1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Runescape

Discussion in 'Youth Forum' started by manofgod2917, Dec 24, 2008.

1. manofgod2917

manofgod2917 New Member

I play Runescape. I am not , as you would say, "Into it", but I think it is safe. All you have to do is simply keepGod in Runescape. You're propably wondering, "How do I do that?" When you fill your prayer points back up, al you do is just say a simple prayer to God because tecnically if you do that, you are praying to God, and not the Runescape gods.

Here's a link to it if you want it:

[URL="http://www.runescape.com

keep on:praying: !

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Does Runescape use runes?

I would be wary of a game that is designed with actions performed to false gods. You can't Christianize everything.

3. Benjamin

Benjamin Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My boy and several of his friends started playing Runescape about three years ago. I needed to know what this was all about, and so checked into it.

I admit I was a bit leary of the the Runescape gods at first, but I agree it is all about the way one thinks of it and doubt anyone takes it (mid-evil type gods) serious. Like manofgod, I am not thinking about praying to false gods when regenerating prayer points, and actually think about real prayer.

Being a Christian, it's not hard to think of it this way at all. I often will walk around and witness to people while there. When someone starts talking to me they will soon find out who I do follow and I'm not shy about telling them.

When I'm out killin dragons in the wilderness and two 105 revs come out of nowhere, team me, and start attacking, I click on the ol prayer, and I MEAN IT! LOL

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks for the response, Benjamin.

Don't some of the characters use magic in the game?

In my ministry, I see a lot of young people damaged by the occult, and some of them do get into it via these games. I realize most don't, but you can never tell who will. I've spoken to a number of Christians who have testimonies about this.

So my message is not tell people what to do, but to warn them of dangers and possible consequences - based on my own background in the occult and on what I see in my ministry (which I've done full time for 10 yrs. and 4 yrs. previous to that part time).

I address some of these issues in my book, SpellBound: The Paranormal Seduction of Today's Kids which was published by Cook in '06, foreword by Norman Geisler.

5. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The other issue is how non-Christians view Christians playing these games. Believe me, they notice and watch. Some of them wonder why Christians play games that use magic or gods.

6. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Really, I don't see where the non-Christians would be getting into the magic as some mystical type of reality. What bothers me the most is a couple of the abbreviations that are allowed and misused, as in OMG!... (which actually opens a door to discussion) but can sometimes get worse with an an F. If I hear that I will definitely tell them about it and 99% of the time they will apologize.

It not much different than being in the real world that we are in everyday. My son is just as quick to straighten someone out on that one as I am. Actually quicker, as he types much faster. :smilewinkgrin:

7. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm kinda like a spy, or a supervisor in that game Marcia. Rather or not Christians are there, the game is, and I assure you no one would leave wondering why this Christian can participate as a Christian. Again, not that I need to remind you that Jesus didn't shy away from sinners. In my home I have always been active in teaching my children to deal with the world. As they have grown, this has proved to be one of their strengths.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Well, they do. It's easy to find out about the real stuff, and sometimes this gets them interested. It's not just non-believers, either.

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I totally believe in engaging with sinners in life - after all, in my ministry I interact with witches, New Agers, satanists, self-described vampires, and others. I even teach Christians how to witness to these people (and just had an article published on witnessing to those in the occult). However, that is not the same as engaging in the same activities.

I find that many Christians are in a sort of denial about the occult and think it's something only disturbed people get into, and this is not true. Some Christians even think the occult is not real, in the sense that anyone in it is just faking. However, there is a real deception and danger in it.

I'm just pointing out what I've seen and know about.

10. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, if they are then my hope is that my being around there may give me an opportunity to tell the truth. Although, I've had many discussions there, but have yet to come across someone who seems to be associating the game with reality. I suppose some of the kids have no other guidance and the thought might cross their mind. I will watch for it. I have let my membership expire, but was thinkng of dropping by over the holiday.

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

They would likely not say anything, and maybe even deny it if asked, especially online in the game itself, if they are developing an interest in the real thing. This is one reason so many adults are unaware of this among young people - the young people keep it to themselves pretty much.

I know youth pastors have been surprised when I speak to youth groups at the stuff the kids reveal they know about through their questions.

I get tons of email from teens and young people (some who identify themselves as Christians or having been raised Christian) who are getting into it or have been involved. They usually are not telling anyone else about it except others who are into it.

12. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Met some of those witches in other places, so don't deny it, and am very aware of the trickery and role playing. Again, no one who would come to know me would consider me to be engaging in the occult for participating in the game; I would make that abundantly clear from the get go.

What you are talking about is exactly why I went and checked into the game. I have come across no agenda to make such a distortion or to demonize the game.

I have spoke of the Lord and shared the gospel there many times and never been censored for it. On the other hand I have reported abuse and the matter was dealt with.

13. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW manofgod,

Add me... "Tektonizer".

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I want to clarify that I am not saying that playing this game is engaging in the occult.

What I am saying, is that I have seen that playing in games that imitate occult magic (even in a watered down way) and use the idea of other gods (which is a part of an amazingly number of games these days) desensitizes some players to the evil of these things, and gets some interested.

Why is the game using magic and false gods? If could not have these things. Have you considered this, or how the enemy can use this? Why is it that an increasing number of games have these elements? I have my own ideas but wanted to make a point by asking this.

I'm glad you witness but you are in the game. I'm just saying that might be confusing (that you play it) to some who do know about the real stuff.

15. Benjamin

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I certainly think there is a need and place for battling against the occult and you have a worthy ministry. Not to discount, but I do think a person can get too wrapped up in giving more credit to the motive and power of persuasion to things (not of truth) than they deserve. When this happens, the perception of a non-believer seeing a Christian showing fear and suspicion in something they otherwise commonly would truly see as innocent can cause adverse effects. What I mean by that is seen by placing yourself in the shoes of someone who is observing another of faith: “Look at this person who calls themselves a Christian and believes in all these weird saying of the Bible (sic); they also believe that I am being influenced by the occult through participating in this harmless game. I don’t know about God, but some of these Christians are wacked out enough to read all kinds of things into all kinds of situations, so how will I ever know the truth?”

We will probably differ in this area a bit because you have indeed been in the past involved getting caught up in the occults. On the other hand, I have never given them much credit (not that they can not be a real threat) toward having true power; it’s just that I am a very critical thinker in these areas. Your background shows you having more vulnerability to be persuaded by the power some of these occult rituals much more than I that you may read more into it, are more suspicious and threatened of the influence. Again, not to insinuate that there is not a real danger or disregard the fact that some do buy into these things. I just don’t like to give them much credit from the get go, because I know they are a lie, any influence from Satan will be full of lies, and I feel it important to project confidence in my belief.

As for Runescape, the magic lvl determines rather one can transport around the game and how strong of a fire bolt or whatever they can cast as a weapon. It is a game designed around the mid-evil times and relates to that period which involves working as a fisherman, smithing, mining or other craftsmanship to gain gold pieces, armor, swords, etc. and has combat such as ranging, along with castles, ogres, dragons, ghosts, fighting skeletons and yes, magic, much like the stories one might hear from Greek Mythology of Hercules. I believe the motive for the magic is to allow more activities, and knowing the game I just do not see it as having an ulterior motive that is threatening to children’s minds or I would be in strong opposition to it.

I see no more threat from influence into witchcraft and magic in this game than that of the story “Wizard of OZ” which common knowledge would tell me that it was probably frowned on as being an evil influence in its time as well. Looking back it seems a bit silly that some would come to those conclusions about it, doesn’t it? Well, to me it does. Frankly, I would find it more disturbing about seeing people give credit to the powers of, say an “Ouigi Board,” WHY? Because they are expressing real belief in something to have some sort of powers, (yet still a lie, but the design of it is to have a real confession to those false powers), and there is just not that kind of real belief present in the game of Runescape.

This kind of conversation is hard to do in writing because one does not know how the words are being taken. (And though an interesting and worthy discussion, "witchcraft" that is, it gets long) I do understand that we "may" look at some of these things very differently as per the example of when you showed belief that a martial artist could really have the power to hold a man down with one finger. I just don’t believe or even get into believing those kinds of things from my personal type of no-nonsense viewpoint. As a witness for Christ, I feel it very important from my perspective not to come across as having paranoia of powers such as what witchcraft is supposedly to have. The only power I believe they truly have is deceiving people to believe a lie is the truth. There is none of that kind of deception going on in the game of Runescape.

#15 Benjamin, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2008
  16. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks for your thoughts.

My background really has nothing to do with being more vulnerable, as you put it. I am not tempted by these things now becuase I realize how evil they are; I have to read all kinds of occult stuff for my ministry in order to have credibility. If I were more vulnerable, I could not do this ministry.

Also, I do not think I was more vulnerable than any other person. Some are not attracted to the occult, some are. But we can't base what we do or don't do on the idea that "I" am not as vulnerable as some other person. It has to be based on biblical principles.

And the reason to stay away from this stuff would not be fear but to be separate from principles that are hostile to Christ. I can tell you that people in the occult do respect Christians who take a stand on what they believe, and are contempous of Christians who are wishy-washy.

Wizard of Oz was a story, not an interactive game, and had no real magic in it except for the good and bad witches (which I am still not comfortable with, but occult magic did not dominate the story).

The Ouija Board was designed originally as a tool for contact with the dead. Read my article on it on my webiste. And yes, demons have, and will respond at times if one uses this board.

It is not a matter of believing that witchcraft has a real power or not -- any power in it is demonic. We know demons are real and I do believe they are active. Engaging in games that honor a belief in occult magic is where I would draw the line simply because of the principles involved. If that was seen as having fear, then so be it. I would rather others think I had fear than that they thought I was okay with such power.

As for the medieval world - many real life witches, etc. are caught up in this time period. They love the idea that magic was honored then or is part of the story/history of the time period (at least they see it this way) and are drawn to this partly for this reason.

I used to do astrological charts for real witches and Neopagans -- they are out there and do believe there is a power they can access. Even if you don't think there is such a power, you are engaging in a game that honors it. This stuff is not fantasy to many people.

I see your points and respect your views; I've heard this reasoning before. I'm just trying to give you the other side of it from someone who knew and knows the people who do these things for real.