1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ron Paul Wins CPAC Poll

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Feb 20, 2010.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So? Obviously a large number of people in the GOP do not believe in limited government or else the GOP would not have promoted Big Government when it controlled the White House and both houses of Congress.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

So by that then not everyone in the GOP believes in big government. Is that your position?

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My position, and the fact, is that when the GOP ran things in Washington, D.C., that it promoted Big Government.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Wasn't Ron Paul a Republican during this period?

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What's your point, Pastor Mitchell?

Are you denying that the GOP governed as a Big Government party? There are Republicans of a variety of political stripes just as there are Democrats of a variety of political stripes.

6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I see you avoid the question. You use a mighty big brush but defend Ron Paul. Maybe you should tighten that brush up.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already acknowleged that Ron Paul is a Republican.

If you want to defend the idea that the Republican Party did not promote Big Government when it ran the executive and the legislative branches, then you can certainly start a thread and make an attempt.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well if you are going to paint the entire party then Ron gets some paint to don't he? Or should you be more specific?

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The existence of some limited government folks in the GOP does not mean it was not a Big Government party when it ran the executive and legislative branches.

If you believe otherwise, that's fine.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It was not the party as a whole. It was some in congress. A party is much more than those who sit in government seats.

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can agree with that. :)

12. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the Dallas Morning News:

"He describes himself as a lifelong Libertarian running as a Republican."

He (Paul) must run as a Republican in order to get elected as it is very rare for a third party to be elected, other than small local elections.

Unfortunately, it is the way Americans vote - 2 party only.

Two years ago I ran for City council - There were 2 seats open. Bill, a friend of mine ran on the Republican and Conservative party lines. I ran only on the Conservative Party line (Note NY allows the fusion ballot). Though I did receive more votes on the conservative line that Bill did, many Republicans did not vote for me.

13. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watched part of the proceedings, including Glenn Beck's address. Beck seemed to get a kick out of the fact that his blackboard got a bigger ovation from the crowd than he did.

14. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One of only two things I ever disagreed with Reagan on.

15. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What was the other one?

Actually, I would not disagree with Reagan on the 11th, as long you are talking about true Repubicians

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. I think conservatism is really a misnomer just as liberalism is a misnomer for the liberals–if we were back in the days of the Revolution, so-called conservatives today would be the Liberals and the liberals would be the Tories. The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is." - Ronald Reagan

- http://reason.com/archives/1975/07/01/inside-ronald-reagan

17. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One can view the straw poll results HERE (needs PDF to view). Paul came in first with 33%, Romney second with 22%, Palin third with 7%, and Pawlenty fourth with 6%.

While these results are interesting, I don't put much faith in them. When Ron Paul ran for President the Republicans would not vote for him. Instead they voted for McCain. If Ron, or Rand, Paul is going to win we need people to actually vote for them in real elections. Otherwise these straw polls are a waste of time.

18. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Actually Paul is more of a republican than the rest of the posers in the GOP. If anything the whole of the repulican party is made up of RINOS and Paul with his actual republican platform of limited constitutional government, sound money and a non interventionist foreign policy is at odds with the fakers and globalists that only pose as republicans. Is Paul one of them? No! He's the real republican in a crowd of fakes. No wonder he stands at odds with the "party".

Republicans and their global corporate imperial policies need to take a hike while we still have enough nation to salvage from the effects of all their greedy and corupt practices.

And no the global imperial democrats are no better than the global imperial republicans. Elsewise Obama wouldn't be extending Bush's global imperial policies.

What we need is a real American who understands and upholds real American principles instead of faux repulicrats and demopublicans who talk the talk to get elected but turn around and sell us to the highest banking and corporate bidders the minute they take office.

RINOS you say? Just about everyone in the GOP is a RINO, but Paul.

#38 poncho, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2010
  19. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That he didn't reduce Iran to a smoking crater the minute the last hostage's foot touched American soil.

I would. If somebody's wrong, then they're wrong, whether they're Republicans or not. To be honest, the idea that somebody is above criticism just because they're a Republican is one reason I'm no longer a Republican.

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://biggovernment.com/amellon/2010/02/22/the-insignificance-of-the-straw-poll/#more-77846

The Insignificance of the CPAC Straw Poll
    by Andrew Mellon

The enthusiasm at this year’s CPAC was palpable. Conservatives turned out in record droves, optimistic and on the offensive against a government they rightly feel has run amok. Dick Cheney and John Bolton amongst others predicted that Barack Obama would be a one term President. I would take a more cautious view. Beatable as I think President Obama is based upon his bombastic arrogance, blind elitism, blatant dishonesty, and boundless seemingly intentionally destructive policies, if the 2010 CPAC straw poll tells us anything it is that the conservative movement is still searching for its opponent.