1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sabbatical Policy for Senior Pastors

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Dr. Bob, Mar 26, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does your church have one?

Is this a throw-back to another generation and no longer relevant today?

What guidelines/limitations would you put on such a policy?

Ours (one I am proposing for new senior pastor coming in June) is 12-weeks AFTER 7 years. Not vacation or education, but renewal, reviving. Maybe going to some conferences, doing some reading - but MUST leave town. And check in with elders so there is accountability.

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We've been looking at the idea too, but we've got some time to work on it. The senior pastor (currently the only pastor) is still wet behind the ears.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

No church I have been in has had one. But many churches, when I was in them, hadn't had a pastor for more than seven years.

I think it comes highly recommended for all church staff. 7 years sounds good. Mine would be coming up soon. I could use one now. I am exhausted.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Member
    Site Supporter

What about "writing breaks"? I know that John Piper's church allows him about a month each year to isolate himself for writing.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    A neighboring pastor to me gets the entire month of June off, paid at a "retreat" center up near the Grand Tetons. Fish, hike, horses, but key is the library for reading, enriching and writing.

I sure like that idea. + he still gets 3 weeks vacation for travel, seeing grandkids, etc.

6. Haruo

Haruo New Member

Y'know, I don't know if we have such a policy. The pastor who was here when I was baptized retired after more than 10 years here, and I'm pretty sure he didn't get a sabbatical in there (as distinct from vacations). So we probably don't have such a thing; I'll have to ask.

My dad was the ABC campus minister at the University of Washington from 1953 to 1967, at which point (after 14 years, that is) they gave him a full year off, paid (I gather the policy was 6 months every 7 years but he had never taken the first one). He spent the year as a visiting fellow at Waseda Hoshien, the Christian student center at Waseda University in Tōkyō, and we kids had the priceless experience of attending Japanese public schools for a year (without which I would never have ended up with a name like Haruo). So I'm all in favor of generous sabbatical leave policies, especially if I or those I love are on the receiving end.

Haruo

7. Trapper

Trapper New Member

I don't think it will work. Why, because few can make it 7 years. Those that do will be near death and a sabbatical will probably be to late. I'm new to the pastorate and can see burn-out approaching. I think a month off per year would be great with those making it to 5 years recieving say 5 months off to do whatever suits them, as long as it's out away from the church.
    Sincerely
    Ol Trapper

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I think it should be more often than seven years. Maybe five.

Pew and Lily foundation will pick up the tab of the pastor's salary while the pastor is on sabbatical leave under certain circumstances.

Our church presently doesn't have one. We've been in the dark ages on some things. We just got an ARP worked out. It will take some time.