1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Salvation for the hostile witness

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by glfredrick, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Skan,

In the Op I think the idea of the super outwardly rebellious person was being viewed, ie the demoniac.....

What I find much more troubling is this other inner rebellion. I am concerned for the young people ...both my own,and those I see in churches I have been in,or visit.

Many churches strive to do things decently and in order. That is a good thing.
    What happens however is that sometimes the children just learn to sit quietly,so they do not get spanked...but they really do not pay attention.
    then they grow older...but never really seek to commune with God.

They exchange the outward obedience to parental instruction...and sacrifice the inner heart communion which is primary.

Jesus starting with nicodemus, then going to the temple, then the sermon on the mount kept a steady theme of the contrast between the outer externals of religion....contrasted to the inner thought life.

2. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I have the same conviction brother! Preach it!

3. Skandelon

I'm assuming you have me in the latter camp? Please help me understand what you mean by "immediate assent?" I'm just trying to follow you so I can better understand the question.

It appears that you are asking the non-Calvinist how we believe the conversion takes place in the life of someone outwardly hostile toward God, is that right?

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

I would ask the person why they hate God. Hate is often a defensive reaction. If a person believes God hates them, they will hate God in return. We see the story of Mary Magdelene in scriptures. Being a harlot, she most likely believed God hated her. But Jesus showed her he loved her and wanted to forgive her sins. Her hard heart was broken and she was filled with love and joy toward her Savior.

Many people falsely believe God hates them and so hate God in return. Show this person God truly loves them and gave his Son Jesus to die for them personally. If they will listen, you may win them over.

It takes time and patience, it is difficult for people to break with long held beliefs.

5. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    glfred,
    I am the last person on the face of the earth who would have wanted to seek God, or the bible years ago. I cursed christians, ridiculed them, etc.
    Started to read the bible to find all the mistakes and contradictions in it.
    There is just no way I was going to believe the bible and quote scripture,or go to church or bible study.
    I was looking to find things I could laugh at. After 4 months or so, secretly reading a bible I found my way into the NT and the Spirit of God wrought such conviction of sin in my heart I thought for sure God was going to take my very breath away.
    When the Spirit of God moves savingly on a person it is all over.

When Jesus says come all that labor and are heavy laden, come unto me and I will give you rest.....I believe this is spoken to those the Spirit moves upon in this way. In other words ....the only ones who will come have already been convicted of the sinfulness of their sin

6. Skandelon

I think Icon's testimony points to an important point. The power of the Spirit's truth.

Point people to the truth in love and that is really all you can do. :)

7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Nice to find a neutral topic to agree on for a change:laugh::laugh::thumbs:

8. Skandelon

:thumbsup: I suspect we have a lot more in common than we don't in the greater scheme of things. :)

9. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Great testimony! Thanks for sharing! :jesus:

10. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

why don't we ask Apostles paul and james if they "loved Jesus" before they were converted!

Think that the "hardest to reach" people are some of the ones God delights in save as they REALLY show off His grace and mercy!

reminded of George Mueller, londan orphenege

prayed YEARS for close friend to get saved, and he did at george Mueller funural service!

11. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I do, but not for the sake of argument, more in wondering how those with an Arminian or other outlook ACTUALLY approach the issue of a hostile encounter.

By "immediate assent" I mean those times when, as we try to share the gospel, read the Scriptures, pray, speak of godly things, etc., and the people are quite (and even violently) opposed to that effort. In other words, people like me, before salvation, when I told a pastor to "stick your god, your Bible and your church right up your @**." I've been told as much in my own witnessing encounters, yet some of those people are now not only "in Christ" but they are in ministry!

That, and I am also, as mentioned above, working with persons with MPD, and in virtually every case with them, the entire issue is hostile. They have been ritualistically abused, given the opportunity (as little children, no less) to "cry out to Jesus" and when they did, a person dressed as Jesus, with everyone else in the room bowing and carrying on as if that one were indeed the true Son of God, raped them or worse in the most horrific ways possible.

Imagine that happening to 4, 5, 6 year old boys and girls! Over years of ritualistic abuse like that, they are indeed hostile to any attempt to share the gospel with them, but at the same time, they are crying and screaming for help that only God can provide.

How does one go about that task?

Especially if one holds, as many here do, that the individual must "choose Christ" in faith before regeneration takes place.

I am very confused as to how that might work, both in the examples above, and in other examples in the Scriptures, some of which have already been mentioned.

12. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Robert,

We have a Great God, and so great salvation. Knowing how rebellious I was I am confident to present the gospel in any situation knowing that God is able to save to the uttermost ,those who will come to God by Him.
    I know that God has more gifted persons, and more eloquent spokesman ...but I usually do not see them in the truckstops and warehouses and resturants that I travel in.
    So God uses me with all my rough edges to speak to some other rough individuals. Robert.... we do not often agree on theological subjects from what I can see....but we can agree on God's great mercy for sinners.
    God forbid if we can all discuss theology here....and then fail to bring gospel light on our jobs, and around those we meet in the marketplace:godisgood:
    You might not believe it...but it is my understanding of the doctrines of grace that compels me to obey mt 28 in public...

#32 Iconoclast, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011
  13. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I agree... Most of my witnessing encounters have been with persons who were not inclined to accept Christ, not initially, not ever, save that God do something to change them, and praise Him, He did!

I have even worked up a gospel presentation that takes into account the fact that most of my witnessing encounters WILL be hostile. I depend on the power of God to work to change hearts, otherwise, my efforts are for nothing.

But, back to the OP question... How does this work? What does one do? What about if you are one of the ones who does not see God's sovereignty in the same way I do? What is your way?

14. Skandelon

In my opinion, on the practical side of things, it really isn't much difference, Guy.

For example, when I hear Icon's testimony I suspect from his "Calvinistic" perspective he feels as if the Spirit effectually regenerated him prior to his seeking the truth in the bible, whereas I tend to think that the bible is the means used by the spirit to bring conviction and faith which lead to his being regenerated. Either way the common ground is the need for the TRUTH. The Spirit is Truth according to 1 John 5 and it is my belief that the Spirit ALWAYS works with the TRUTH is spoken.

But, even if you don't agree, you do believe that truth must be preached, so I'd say keep speaking truth in love to them. The "IN LOVE" part is important because sometimes the truth can come across as judgement and condemnation if its used as a battering ram. If the people know you really care about them they are more likely to listen to you.

Also, I will say that there may be a time for "tough love." The teaching in scripture regarding casting out the unrepentant from the church in order to save their soul is important to understand IMO. You might think that casting someone out would only serve as condemnation and judgement, but not so. In casting them out "in love" you are telling them that you will welcome them back if they repent but until then you love them too much to allow them to be enabled and supported by this fellowship. This allows them to hit rock bottom sooner or it could serve to provoke them to repentance.

This is the same principle we see at work in God's cutting off of Israel. Some see His hardening of Israel as being an act of judgement and certain condemnation. Not so. His hope is to provoke them to envy and by binding all men over to disobedience and the consequences of such allows Him to show mercy to them all.

Just my 2 cents. Like I said, I think practically it is the same for both camps really, but in my experience those of the reformed persuasion tend to "give up" on people earlier than what I see in you. I admire that about you! :thumbs:

15. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

What if the hostile ones are already at rock bottom? Street people, people with mental issues, people on the verge of death due to disease, etc.?

16. Skandelon

If they are still lashing out and fighting instead of humbling asking for assistance then they are not at "rock bottom" IMO.

When dealing with mental health issues these rules may not apply because each situation is very unique and I don't know there is one good answer to problem. Especially not in the limitations of this format.

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Yet, these people are won to the Lord on a regular basis...

Some of them are now pastors, some are still working out issues, but they and others have been "transformed by the renewing of [their] mind..."

18. Skandelon

Amen. Praise God for that! I feel like you are attempting to make some kind of a point with this statement? I believe God still heals and works miracles, if that is what you are attempting to address???

19. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: