1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ronnie Floyd Details Convention Focus on Repentance for Racism

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Jerome, May 2, 2016.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Baptist Press May 2, 2016

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with Ronnie that racism is a difficult and entrenched problem that must be dealt with quite intentionally. Our human nature is to hold prejudices against those who are different from us and to assume that all persons who look similarly have a similar character and attitudes. No matter what one's ethnic ancestry, we have a lot of work to do as a society.

However, I disagree with the way Ronnie has tied spiritual/moral improvement of racism to the promise of a "Great Awakening." Ronnie, like many other Southern Baptists, has tied God's grace coming upon us (which is at the heart of what an awakening is) with our improvement. While it is a stimulus for people to take racism seriously, it does damage to the truth that God's blessings bring healing and moral improvement, not moral improvement coaxing God's blessing.

Moreover, Baptists and other conservative Christians are often quite passive in their spirituality, waiting for God to bring "revival" or religious excitement, when we are actually called to be bold in our faith and seek the kingdom of God as we go our way since it is already available to us. We are not waiting for it to drop from the heavens.

Obviously there will be a day when the heavens and earth will be completely one (described as "new Jerusalem" descending from the heavens in Revelation), but our task is to receive the kingdom of God in our lives now, and expand it in our communities and to the uttermost parts of the earth until all know about the availability of the Kingdom of God in Christ.

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if old Ronnie can name names specifically and have them come out and admit it. Other than that it is all just a dog and pony show.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ronnie is not that old. He's around 60, I believe. BTW, I call him Ronnie because he is a former pastor from before he went to Springdale. That doesn't mean I'm his biggest fan, but I know something of the man.

I'm not following. Name the racists? Have the racists confess?

What would you like to see?

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would like to see the white guilt over with.This is not the first time the convention has done this. The whole thing is absurd.

#5 Revmitchell, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay, that makes sense.

There IS a lot of legitimate white guilt still to be dealt with, but there is prejudice across the board. If we don't acknowledge ALL of it, then we won't get anywhere.

Yes.

For people who are outside the SBC - and especially those outside the faith - these steps are significant.

Well if it is just "being sorry" for racism instead of true repentance, then it is absurd. If it is just about white people and prejudice, then it is absurd.

However, the demographics of the SBC skew dramatically white for a number of legitimate and a couple of illegitimate historical reasons. The SBC can only deal with those who show up, not those outside the fellowship, so the majority of the time it has to be "white" issues with prejudice.

I would like to see the SBC align with several historically black Baptist conventions to figure out ways to bring people together. Perhaps have conventions in the same city with fellowship and inspiration sessions together, and the business portion of the Conventions separate so that each can function appropriately.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No one alive is guilty of slavery or condoning slavery. Therefore it is all just a bunch in unnecessary and quite fake garbage.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I gotta disagree. Some of us are not, and never have been, racist so we have nothing to apologize for.

In fact, some of us, like me, believe the very concept of race is racist. There is one race of people on this planet. The Human Race!

Morgan Freeman has the right idea. The way to end racism is to stop talking about it!

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/mic...n-freeman-ending-racism-stop-talking-about-it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are people alive who condone slavery. I heard it growing up. Moreover, there are definitely people alive who were advocates for segregation and the Jim Crow laws - institutional racism.

Furthermore, there are plenty of racists in positions of power embedded in institutions of all types - and they're not all white. Please understand that I am not using "racist" as a synonym for a certain type of white person.

10. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I wrote, "across the board," I was not referring to BaptistBoard NOR all persons of all ethnic groups. It is a broad brush meant to encompass all types of all cultures, social institutions and ethnicities. I am NOT talking about individuals.

Yes, absolutely. I usually use the word "ethnicity" instead of race because it is far more accurate. "Racism" is a specific term that refers to a specific type of activity, so I am trying to use that term in an appropriate way.

I think there is a lot of wisdom there, but there are also issues that must be dealt with and complete silence is not the total answer. As long as people can gain prestige, celebrity, and influence by "race"-baiting, we are going to have problems.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

The liberal ran media loves to tell the stories of shootings especially if the story is of a ________ man shooting a _______ man. When these things take place people want to know what color they were. This is most likely in most cases due to inner contempt for certain races, and seeking fuel for the fire. Mentioning the races involved most certainly generates interest, more viewings, higher ratings, more monies. The people involved are expendable, the monies and liberal agenda is more important.

Just as the government, the MSM doesn't care about people they say they care about.

Maybe there is something more to the prince of the power of 'the air' than meets the eye.

#11 Internet Theologian, May 2, 2016
    Last edited: May 2, 2016
  12. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well I will tell you what. When the President and BLM admit their racism then I will let it go. Until then it is just a big dog and pony show. This is not about what is real it is about making people feel it is real.

13. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I understand your feelings, but I'm afraid you are more concerned about being vindicated before others than reconciling with others. Christians gave up the right to demand that other people repent before they do when they decided to follow Jesus.

If you are free from this sin, then go in peace. Don't criticize those who may have repentance to work through.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No argument here.

There is political power in "race"-baiting. As long as we let our elected officials gain power from it, the longer it will be a problem.

It does extend to the airwaves. One of the "powers" and "dominions" that opposes God is culture and the spirit of the age (zeitgeist, for our German friends). The way to defeat the spirit of our culture is not to use the same methods of attack and propaganda, but use the power of love to overcome it. This includes transformed living, humility, courage, truth-telling and sacrifice. If we commit to engage ourselves in those Kingdom activities, we will have the supernatural power of God available to guide and assist us. Ultimately, the world system stands condemned and will have to be finally destroyed when the Lord makes all things news, but we can have a significant influence that heals and redeems many aspects of our culture.

FWIW, this is the part of spiritual warfare that doesn't get a lot of attention - no lurid videos or vain imaginations to speak of.

• Like Like x 1
  15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't worry if you think this a bit ridiculous. It's as likely to as productive as The Great Commission Task Force!

16. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ho hum, just some more Inside The Convention talk.

17. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I get really tired of seeing "the church" talk about America as a whole, and throw around "us" as if the two are exactly synonymous.

The church is not obligated to be sorry for what the world is doing. And the church is not obligated to be sorry for what a socio - political system was allowing 200 years ago.

Is there any scripture showing where Paul encouraged the church to be sorry for the atrocities committed by Rome? There was a church in Rome, wasn't there?

18. Baptist Believer

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a very specific history with the SBC though. It was formed from a split over the issue of whether slaveholders could be appointed as missionaries.

The SBC has also been guilty of supporting segregation and the Jim Crow laws. I'm not being critical, that just the facts.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And all of that has been dealt with in the past and is irrelevant to anything today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's all well and good. As such, the SBC "might" be obliged to acknowledge the failures of the convention.

I'm not of the persuasion that pandering is beneficial. Especially as it converns special interest groups.

And by no means is the church synonymous with the nation. If the world feels the need, let them.