1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Ross vs. Hovind Debate

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by quantumfaith, Dec 14, 2013.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

http://chemistry.about.com/od/chemistry101/a/lawtheory.htm

2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Hovind is in jail for sticking by his principles. He was given an opportunity to get out of the sentence. He turned them down.

3. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

While I disagree with much of Hovind's science (Ken Ham points out some of the errors), I certainly agree with his premise, and he does make his opponents look silly.

I agree from a debating point of view, Hovind does indeed shred his opponents.

4. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And we need to be turned from one to the other.

To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, from Acts 26:18

Which appear to be twelve hours each.

Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world. But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him. John 11:9.10

5. quantumfaith

Well I disagree, particularly in this adventure with Ross. I think Ross scored highest hands down. I don't know what you mean about "sticking to his principles". Do you mean he was offered some sort of "plea deal" and he refused such?

6. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Hovinds ministry was a 508 tax exempt ministry. Hovind challenged some people in authority (including a zoning board), and they brought charges down against him.

He was prosecuted under drug laws. As a 508 charity, he was not required to withhold taxes from his employees earnings. His employees, many of whom volunteered most of their time, were payed in cash, which is actually not illegal. However, because the amounts were just below the required reporting amounts, the IRS charged him with violating secrecy laws (again, that were designed to prosecute drug criminals who were trying to hide their money).

When Hovind announced what they were doing to him and the ministry on his radio program, and asked listeners to "pray for his accusers", he was charged with "Threatening and impeding the investigation of a government agency."

The fines and back taxes were such that in order to pay them, he would have had to sell off the ministry, and put people out on the streets. Rather than do that, he fought it, and ended up going to prison.

As for the debate, I am sorry, man, but when I first watched that, I actually agreed with Ross...and I STILL thought Hovind thrashed him. Ross is not a debater.

7. Winman

Winman Active Member

Hovind was railroaded. He went to numerous universities and debated evolution, and he usually won hands down. He made a lot of enemies in high places. They were out to get him, and they did get him.

He is not in jail for tax evasion, but how he structured his taxes as this article shows.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterjreilly/2013/09/28/has-kent-hovind-given-up-fight-against-irs/

You can't keep a good man down, he will get out in a few years and will probably preach and lecture again.

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Agreed. I got to meet him once...really nice guy. Made my kid laugh. I wish him all the best.

9. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

If this is true, then how did he constantly beat his debate opponents? Wouldn't they have been able to "eat him alive"? As seen, he even had teachers admitting that he had them stumped.

10. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

I watched the video and I cannot come away with what the website said in that Hovind got spanked? I did not see that. I thought Ross and Ankerberg ganged up on Hovind Although I truly don't like the methods Hovind uses in his teaching videos (have seen many), I do agree with the substance of what he teaches. Ross' views create too many theological problems concerning God's word.. I'll side with Hovind, hope he gets released from prison soon.

11. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God created all things, Jesus did, that is in the Bible, is truth, not theory!

And God created in 6 Days, not ages, and Man was divine creation, not from evolutionary process!

12. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr ross assumes that science is right on the dating and ages, and that right there conflicts with what he claims is a literaral reading of the genesis account!

13. Winman

Winman Active Member

In science, Creation is considered a theory, because there was no person present to observe it.

And why do you imply that I believe in an old age for the earth and evolution?

Do you still play with tarot cards and drink blood?

14. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Jesus was there , as He made all things, so that would make creationism a FACT!

15. Winman

Winman Active Member

One of Calvinism's finest minds. :rolleyes:

16. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

Yeah, that'll stand up to scrutiny by a scientist.

17. prophet

prophet Active Member
    Site Supporter

Hamm, of Creation Museum fame, is very liberal in his creation theology.
    I have yet to find a point that he has made, that I would side with him against Hovind.
    I was raised by a Microbiologist, with an earned doctorate from the U.I.C., and have been instructed thoroughly in the 6 steps in making scientific law.
    Hypothesis cannot become theory until it can be proven to show the exact same results in the exact same set of circumstances, 100% of the time. If there is any variation, in testing, the hypothesis must be restated and tested again.
    Much of scientific' theory' is actually hypothetical, and predicated on the 'overwhelming evidence' that 'everyone' is repeating it, and not that it has been tested properly.

18. thisnumbersdisconnected

Exactly. I said something similar to this earlier in the thread and the "old Earthers" simply chose to ignore it rather than respond to it. Hope you have better luck.

19. quantumfaith

I am not precisely sure, but I think you may be confusing hypothesis,theory and law.

"Things" do not become Scientific LAW until it as you have stated. Theory does not hold such a "high bar". Furthermore, "theory" as used by the scientist is considerably different then the vernacular use of that word, in particular here.

20. quantumfaith

And you understand that any ardent naturalist could make the same claim against you....."How do you know....were you there?