1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ruth 1:16 and weddings

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by ktn4eg, Apr 28, 2012.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

From time to time I've heard the contents of Ruth 1:16 ("...wither thou goest, I will go....") used as a part of wedding ceremonies. However, if one reads the context in which this verse is found, Ruth's statement doesn't seem to have anything to do with marriage at all. It is simply a statement of Ruth's desire to remain with her mother-in-law Naomi as Naomi returns from Moab back to Judah.

With that context in mind, is it scriptural to use this verse in wedding ceremonies?

2. HeirofSalvation

HeirofSalvation Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Depending on the context that it is used....say, as part of a vow or statement from a bride to a groom, this may be one of the most beautiful and theologically deep statements about marriage there is. Consider, this would have been prerequisite for Ruth to have landed Boaz.

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I generally dont use much from Ruth for ceremonies as most of popular passages (including the above) are saying between Ruth and Naomi.

There's plenty of other material, like Song of Songs!

4. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    One could also say that this passage shows a deep love between persons, regardless of the mechanics of the relationship.