1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Saints and Faithful Brethren = All Believers?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by James_Newman, Jun 1, 2007.

1. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

This is stemming from the thread on Christians sinning. I didn't participate in the thread beyond starting it and reading, but I think there is definitely much confusion over terminology. One should be able to agree that a brother is a saved person. One should be able to agree that a saint is a brother. But does it follow that every brother is a saint? Or even if every brother is a saint positionally, is every brother a saint practically?

Colossians 1:1-2
    1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, and Timothy our brother,
    2 To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Paul is writing to 'saints and faithful brethren' at the church in Colosse. Why does Paul refer to them as such? It is because he knows that it is reported of them that they are such.

Colossians 1:4
    4 Since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus, and of the love which ye have to all the saints.
    Colossians 1:7-8
    7 As ye also learned of Epaphras our dear fellow servant, who is for you a faithful minister of Christ;
    8 Who also declared unto us your love in the Spirit.

People are talking about the Colossians and they way they demonstrate love for their brethren, and Paul is commending them for their godly example. Does Paul use such glowing language when greeting the Corinthians?

1 Corinthians 1:2
    2 Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

He says they are called to be saints. To the church, them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, and all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus, and are called to be saints. This description applies to every believer. Every one of us as believers is called to be a saint. Does Paul say the Corinthians have a great reputation like the Colossians?

1 Corinthians 1:10-11
    10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.
    11 For it hath been declared unto me of you, my brethren, by them which are of the house of Chloe, that there are contentions among you.

1 Corinthians 6:7-8
    7 Now therefore there is utterly a fault among you, because ye go to law one with another. Why do ye not rather take wrong? why do ye not rather suffer yourselves to be defrauded?
    8 Nay, ye do wrong, and defraud, and that your brethren.Paul doesn't call the Corinthians saints because they aren't acting like saints! What about this command in 2 Thes.

2 Thessalonians 3:14-15
    14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.
    15 Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Matthew 12:50: For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

3. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Good grief, James. The scripture is clear. A born-again Believer is positionally a saint, not a sinner.

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Ok, positionally speaking I don't have a problem with that. But we are called to walk in our position.

Proverbs 17:2 A wise servant shall have rule over a son that causeth shame, and shall have part of the inheritance among the brethren.

5. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Spiritually, we can't do anything BUT walk in our position. You are the righteousness of God in Christ. That never changes.

There are times when the flesh gets the upper hand, my spirit is quickened, I realize that I have grieved the Holy Spirit, I turn to 1 John 1:9 not to get saved again, but to restore fellowship with my Champion.

What a Savior!

:jesus: :godisgood: