the earmarks conversation starts at 3:50)

How does this all gel with his verbal support of fiscal conservatism?

Just curious - not an attack. Thanks!

2. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I guess he really doesnt practice what he preaches.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

You actually said someone doesn't practice what they preach? And you continue to praise George Bush? What kind of thought process is that?

4. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

As he said in the interview he voted against the bills. Once they are approved anyway he would be doing his district a disservice by not bringing that money home. The members of his district are paying into the system, why should they be refused money when congress approves doling it out?

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I thought that was pretty flimsy and rather Clinton-esque on his part. I see his point. However, why be outspoken against fiscal irresponsibility, yet take advantage of it? I compare this to his voice support for life, but terrible pro-life voting record, among other issues.

The earmarks he has requested are not Constitutional in any way. He would not have to vote against them if he didn't put them in the bills in the first place.

Reminds me of a local business man who rented a building to what has become the largest Adult oriented business in the state. Yet he says he tells people not to go there. Meanwhile, he cashes a $7,000 a month rent check from the people. :rolleyes:

Despite his flimsy position on this, I did like most of what he said to Kudlow regarding the real market solution to the subprime issues some investors are facing.