1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rosalynn Carter ordained in Plains, GA

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by go2church, Dec 19, 2006.

1. MNJacob

MNJacob Member

If you have ever attended services at Maranatha in Plains, it becomes pretty obvious that the church itself exists because of President Carter's Sunday School sessions. Plains is a tiny place, and while Maranatha existed as a church before the former President had his fuss with First Baptist Plains, it is pretty obvious that the influx of tourists to see the former President teach (both the Bible and his own views of foreign policy) are what maintain the financial health of the church.

It is no surprise that Mrs. Carter would be ordained as a deacon. And I really can't imagine that it's all that big a deal either.

2. Allan

Allan Active Member

That is biblically incorrect. Scriptures DO NOT state Phoebe held the "OFFICE" of a deacon but declares her 'a servent'

The Greek meaning for this word is:
    This word is determind by context of scripture and since a Deacon is defined in scripture as a Man it absolutely precludes a woman.

However, This word is used some 31 times in the NT wherewith it is most frequently used as a minister or as a servent.

When it is used with regard to an office it is ALWAYS in conjection with a man.

But that is my argument, thanks :wavey:

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

That no more makes her a deaconess than any other person who is in ministry. The deacon is an office or at least an officail position within the church. The office of deacon has qualifications and a woman can not fulfill them.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Again, it depends on the job description. In our old Presbyterian church, the deacons only took care of physical needs of the congregation and community - food pantry, visitation of the sick, meals for the sick, Christmas gifts and Thanksgiving baskets. Those are not things that require an 'authority' or anything, and I felt comfortable with women in that position. However, the elders WERE an authority position and I was NOT comfortable with women in that position. In our church, our deacons are more like elders - and have an authority responsibility so women in our church cannot be deacons. I think it's a matter of what the job entails as to whether or not women can be deacons.

5. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And that's precisely why condemnation of other churches regarding this issue is so foolish.

In our church, the deacons are servants to the congregation. They do not rule. Men and women (especially as married couples) serve as deacons to the body.

6. Jack Matthews

Jack Matthews New Member

And yet, that list of qualifications in I Timothy 3 in verse 11 includes the term "women", in Greek, guniakas, and says, "likewise," a clear indication that women did serve the church in this capacity. The key is that this is a servant role, not an authority position. The original seven deacons mentioned in Acts were responsible for the daily distribution of food among the church, I don't see where there is a distinction of the position as an "office" that has any kind of leadership attached to it. That's what an Elder does.

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I am not the head of some other man's wife. Neither is some other man the head of my wife. Christ is the head of the church. All believers are servants in different functions.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What is modern-day ordination? It is simply nothing more than a man's contrived nonsense of honor. I have seen men who were ordained who have never discipled on person. I have also seen men ordained just so a church can make that claim of ordaining someone and the candidate looks better so he canhopefully get the church he wants to pastor.

If you believe that ordination is the setting aside and recognizing or honoring someone whom God has called to a particualr purpose and the church supports that then I have no problem with ordaining women to service among all women and children.

I have seen troublemakeers who were deacons who were ordained.

Wasn't it Spurgeon who once said, "What can man do that God has not already done. "

Spurgeon was greatly used of God and never ordained.

9. Allan

Allan Active Member

Show me another servent role where there are qualifications. Even those Seven chosen HAD to be men. Look back in Acts and see.
    I agaree though that the deacon role has no authority 'like' that of the pastor but because it serves the body in multiple facets Teaching would be one and preaching could be considered another. Both of these within the context of the Church excludes women.

The 'likewise' is in no way, shape, form, or fashion ANY such indication. Likewise here is 1 Tim. 3:8 is hosautos {ho-sow'-toce}
    1) in like manner, likewise - IT ONLY DEFINITIOIN!!

One of its derivitives comes from another Adverb that that is a reference per context to himself, herself, themselves, --- OR OF THE SAME ---

But I will say that JUST as a Pastor must rule over his home SO must a Deacon and is the REASON they MUST be the Husband of one WIFE. (I Tim 3:11-12)

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

I am speaking of an actaul biblical office and not a man-made position. The fact you use an existing term where the bible incorrporates a distinction and qualifiers would make it very easy for some to blend the two together. Though it isn't inherently wrong it would definately need to be a very carefully understood thing within the church.

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Yep, I agree. In our church, deacons are like the Biblical office. BUT, some churches have a different term for that position - and then use that term for another position. It really DOES help to know what the definition of something is before we go crazy. What if Mrs. Carter was ordained into a position of care for members/community? What if she's helping to organize feeding the homeless, provide clothing, housing, etc? What if there was no teaching, no authority, etc.? I think that's a different story (although I don't get why she would need to be ordained for that).

12. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Many Greek scholars that look to and know one of the best, if not the best New Testament rendering is that of William's New Testament. The exacting Greek scholar will choose WNT to clarify the "hard" verses as he is so well versed in text and sense of the Greek, then putting into language we are familiar. Romans 16:1, "Now I introduce<a> to you our sister Phoebe, who is a deaconess in the church at Cenchreae".

Strong's renders diakonos to cover both Deacon, and Deaconess

You have an argument just as I. You define her as "servant", and then show proof she is a servant as is the Deacon?? Your argument seems to agree with the Bible.

#32 ituttut, Dec 22, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2006
  13. ituttut

ituttut New Member

You skirt the issue.

The church can appoint and not "ordain", and they should appoint, and not "ordain" deacons" as it is not biblical. I've never seen a Baptist church that has not appointed a woman to do some type of work. I don't believe we can do without women in our churches, and should be able to appoint them duties, if they so desire.

14. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Amen! We all take part, and some are appointed specific duties.

15. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

OK, whose idea was it to let the carters back into the news????:BangHead: