1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Roosevelt Quote

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by ReformedBaptist, Jun 24, 2010.

1. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

How appropriate and fitting in light of the community organizer's response to criticism.

2. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Excellent quote!:applause:

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With this subject matter, I couldn't agree with you more! :thumbsup:

4. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

He had it right in my book.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wish we had FDR today working on the economy & unemployment problems because what we have right now is grossly inept.:(

6. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

The quote was from Theodore Roosevelt not FDR. If one will read history FDR's plans didn't get us out of the depression, it was WWII, that put us back to work. Not much of a FDR fan, my father said he was the Anti Christ and I think at times he half believed it, but I know he didn't.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    FDR put both my grandfathers to work on reconstruction programs that enabled them to feed their families. When he died my grandfather cried because he knew that he would have been destitute without FDR's help. Lastly FDR often evoked God in public prayer. Nothing like Barry & the boys from Chicago.

Antichrist....maybe your thinking of Hitler who was defeated largly because FDR & America went to war against the nut.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

I'm forever grateful for FDR's leadership in the Second World War.

And, unlike our current president, I truly believe that FDR loved his country.

However, some of his programs, particularly the Ponzi scheme of Social Security, may be our undoing.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    rbell, Social Security was not designed as a Ponzi scheme to enrich FDR or for that matter the Federal Government but rather as a means to assist Americans who needed help to survive. FDR never meant for it to have morphed to what it is today. Regarding our countries undoing, I personally am concerned with the Economy, Unemployment, The Afghani War & the Gulf Oil Crisis. As Ive said in other posts, other countries like Australia, Poland & Germany are out-pacing us in infrastructure, employment & economic stability as well as personal liberties while China & Korea out-pace us by amassing wealth through manufacturing.

10. billwald

billwald New Member

Social Security is two things. First, it is a very successful universal welfare program for old people and for disabled people.

Second, it is a flat capped income tax that has always been spent on current budget needs. It always was spent on current budget needs. FDR needed the SS tax to pay for his work programs.

The accounting fiction of purchasing government securities with the SS taxes and THEN putting the money into the Treasury was invented because no government has EVER kept an honest set of books.

What else should be done with SS tax money? Fill Fort Knox with $100 bills while the Government is borrowing money on the open market? Buy Chrysler stock?

11. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Clever man that FDR... Thanks for that info Bill.....I like him more every day! Must have been why the electorate voted him in 3 times.

Poor Obama....not clever & cunning like FDR. :laugh:

12. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Your grandfather and my father saw FDR very different.

No,no, my father believed FDR was as close to the Antichrist as one could get, right or wrong. He fought in Europe in WWII so he knew who FDR was and Hitler. He never forgave FDR for giving into Stalin and giving all that real estate to him. He was with Churchill on that. But each to their own.

13. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

FDR layed the ground work for as many folks leaning to wanting the government to take care of them. I believe part of that, but from about 1947 till my father went home, I heard that every day.

#13 Bob Alkire, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2010
  14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Bob.....you got indoctrinated! Could you just imagine what your father would think of Obama since he had such a low opinion of FDR? Anyway if you know from history FDR's medical condition at the that time, you could possibly forgive the misteps. At the Yalta meeting with Churchill & Stalin, he was dieing (having seizures & angina attacks) so if I add the troubles he had to indure (his polio made him a parapiligic), a depression, the conserns of his continued war in Japan where he needed Russa's support against Japan....I would have to admit that FDR was quite heroic though I believe his mind through exhaustion & illness had taken it's toll.

One of his weeknesses was his faith in the United Nations, which proved to be a mistake for Europe at the time & he made weak decisions on the issue of postwar Poland (the Russans wanted the entire country to be commie & he allowed them to install pro-Soviet governments in Warsaw & Prague/ Czechoslovakia .... and that is a point of contention). However FDR did get the Rissians to concede free elections in those eastern block countries which later was used as the mechanism to throw the Soviets out. Note Poland & the Czech Republics standing on the world stage today ie two of Anericas best allies in Eastern Europe.

15. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Yes, my father was a democrat till JFK was elected. He was like a lot of democrat's back then, big on Harry Byrd from Virginia, trying to cut the budget, while FDR was spending left and right. He believed JFK was 10 times worse than FDR, he would have been out of his mind with BHO. He was with MacArthur on JFK, he believed he should have been court marshaled.
    I believe he should have been out of office then.

On this, you have found something we can agree on.

Was I indoctrinated as you say, maybe. My father had a very low view of FDR, history professors in college and economics professors and most of my professors in seminary also had the same low view. I would say much of that has rubbed off on me and my reading and study has done nothing to change my mind.

I look at BHO as I did JFK, Carter and Clinton as a little further down the same road, each one goes a little further down the road. The two Bushes were of the same cloth.

We will just have to agree to differ on our view of FDR, of what we read and what we remember of him.

#15 Bob Alkire, Jul 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2010
  16. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually he was taken out of office, FDR was dead of a stroke 4 months later. Now my uncle who was a bright guy & a vet (an army medic actually) fought with Patton in Europe, & would give you a very different perspective on FDR. His father was thrown out of work due to the depression. Both my grandfathers were coal miners & they got thru those horrible times because FDR instituted WPA & the CCC work programs that kept them working, allowed for them to feed their families & rebuilt roads, schools, libraries, created national parks planted trees etc. My uncle came out of the service & took advantage of the massive programs of education & training for returning servicemen IE "the GI Bill". This enabled my uncle to obtain a college edu & move into a more stable position than my poor grandfathers who worked hard & dangerous labor. Uncle Jack became a key executive for a corporation in part due to FDR's belief that the Nation is morally obligated to returning servicemen.

Compare FDR to our dear president Herbert Hoover, who after getting us into a depression, dispatched Doug MacArthur to burn out eleven thousand unemployed veterans from World War I living in a shanty towns in Washington DC. Good Ole Doug used infantry fixed bayonets, tear gas, horses & tanks on the unarmed. Our own army was used that day to forcibly remove unemployed vets, systematically setting fire to their tents & shanties least anyone return. All during a time when these men & their wives & kids had no place to live or shelter from the cold. Nice Christian Guy that Hoover must have been, right?

So I believe that FDR, remembering all this as president took great pains to reward veterans for their heroism. Ask your dad if he is alive if that is not true (mark of the Antichrist?!?) & perhaps (if I can make a suggestion that you read for your own edification a book or two on FDR's life)....you might be surprised at the actual leadership qualities and heart for other human beings the man possessed.

17. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Just proves different folks see thing a little different. My father was with Patton from Africa right on up as well.

As you bring up reading books, many books say that is why Truman wouldn't back MacArthur in Korea. I don't know. But Harry did say Hoover was a great man and friend, you was given down the river for going to Hoover's funeral, I believe.

No, my dad left and went home in 1961. I'm sure he had qualities of leadership, able to get folks to follow him, as much as I dislike saying it BHO has and many others.

As far as books on FDR I have 5 about him now.

My friend, as I said we will just have to disagree on FDR and drop it

18. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My mother grew up on a small Texas farm during the depression. She hated his guts.

19. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How very Christian like of her! Could you give reasons for the hatred?:rolleyes:

20. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The basis:

He had crops destroyed and livestock slaughtered and burned to raise the prices of the products when many families had almost no cash with which to feed their families.

The result: He hurt the poor, especially small farms and sharecroppers, with the goal of making them subserviant to the state. They had nowhere else to go for food or work.

PS My mother has long since passed. Your comment was uncalled for and tells us something about your own "Christlike" qualities.

#20 carpro, Jul 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2010