1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RSV vs NRSV

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Terry_Herrington, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

I was under the impression that the NRSV corrected the RSV in Isaiah 7:14 and changed "young woman" to "virgin."

I have not used either of these translations, however, in searching today on the web I found that the NRSV still uses "young woman."

If this is the case, why would anyone promote the NRSV as an improvement over the RSV.

2. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Terry,

Here is a blurb on the NRSV from a website that I referenced in another thread:

You can read the whole article at: http://www.bible.org/docs/soapbox/4versions.htm

Overall, I wouldn't say that it is an improvement, but rather a "politically correct" version. I have no interest in ever using it.

3. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

I suppose for other reasons than the fact that almah does mean "young woman." The LXX rendered it parthenos, which only means "virgin," which is how it is quoted in the NT. Thus the translation is accurate and still does not deny the virgin birth.

4. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Taufgesinnter, I think I remember you stating in a previous message thread that you use the NRSV. Am I correct (or is my memory failing me :confused: )? If so, could you tell us why you chose that translation? Just curious.

Thanks,
    Michael

5. Terry_Herrington

Taufgesinnter:

I have always heard that the real objection to the RSV was almost totally connected with this verse. I assumed that the NSRV had changed it since "alma" can mean either "young woman" or "virgin," or so I have read.

I really do not have a problem with either the RSV or the NRSV. I agree that they are both correct in choosing "young woman" instead of "virgin" because two places in the New Testament Mary is called a virgin. This pretty well rules out any attempt to deny the virgin birth.

"Behold, a virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and his name shall be called Emmanuel" (which means, God with us). Matt. 1:23

26 In the sixth month the angel Gabriel was sent from God to a city of Galilee named Nazareth, 27 to a virgin betrothed to a man whose name was Joseph, of the house of David; and the virgin's name was Mary. Luke 1:27

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

End the debate on RSV vs. NRSV...pick the ESV! [​IMG]

7. Terry_Herrington

I'm sure the ESV is a fine translation, but I use the NIV primarily. I do, however, like the way the RSV reads in many places. Maybe I will take a look at the ESV.

8. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Terry_Herrington said:

I really do not have a problem with either the RSV or the NRSV. I agree that they are both correct in choosing "young woman" instead of "virgin" because two places in the New Testament Mary is called a virgin. This pretty well rules out any attempt to deny the virgin birth.

There is another important consideration here: To what or whom was Isaiah referring? The literal fulfillment of Isa. 7:14 s not Mary. The text says of the child this young woman will conceive:

This apparently is a reference back to:

So the birth of this child Immanuel is given as a sign to Ahaz that the end of his current trouble with Aram and Israel was imminent. This prophecy, furthermore, was literally fulfilled by the birth of Isaiah's own son by the usual means:

Isaiah's wife the prophetess is a type of Mary, who of course was a virgin when she conceived and bore her child Immanuel, the Lord Jesus. So do you translate almah in Isa. 7:14 according to its literal meaning or its typological? This conservative Christian isn't convinced the RSV/NRSV folks haven't got it right.

9. Terry_Herrington

Ransom, you seem to disprove your own argument. You first say that the primary fulfillment of Isa 7:14 is concerning Ahaz. I agree with this. You then say that the conservatives are not sure that the RSV has done it right. :confused:

10. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

No, I said this conservative Christian, i.e. me, is not sure the RSV folks haven't done it right. I tend to agree with the RSV/NRSV rendering.

11. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

I'm not sure whether I can specify exactly why I "chose" the NRSV, since I don't use it very often. I prefer the NIV and frequently use the KJV. However, I have a whole slew of versions I use for reference and comparison, and the NRSV is among them.

12. mesly

mesly Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, the more I think about it, I believe it was someone else here on the BB that used the NRSV exclusively. I am sorry about confusing the two of you.

13. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

Sure thing. No problemo.

14. Jesus is Lord

Jesus is Lord New Member

Just stick with the good ol´ KJV!

Sorry, I just thought a statement like that was missing ;) Just Kidding!