1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ron Paul to Announce Candidacy on C-SPAN March 12, 7:30 a.m. EDT

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 10, 2007.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    March 10, 2007, 6:52PM

Rep. Ron Paul to run for president

By JOE STINEBAKER
    Associated Press Writer

HOUSTON — U.S. Rep. Ron Paul, a strict constitutionalist and fierce anti-war critic, will formally declare his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination Monday when he appears as a guest on a C-SPAN call-in program.

- www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/4619219.html

Yip! Yip! Yip! Yahooooooooo!!!! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

#1 KenH, Mar 10, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2007
  2. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

This is good news! :thumbs:

#2 poncho, Mar 10, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2007
  3. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Yep! This is going to be exciting to watch in the many months ahead.I just hope and pray his campaign will stand morally strong against the common corrupt style of todays politics.:thumbs:

4. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Yeah, thats just great. It looks like the right has found their own Ralph Nader. If RP does good in the primaries he is a certain third party candidate to help Hillary to the white house.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ron Paul will not run as a minor party or an independent candidate. It is the GOP nomination for him or nothing.

If you are concerned about the GOP winning in 2008 then you should support Ron Paul. He is the GOP's only realistic chance of winning in 2008.

You shouldn't assume that Hillary Clinton will win the Democrat nomination.

6. Petra-O IX

Petra-O IX Active Member

Hillary is not the chosen one in her party right now, Obama is getting all the attention right now. Ron Paul has a been the Candidate that Republican Party has needed for some time, I don't see much ground where they could question his moral character or being inconsistent on political issues but I could always be suprised at what might be brought out if he is percieved to be a threat as a viable candidate from within his own party.

7. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

In fact, I will be surprised if she is still in the race in 10 to 12 months, let alone win the Democratic nomination.

8. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I agree with about 90% of Ron Paul on the issues. I respect the fact that he was against the Iraq war from the beginning and didnt change his views according to the political winds like Hillary Clinton. But if we are all honest with ourselves, and we could go back in BB archives, most of us were thinking and acting in anger after 9-11. I am thoroughly convinced that democracy and Islam is an oxymoron and we will never be friends of Islam as long as we support Israel, so maybe an isolationist attitude on foriegn policy might be a good idea and let the chips fall where they may.
    I like Ron Pauls views on states rights and agree that abortion, gay marriage, marijuana laws etc should be state issues and not the business of the Federal government.
    Personally he is pro-life and suppoted the partial birth abortion ban.
    His support on a return to the gold standard scares me a little and I know that Ron Paul has extensive private investments in gold and silver. Maybe Ken can enlighten us on this as the subject is a little esoteric for me.
    But Ron Paul's libertarian views will not get him elected and he proves this by his switching from the libertarian party to the republican party. He is a libertarian trying to use the republican party platform to get himself elected. Why doesnt he run as a libertarian?

9. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

The Founding Fathers established a system of "coin" money that was designed to prohibit the "improper and wicked" manipulation of the nation's medium of exchange while guaranteeing the power of the citizens' earnings.

The federal government has departed from the principle of "coin" money as defined by the U.S. Constitution and the Mint Act of 1792 and has granted unconstitutional control of the nation's monetary and banking system to the private Federal Reserve System.

We a substantive reform of the system of Federal taxation. In order for such reform to be effective, it is necessary that the United States:
    • Return to the money system set forth in the Constitution;
    • Repeal the Federal Reserve Act, and reform the current Federal Reserve banks to become clearing houses only; and
    • Prohibit fractional reserve banking.
    With fiat currency, the government can expand or contract the money supply to aid whatever political group holds the power. Normally, the tendency is for over-expansion of the money supply resulting in unchecked inflation. This has been the demise of many a fiat currency monetary system.

"Like gold, U.S. dollars have value only to the extent that they are strictly limited in supply. But the U.S. government has a technology, called a printing press (or, today, its electronic equivalent), that allows it to produce as many U.S. dollars as it wishes at essentially no cost. By increasing the number of U.S. dollars in circulation, or even by credibly threatening to do so, the U.S. government can also reduce the value of a dollar in terms of goods and services, which is equivalent to raising the prices in dollars of those goods and services. We conclude that, under a paper-money system, a determined government can always generate higher spending and hence positive inflation." --Ben Bernanke, Federal Reserve chairman

10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Gold And Economic Freedom. Alan Greenspan 1967

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We all should have some precious metals in our portfolio as an inflation hedge. I wouldn't call mine extensive but I do have some. :)

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  13. church mouse guy

church mouse guy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    He can't win the GOP nomination because of his ill-fitting clothes. If he had his way, we would abolish the death penalty (a Democrat idea) and abandon the Reagan legacy in favor of the Republican Liberty Caucus. I don't even think that they should let him speak at the GOP convention unless he promises to support the nominee and it is 3 am.

Like the Democrats, Ron Paul's political future depends upon a US military defeat.

#13 church mouse guy, Mar 12, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2007
  14. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So what if he doesn't. I don't choose whom to support based on whether he/she can win or not. I choose whom to support based on principles. I wish all of my fellow Americans would do the same regardless of whether we agree on the which principles. Of course, that would require the electorate to actually have political principles.

But most Americans won't even pay attention to the presidential race until after the 2008 World Series is over.

15. JGrubbs

JGrubbs New Member

Ron Paul said that they have "postponed" the April 4th GOP debates. I wonder if the GOP is doing this to figure out how to keep the conservative candidates out of the debate, just like they have a deal with the Democrats not to let the third party candidates in the debate.

Here are some pro-life quotes from Ron Paul on C-SPAN today:

"I am pro-life, If I do not protect life, how can I protect human liberty."

"The most important thing is to repeal Roe v. Wade."

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The difference between Ron Paul and the other GOP candidates on the abortion issue is that when Ron Paul says that he is pro-life he really is pro-life and would act accordingly as president.

17. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A US military defeat might help Ron Paul pick up liberal Republicans who are against the war; however, the Republican rank and file are opposed to Paul's abolition of the death penalty for murderers and the Republican rank and file support the Reagan heritage calling for a constitutional amendment to protect human life and end abortion (which Paul is against). Ron Paul has ill-fitting clothes that show in pictures of him and make that member of the Republican Liberty Caucus stand out like a sore thumb. One wonders what kind of ego drives him since in 1988 he got less than a half million votes and there has been no increase in his popularity, especially with his membership in the Republican Liberty Caucus. He in effect says that he is not really a Republican but that he wants to sleep with them anyway in a very unflattering proposal that deals only with his own lusts.

18. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Being anti-war is a conservative position. Being pro-war is a neoconservative or fauxconservative position.

19. church mouse guy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who thinks Hillary is a conservative?

Conservatives are not against the war; the left is. It was the Democrats, who probably don't volunteer much for the military anyway, who started the anti-war effort back in the days of Cindy Sheehan and her spending the summer at Crawford and buying a home there. The real thrust against the war came from the liberals.

It is hard to call the Vice President a neo-conservative since he was never a Democrat and never a Jew.

Nor can you call Fred Thompson a neo-conservative by any stretch of the imagination. Haven't you ever seen "Law and Order"?

That is the reason that the ill-clothed Ron Paul, who is against the Reagan platform on abortion from 1980, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, and 2004 is not a Reagan Republican. He is the same way on defense--an 1930s isolationists that said that the Germans, Italians, and Japanese could have Europe, Asia, and Africa, and maybe Australia, and the USA would still be the same.

Then there is the fact that the ill-clothed Ron Paul is also against the Christian doctrine in favor of the death penalty. How does a Bible-believing Christian defend the abolition of the death penalty? Shouldn't abortionists be put to death for murder?

20. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I love how you start out with the word "probably" and then construct this fictional story based on nothing except your imagination! :laugh:

?

Uh, that's called acting CMG, acting. Thompson plays the part of a District Attorney, he ACTS the part, he is not an actual District Attorney. You cannot assume that the attributes of his character are the same as his are personally. Again, it's called acting!

This is all speculation on your part, and CMG you have shown that you have a vivid imagination in the past.

You sure do like that phrase, "ill-clothed" don't you? :laugh:

Many bible-believing Christians do not support the death penalty.

There's that phrase again!