1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

'Root' Sins and 'Fruit' Sins

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin Marprelate, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some years ago I heard Richard Owen Roberts speak in Cardiff, Wales.
    In his talk he spoke of 'Root' sins and 'Fruit' sins, suggesting that behind every sin there is a root cause.
    He took us to Jude 5-7, and suggested that the root cause of the Israelites' refusal to enter the Promised land was unbelief (Hebrews 3:19). Then he suggested that the root cause of the fall of the angels was rebellion, and the root sin of the Sodomites was pride (Ezekiel 16:49-50).

So there you have three 'root' sins: unbelief, rebellion and pride. Certainly I think that many sexual sins are occasioned by pride. A man thinks along these lines: "I know God has rules for ordinary folk, but a man like me, handsome, virile, intelligent- well God Himself would not expect me to remain faithful to the miserable little woman I'm married to." But what do you wise brothers think? Are there more than three? Or is there just one- unbelief? Is rebellion a 'fruit' of pride? Is this a helpful distinction to make?

2. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I sometimes wonder if pride (as in that desire to be like God) is not the root sin.

Sent from my TARDIS

3. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Timothy 6:10 says covetousness is the root of all evil.