1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Salvation by Faith

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, May 18, 2007.

1. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Amy G...

I couldnt have said it better myself! Isnt it just magnificently wonderful the provision our God has made for us?

God bless,

Mike

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Ok. You have an opportunity to shine. :)

Would you consider the post by Amy (not to pick on her by any means, but just as an example) Calvinistic in leanings? If so, how would you refute her presentation? Is she wrong about imputed righteousness and positional holiness? If so, what approach would you take to present the truth to her and illustrate her error?

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

By "born again", I'm assuming you mean spiritually saved.

So, do you mind backing up your assertion with Scripture?

I just gave a whole bunch of verses that show otherwise, and you have replied with a "no it isn't!" type of argument.

Where's the Scripture that says that every saved person is a saint?

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

No, I would not consider her views that she's expressed here as being Calvinistic. From everything she has posted, she seems to post from her understanding of Scriptures, not from worshipping a man-made doctrine.

Does what she posts line up with Calvinism? Some do, some don't.

She's also pro-life, and that doesn't make her Catholic.

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I was not making a statement meant to indicate my actual desires, or whether or not I have obtained them. I simply was using myself as an example. (Do you suppose that the Apostle Paul could have employed much the same tactic in Romans 7? Just a thought.)

HP: Would you have a verse to support that?

HP: You should know something else by now as well, in that I do not believe that to be the case.

HP: This depends on what one sees an imperfections and problems. Yes, we are human, as I so aptly had the honor of demonstrating for the list recently, when I misunderstood HOG and made statements that were as one that beateth the air and had to apologize. Sin is entirely a different matter. I can say before God and man that I was indeed not trying in any way to misrepresent his thoughts, yet I clearly did. Although I did not sin in doing so, (although I was repeatedly called a liar) once light arrived to my conscience, I felt the need to make amends the best I could and pray that I might not repeat the same mistake again.

Willful rebellion against a known commandment of God is the only true definition of sin according to Scripture. If I harbor sin, without sincere repentance, I do not believe that I can hold a sure hope of eternal life, and entertain the confidence that I will be found in Christ in the last day. Sin and holiness, sin and righteousness, are mutually exclusive ideas. “.1Jo 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.” "Without holiness, no man shall see God."

#45 Heavenly Pilgrim, May 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2007
  6. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: OK. So she is not Calvinistic to you. How would you refute the positional righteousness and positional holiness she employed in her post, and present your view as being significantly different? Did not you say that you do not hold to such 'positional' concepts?

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Oh boy HP, you've gone and done it now! :laugh: Calvinistic? Paaaalease! Hope of G was right. What I believe is my interpretation of scripture. I'd never even heard of Calvin or Arminius until I joined the BB a few months ago.

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Who says that I would refute it?

I would ask her a question, though:

I agree that Scriptures state that we are made righteous forever when we are born from above (no works involved).

However, we're also commanded to be righteous (based on works or behavior in the present tense; durative action).

Why do we need to be rightous if we're already made righteous forever?

9. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: If that is not the heart and soul of positional righteousness, the Pope is not a Catholic.
    You state that it is done with “no works involved…forever.” Let me ask you a question. Why would one have to be worried about doing something today if in fact it was all settled for eternity when one is saved, or as some state it, from eternity past? If works have nothing to do with righteousness, that is a clearly ‘positional righteousness” position, is it not? It is accomplished as you say, with “NO WORKS INVOLVED,” and it is settled “FOREVER?”

Can you answer, in light of your own stated position, your question to Amy, which was “Why do we need to be righteous if we're already made righteous forever?” Can you hope to be more righteous than you already positionally have been made?

10. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Hope of Glory,

I said...

And you responded...

You will find tons of scripture in this excellant material...

http://www.pbministries.org/books/gill/Sermons&Tracts/sermon_38.htm

Here is an excerpt...

God bless,

Mike

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Will you ever be able to forgive me? I certainly hope so. :praying: :)

12. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Heavenly Pilgrim,

Regarding my statements that you are a saint right now, and that you were "set apart" and made "holy" when you were born again, and that when we sin it does not change in the least our status as "saints", you said...

HP, the classification "saint" is a synonym for "christian". Under the new covenant it has nothing to do with being "super-holy" regarding our behavior, or even being faithful and obedient...as wonderful as those qualities are.

I will refer to the Bakers Dictionary of Theology, Baker Book House, Grand Rapids, Mich...

Blessings,

Mike

13. D28guy

D28guy New Member

HP,

Amy G said...

Tread softly, brother...tread softly. :eek: :praying:

When a woman says....

((("paaaaalease")))

...its time to tread veeeeery softly! :laugh:

Mike

14. D28guy

D28guy New Member

HP,

You didnt ask me, but I'll just say...while waiting for HOG to answer...that we have the Holy Spirit alive in us, inspiring us to WANT to please God and live consistently with who we are...completly secure children of God.

As Paul put it....

"It is no longer I that live, but Christ that lives in me"

Jesus Christ is alive and well, and He is living through us.

In adition to that, God certainly deals with us as any loving Father does with their kids. If we need discipline or chastisement, God is very good at that.

But primarily...we simply have a divine presence within us making us WANT to please our Father. Its a completly different motivation than the fear based motivation of living as if we are still under the Law..,which of course we have been freed from.

God bless,

Mike

15. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

And, although I've shown many passages (and I could go on for pages, but there's a 10,000 character limit) that show that "saint" and "saved" are not synonymous (although it could easily be argued "saint" and "Christian" could be, since "Christian means "Christ-like" and not all saved people are Christ-like, but I have a feeling that you also equate "saved" with "Christian"; please correct me if I'm wrong.)

You have yet to show one single passage of Scripture that equates "saint" with "saved". You've quoted some traditions of men, and I could show you several that say "no it isn't!"

Instead, I've shown Scriptures, and lots of them. We're to compare Scripture with Scripture, and there is no way, other than using circular logic, to show that all saved people are saints. (The circular logic in this case, for example, would be, "See, the epistle is written to saints, therefore, all saved people are saints!")

BTW, "hagios" is an interesting word. It was originally cultic that denoted the concept that things and people could, because of qualities possessed, approach divinity.

But, after the church coopted it (as they did many words), while similar, it's slightly different.

When used as an adjective, it means "to being dedicated or consecrated to the service of God".

I know many saved people who certainly aren't dedicated to the service of God. They simply have fire insurance.

But, in Mark 6:20, it says that John was a just and holy man. One is just by following the ordinances of the Lord.

One is holy by being dedicated to the service of God.

Both words are adjectives, describing John, and both are works. That's not how one is saved, and being saved is no guarantee that an individual will do them. (Works are still works, even if you try to backload them as "proof" of being saved.)

Now, one should be just and holy when one is part of the family, but not all even care.

Arndt, William ; Danker, Frederick W. ; Bauer, Walter: A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature. 3rd ed. Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 2000, S. 10

16. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Let me use BobRyan (Sorry, Bob!) as an example. He uses page after page of Scriptures (something which is lacking in this thread) to show that we can become unsaved.

Although I disagree with his final conclusion, he shows, using Scriptures, over and over, that saved people have to fear losing something.

What is that something?

If we have nothing to lose, why all the warnings that are given to saved individuals, all throughout the Scriptures?

What can we lose, HP?

17. D28guy

D28guy New Member

HoG'

I've had to keep that in mind when posting with you and many others on here as well.

Oh my.

Not a single scripture. (eyes rolling)

And I guess there was "not a single scripture" (eyes rolling again) on the previous page with my documentation of "imputed rightiousness" that I presented for you?

(I had to keep in mind the 10,000 word limit with that one. Thats why there was a link)

Scripture, scripture, scripture, scripture, scripture...

Grace and peace,

Mike

18. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

What does "imputed righteousness" have to do with "saint"?

19. D28guy

D28guy New Member

Hope of Glory,

(((Huh???))) :confused:

HoP...I posted that info becaue YOU ASKED me to!

I posted this to you...

And YOU posted THIS to ME....

Remember???? :thumbs:

So...I posted part of an over 10,000 character biblical explanation of imputed rightiousness...flooded with scripture...with a link to the rest.

Mike

#59 D28guy, May 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2007
  20. D28guy

D28guy New Member

HoG,

I guess I'll back track because you seem to have lost the train of thought.

The reason it applies is because you are saying one can only be called a "saint" when that one has reached a certain level of obedience/faithfulness, etc.

But the scriptures teach that we reach the level of "completly sinless" at the moment we are born again. Positionally, when God sees us He sees the sinless rightiousness of Christ....

"He who knew no sin, became sin, so that we might become the rightiousness of God in Him"

Our "position" is "In Christ", and thus completly holy, completely righteous, and completely sinless. Practically we still blow it, make mistakes, make dumb decisions, sin, etc. But we are free from the condemnation of those failings because of our identification with Christ.

And thats why God "sees us" as Holy. Thats why we can be called "saints of God" in spite of our failings. Thats why in the new testament "saint" is a synonym for "christian"

Hope this helps,

Mike