1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Salvation by Grace Through Faith

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by J. Jump, Jul 21, 2007.

?
  1. Faith in the Substitutionary death and shed blood of the Lamb of God.

19 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. Faith (as in No. 1) and repentance from sin.

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. Faith and repentance and confession.

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Faith, repentance, confession, with a guarantee of works.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Faith, repentance, confession, works, baptism.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

1 vote(s)
    3.6%
  1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Sola fide, sola gratia, soli Deo gloria.

2. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

The first word was salvation which comes from the lord So I went with the lamb of God. I counted out the ones with works in it. It did not really understand it but my heart was going for the first one. The word lamb of God got to me.

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Careful, I agree to the extent that only those who invest in the stock market cares if it crashes. Folks in Florida don't care too much about the snow in the rockies. In like manner only those who choose a path of salvation and discipleship care to repent of their sins.

When ones heart changes and they really begin to see what a filthy rag they were/are especially in the light of GOD's righteousness, they will not only want to repent of future sins, they will also feel the need to repent of past sins even if they never stray. These are sins that happened prior to their commitment to Christ or being on, "the right path".

Romans 3:22-25 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
    23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
    24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
    25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

So repentance is not just turning back, it is also turning away from. We turn away or are, "transformed" by the change or "renewing" of our minds. So when I say change ones mind, I agree we are repenting of what we've done and committing to not do it again.

My comment was more addressing the part of repenting to be saved. I don't see a verse that says repent to be saved but I repent because I am saved and the goodness of my Lord and Saviour led me to repent.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Bingo!

But, since I have to post more than one word, I will add that there's no guarantee that one will repent, but it is a command.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: Salvation by Grace through faith?

I am at work right now, and I don't have my bible with me, but I think it's in James 4:7-10 or 11. It states to "Cleanse your hands, ye sinners, purify your hearts, ye doubleminded*; Be afflicted and mourn and weep; Turn your laughter into sorrow, and turn you joy into heaviness; HUMBLE YOURSELVES IN THE SIGHT OF THE LORD, AND HE WILL LIFT YOU UP." This is what it takes to be saved, IMHO.

*James 1:8 "A doubleminded man is unstable in ALL his ways."

6. skypair

skypair Active Member

" For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death." Heb 10:39

skypair

7. Cutter

Cutter New Member

My vote, "Faith in the Substitutionary death and shed blood of the Lamb of God."

To summarize John 3:16, God gave the the Son, as a "Substitutionary death," on our behalf. He shed His "blood." He was sent as a sacrifice, "slain from the foundation of the world." He is God's perfect "Lamb." Salvation is all of God. The only requirement for us in this scripture and elsewhere is "faith," i.e. "whosever believeth."
    As I pointed out in another thread,
    John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
    :29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
    Hence, by grace are ye saved through faith. The faith in the Substitutionary death and shed blood of the Lamb of God.
    Why so much emphasis on faith? Because a believer will repent, a believer will follow, and a believer loves the Lord.

#27 Cutter, Jul 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2007
  8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Did you mean 2 Cor 7:10?

I agree with Paul, sorrow without repentance is unproductive at best. It is caused by people feeling bad for the position their sin put them in but they don't repent for the sin that got them there. This is worldly sorrow at it's best. It leads to self pitty and frustration with God. It's like a person that apologizes but still wants you to hear their excuse for doing it.

God is a fair and just judge. He knows what's best for us. We should strive to accept the position our sins put us in and still repent for the sin then lift our holy hands to heaven and thank him for being our God. This is a person who will stay on the strait and narrow and the Lord will say, "your sins are forgiven".