1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ron Rhodes And Norman Geisler

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Seeker Of Truth, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Seeker Of Truth

Seeker Of Truth New Member

What do fundamentalist baptist think of Ron Rhodes and Norman Geisler? They are both conservative evangelical book authors.

Rhodes and Geisler are experts in the field of false religions and cults. Rhodes is against ecumenism and catholicism. I know of websites that expose many evangelical leaders but never heard anything negative about Ron Rhodes.

I have of Ron Rhodes books in my personal library. He is a graduate of Dallas Theological Seminary. He is president of Reasoning From The Scriptures Ministries. Norman Geisler was one of his professers during seminary. Rhodes also uses the NIV instead of the KJV.

I appreciate any information about thess men.

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I am not in an IFB church, but Dr. Geisler is President of my seminary, Southern Evangelical Seminary, and one of the foremost living Christian apologists. He's also an excellent teacher. Dr. Geisler is also the co-founder of the seminary. He wanted a seminary where apologetics was taught. At the time he founded it, there were basically no apologetic courses in the seminaries - now more and more have apologetics.

I had Dr. Rhodes as my prof (he's a visiting prof there) for Contemporary Cults, which I took about 3 yrs. ago or so. He was very good. He has written a book that used a lot of the info he gave us.

I think both of these men are solid Christians who hold to the essential doctrines of the faith and are conservative Christians.

The site for the seminary is www.ses.edu

3. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

They are convservative evangelical scholars.. just as you said. I would say.. more like the Dallas theo seminary folks.

4. Seeker Of Truth

How are conservative evangelicals different than baptist fundamentalist?

5. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Conservative evangelicals serve and fellowship with one another across denominational lines. Baptist fundamentalists only fellowship with each other and accuse conservative evangelicals of being compromisers and new evangelicals.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Geisler lost all respect (what little I had) when he paraded as a "real calvinist" while espousing 4 point Arminian theology. He did a great disservice and confused many by "redefining" calvinistic theology - which had to be clarified by James White and others.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, this is your view because you are a Calvinist. ;) For me, the view on Calvinism is a minor issue.

On the other hand, Dr. Geisler earned a lot of people's respect when he resigned from the ETS because they would not declare Open Theism at odds with the veiw of biblical inerrancy.

8. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

Conservative evangelicals are not necessarily Baptist, for one thing. If you look at the churches pastored by conservative Evangelicals.. usually they are "Bible" churches and the like. I dont have a problem with it myself, but they are usually more ecumenical than most Baptists.

9. Seeker Of Truth

Dr. Geisler is also a Catholic sympathizer. He believes catholics are christians. Some catholics may be save but only because they heard and believe the true gospel outside the Roman church. Any Catholic that is commited to the catholic gospel is not saved. How can Geisler say that catholics are brothers in Christ? Geisler is also ecumenical not practicing separation.

10. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Depends on what you call a fundamentalist... which has been the topic of several threads.

The original fundamentalists were multi-denominational and focused on biblical basics rather than extraneous issues. Many genuine fundamentalists still do.

My church would be considered "fundamentalist" and belongs to the BBFI. My pastor fellowships freely with likeminded Southern Baptists. We have other somewhat more limited relationships with the Methodists, Nazarenes, Assemblies of God, and a non-denominational church in town.

These are voluntary interactions on a case by case basis. He doesn't belong to the Ministerial Alliance because its fundamental premise is that everyone who calls themselves a Christian church is such no matter what doctrine they preach.

I guess some might condemn us for not holding to the second degree of separation but our pastor simply doesn't.

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many conservative evangelicals would have been considered fundamentalists 100 years ago.

Pseudo-fundamentalists who have tried to be more "biblical" than the Bible have forced a re-labeling.

12. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Scott J,

We agree.

The fundamentalism of the 1920s is "historic" fundamentalism, whereas, the fundamentalism that separates from other believers on the basis of alleged compromise is what is generally considered "fundamentalism" today, as practiced by many independent Baptists, but apparently, not as many as I had thought!

I agree with your assessment completely. Genuine fundamentalists are the "historic" fundamentalists.

13. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

As i have clarified before..when i say "fundamentalist", I am not talkingt about Criswell, Ryrie, etc. I am talking about Norris, Applemann, etc.
    It seems like the point of disagreement is ecclesiastical separation. It's a label, an opinion, really, not something concrete.

14. Seeker Of Truth

I would add that many conservative evangelicals unlike fundamentalist embrace Roman Catholicism and Pentecostalism. They also don't like to expose false teachers in the church. They don't like controversy. With the exception of some evangelicals like Ron Rhodes and John MacArthur.

15. Dr.Tim

Dr.Tim New Member

True.. but I understand that the label "fundamentalist" that I tag onto people is not the norm. Again, to me, the word "Fundamentalist" always meant someone who was opposed to the liberalism in the SBC. That, of course, is not going to be the common usage of the term and I acknowledge that. After I had been away from the SBC (and all the good folks in it) I began to realize that even those I term "fundamentalists" have always thought of Bob Jones, Sam Jones, Billy Sunday, etc as being Fundamentalist even though they weren't Baptist.

16. icthus

icthus New Member

The Lord opened the eyes of Dr Geisler to the Truth. How can that be a bad thing?