1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Salvation/election in an illustration

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by PreachTREE, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm not sure what you're saying.

Are you saying that one cannot look upon Christ until He has been born again? He has to be saved before He can be saved? :confused:

2. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

I'm saying that one can not look upon Christ until the Holy Spirit has opened his eyes to see. Men loved darkness rather than the light. Men would rather be in the dark, blind, than to come to Christ for salvation. They must be born again. Intellectual knowledge won't do it. Wanting salvation along with every other emotional desire or material desire will not do it. The rich young ruler wanted salvation along with all the other possessions he had. He was not born again of God. This is a sovereign act of God, Amy. Just as Jesus said, you can not see or enter into the kingdom of God without being born again. Being born again is a sovereign act of God, not an exercise of the will of man. Have you changed your theological views again? Just wondering. :)

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So much of what gets debated on this issue are but periphial issues. Getting down to the crux of the differences between us is v. 13 of John Ch 1.

With regards to just what was intended by John in his use of the phrase "nor of the will of man" it can reasonably be interpreted two ways with only one being correct.

1. Man cannot and does not have any part in a conscience decision in the salvation provided by Christ.

2. Regardless of any conscience decision made by man toward the salvation provided him by Christ the credit can only go to Christ because of His authority, power, and righteousness.

4. reformedbeliever

This would be wrong. We do have to make a decision. When one is born again of God, they must and will choose in the affirmative. "All that the Father gives me will come..."

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I told you I was a schizo. :laugh:

I have had lot's of problems making Calvinism make sense. Sorry. I know you're disappointed in me. :saint:

Let me ask this. When the Israelites looked upon the serpent, was it because their eyes had been opened by God and they were chosen to be saved from death?

Christ Himself compared His being lifted up on a pole to that of the serpent on the pole in the desert.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The above bolded is forced salvation. Salvation is not forced, else it would not be a gift.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

God is sovereign.

You are not saved until God says you are regardless of what you think, say or do.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

If I were to say I loved mint chocolate chip ice cream rather than vanilla...is it because I have never tasted vanilla, or because I tasted both and preferred one over the other?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who is this directed to? If I failed to have faith in Christ I would still be saved? I'm not following...

10. reformedbeliever

Yes.

Now answer this. If God in His perfect knowledge knew who would look upon the serpent, could they have chosen to not look? If God also knew who would not look upon the serpet, could they have chosen to look? Not if God's knowledge is perfect. When we come to the point of decision, we make choices which are dependent upon circumstances that are a part of the decision. Who puts those circumstances in place? Could God do that? Could that be a part of God's providence? God's providence is not always God providing all the good things in a person's life. God may have decided to create one vessel unto honor and one unto dishonor. Don't allow your reasoning to get in the way of God's revealed Word Amy. I'm sure you will not do that, in reading most all of your replies. You seem to be really solid. I don't want you to be a Calvinist, I'd rather you be someone who holds to the full counsel of God.... and I'm sure you are. I'm not disapointed in you at all.

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yes, yes and yes. Knowledge isn't deterministic in nature.

12. reformedbeliever

Oh yes, a rescue is forced. I've done cpr on many a clinically dead persons, and all of them who lived would not have lived had I not forced myself upon them.

13. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

OK, if the person is made "alive" prior to faith...the need for faith is what exactly? If one passes from death to life, they are saved.

Hey, I used your wording (must, will) :)

14. reformedbeliever

It is if you are God.

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

God forknows all sin, too. He has determined that too?

16. reformedbeliever

Think about it Web. They are made alive by Faith. This is the gift of God.

17. reformedbeliever

In a way that does not make Him the author of sin. He determined what Joseph's brothers would do.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I agree regeneration occurs with faith. You seem to be arguing regeneration preceding faith.

19. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Now this doesn't make much sense. Above you alluded to foreknowledge = determining. You can't have it one way in regards to salvation and another in regards to sin.

20. reformedbeliever

It makes no difference in which way I have it....... the difference is what scripture says.