1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Salvation/election in an illustration

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by PreachTREE, Apr 14, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Nunatak, free will only means that God has put before man life and death. He has allowed whether man follows Him or not. This is evident from the early OT to the end of the NT. This doesn't mean that God allows the earth to run rampant, though, with no cotrol over what goes on. He does intervene. This is evidenced by the fact God draws all to Him, as without God acting first in man's life, nobody would willingly come looking for God. This is why He has put His Law in all men's hearts (Romans), why He has given man a conscience, and He is known through creation. Everything that is needed to come to Him has been given us, but He has decided sovereignly to allow man to accept or reject Him. Love is never forced in any situation.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Conviction (to make to see) and regeneration are not the same thing. God does have the power, authority, and will to convict so that one may then choose to make a conscience decision to come to Him. God does the convicting and the regenerating. But in between there is our choice to come to Him. Regardless of our choice God retains all credit and glory for salvation. For without Him we could never have that choice.

And I will just add that no scripture indicates that God refuses to convict some people and He will never reach out to those who reject Him. God reaches out to all men. Many are called but few are chosen.

#82 Revmitchell, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2008
  3. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

That is why some men are smarter, more informed, live in a better place making it easier to believe, etc..............

Of course they would never boast however............

4. reformedbeliever

See there............. they would never boast!

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is that supposed to mean?

6. reformedbeliever

Do you think that in between conviction and regeneration, an exercise of your will is the hinge for God to cause you to be born again?

We are not born of flesh or blood or the will of man, but of God. Regeneration is a sovereign act. He causes us to be born again. He awakens our dead spirit.

#86 reformedbeliever, Apr 17, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2008
  7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Who cares what their intellect and arrangements are. The Bible says his Law is on every man's heart. Your boasting strawman doesn't make sense.

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The problem is your definition of soveriegnty.

And on this we agree:thumbs:

9. reformedbeliever

Care to show how my definition of sovereignty is incorrect?

10. reformedbeliever

What strawman? That is your favorite word huh? :)

What was it about you that made you make the right choice of believing when other would not?

Do you now have reason to boast?

11. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Only when they are erected :)
    Nothing "about me". It's "about Him". He offered the gift...I accepted. Some don't. We don't know what goes through the minds of those who don't, and why they have exchanged the truth for a lie. We do know the god of this world blinds them, though.
    I've never, ever heard of a person to boast when they accept a gift. Have you? They usually are excited, and quite humble.

12. reformedbeliever

Yes. When they say that they were smart enough to choose the gift when someone else didn't.

13. reformedbeliever

You'd make a great politician Web. Way to talk circles around the quesiton. You excell at it.

14. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Never heard that one before...

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not taking around anything. Do you know what goes through the mind of the reprobate? If you do you could be making quite a bit of money with the psychic friends network...

16. nunatak

nunatak New Member

I see your point. I also do believe that men must choose to follow Christ. I just don't know how much that choice is influenced by God's grace. I don't believe flesh will glory in His presence. But if God has enabled me to follow Christ by a public choice that I can make, then I make it gladly. To God goes all the glory.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is ONLY due to God's grace that anyone is saved . Even the word "influence" is too mild of a term to describe it . If you wish to ascribe him all the glory you would not say :"I just don't know how much that choice is influenced by God's grace."

18. nunatak

nunatak New Member

Wow, what a fair post. I know that in my flesh, I would boast if possible. But thanks be to God I can't. My problem is more ignorance, imo, both of the scope and power and sweep of God's grace. And of my own inate tendency to glorify myself. That, I hope, is not my conscious desire.