1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rossane vs Leave it to Beaver

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Salty, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was reading something the other night.

Years ago, families would watch Leave it to Beaver and say, I wish I could be like that family.

Today, families would watch Rosanne and say I'm glad our family isn't that bad.

I think that sums up a lot about our thinking. Instead of trying to improve ourselves to be like the Cleavers, we want to find a subject lower than ourselves and say we are better.

Years ago, I was the training NCO for my unit. It was time for the annual PT test. Most GI's wanted to know what the minimum standards were. I answered "Do your best"

The test was on a Friday afternoon - during the weekend, I complied the scores, Monday morning, during the formation we call out four men - the high scorer for each platoon and the highest scorer for the company. They received a 3 day and 4 day pass respectively.
    Later the other GI's complained that if they had know, they would have done better. I simpled answered - I did tell you - I told you to do your best.

I believe that is a major problem with Christians and Americans in general - we do just enough to get by - when we should strive to always do better.

Those who have something to do, find a way -
    Others find an excuse.

May this coming week be a blessing as put all full effort in serving our Lord and Saviour in all of our actions.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My goodness, 86 views - and no comments

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

and lets consider leading our families as serving our Lord.

#2 Salty, Feb 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2013
  3. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll give you a response, Salty. :flower:

I do reject the Rosanne-type household for obvious reasons. :eek: But while it's an immoral household to some degree and a dysfunctional household to some degree, it's typical of many households today. I think the question is - what are we going to do for these households?

I also reject the Cleaver-type household. While the family unit is functional and moral values were addressed, it's not a practical household. I'm just not going to be able to wear a dress, girdle, hosiery, high heels, and pearls and clean my house and take care of my children. :laugh: :laugh: It was a little too "perfect".

I like the Cosby Show for family values sake. It seemed more realistic. The parents were in charge even though the kids made mistakes. Grandparents were honored. Things weren't perfect, but the family was functional and the mother and father had the first word and the last word.

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do appreciate your reply, but the OP was more of people using the excuse that are family is ok becaue we are not as bad as the Conners. I contend that we should strive higher.

Salty

PS - as far as dresses only on Mrs. Cleaver - that was the norm for that era