1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

salvation message shocks church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gerald285, Aug 1, 2007.

1. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

#1 gerald285, Aug 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2007
  2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

58 minutes, that should come with a warning.

3. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

What exactly are we looking for?

4. Cutter

Cutter New Member

Enjoyed the message. Thanks for the link! :thumbs:

5. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

This is an awesome message. It is refreshing to see someone take such a bold stand for the Gospel.

You can listen to more of Paul Washer's sermons at www.sermonaudio.com .

6. gerald285

gerald285 New Member

7. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Good Stuff.

8. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

9. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'm glad someone else said it. I was beginning to think I was crazy for thinking the same thing, although I admit I haven't watched the video.

10. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

I haven't watched the video, but I assumed he was visiting another church, and it wasn't his own. But I agree if it was his church it really is a reflection on the preacher.

11. Ulsterman

Ulsterman New Member

I watched the whole video. It is an excellent, straight gospel message. I do not know why it is entitled "Message Shocks Youth", as there was nothing in the video to show the response of the congregation to the sermon. This is a message that could be and should be heard gladly in any Bible believing church anywhere. Paul Washer is evidently a faithful and earnest servant of the Lord.

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It's the title that is shocking. ;) It's as though it reads, "Church shocked to find that Jesus is the Christ!"

13. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Mr

Amen. America is gripped by easy believerism. I personally believe that the current emphasis on "Grace Only" fuels this false believe. Yes, we are saved by accepting Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. But that acceptance is necessarily accompanied by true repentance and a born again experience. 80% of Americans claim to be Christians. Does anybody really believe that? I'd say the number of true believers is more like 5%. Being a Christian is not easy. It's extremely difficult. A true believer MUST follow the strait and narrow and enter the narrow gate.

Claiming that America is a "Christian Nation" makes those who are not true Christians feel comfortable in their sins and state of damnation. America is a Christian Nation and I "believe" therefore I'm a Christian. This is a lie. A heresy. This man is preaching the TRUTH.

There is no such thing as a CARNAL CHRISTIAN. These are people who are going to HELL.

14. D28guy

D28guy New Member

That video was pretty good at times, but grieved me at others. I believe this brother crossed the line from the truth that we will have a change in our life after we are born again...to the error of legalism. Sometimes known as Lordship salvation.

When he says there is no such thing as a carnal christian he is preaching error and probably putting many people under condemnation that they have no buisiness being put under. The scriptures are overflowing with evidence that we do not reach perfection in this life, and that christians still sin. I agree that there is no such thing as a *completly* carnal christian. If there is NO change then the new birth has not taken place. But christians most definetly can and do struggle, we can and do slip, we can and do make dumb decisions, and we are ALL works in progress.

Our eternal security is one of the great truths of the christian life and it is the reason that there is always hope, and God never gives up on us. God is going to keep every single child of His no matter what problems they might have or how much struggling with sin is going on in there lives.

It is not when we reach perfection that God accepts us. It is when we are at our worst that God accepts us and makes us new. That "new" person that is created will need cultivating all our life. We do not reach "perfection* until the next life.

God bless,

Mike

15. D28guy

D28guy New Member

BaptistBeliever,

It depends on what the "I believe" means. If someone means they believe they are and American, and therefore a christian, that is error. But I've never met anyone that is that decieved. If they "believe" in their denomination, then that as well is error. Lots of people ARE that decieved.

But if the "I believe" means that they believe Christ died for their sins, took there condemnation, and they have now embraced Christ through faith alone...then THAT "I believe" will result in their eternal destiny being secured...

Notice...the fruit. or "good works" come after the new creation has come into being. They have no part in our becoming that new creation.

God bless,

Mike

#15 D28guy, Aug 6, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2007
  16. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

Satan and all of his demons believe in Jesus Christ
    Just believing don't save anyone.
    one Must Be under conviction of Sin By the Holy Spirit before one can be saved.

the fruit we bare is evidense of who we claim to be.

17. christianyouth

I loved this video, and I just wanted to let everyone know that he has many other great sermons on the internet. Many times when I have been dissillusioned by watered down preaching, I would listen to Paul Washer. God has used this man's sermons greatly in my life.

I love RC Sproul and other educated teachers, but after listening to Paul Washer, I notice that his preaching is of a whole different brand. When I really want a challenging message, almost Puritan preaching, I listen to Paul Washer.
    www.sermonaudio.com

2 great messages of Paul Washers :

Regeneration and Self-Denial
    and
    How much has Christianity Cost You

D28 Guy, Paul Washer frequently gets accused of legalism. He responds, "I believe in grace so much, it would offend you." You see, accusing a Calvinist of legalism is about as foolish as you can get. Calvinists believe that salvation is completley a work of grace, no human will involved. That is why at the beginning of the video when he is praying to God he begs for God to move, and even states the only way someone can get saved is for God to move.He believes that when God grants faith, he also grants repentance. Simple. It is not legalism.

D28, I can see your concerns. You don't want men altering the Gospel , adding extra requirements, like the Pharisees did. You want to guard the Gospel of Grace, and to emphasize that God is all inclusive, not casting out any who come to him. I agree with that. But to understand how this message is not legalistic, you need to grasp regeneration. Regeneration is God making us alive when we were dead in sin, planting faith into our hearts, taking out our wicked, Adamic hearts and giving us new hearts that are not opposed to his law.

This is a great message, and I wish there were more preachers who preached this 'legalist' doctrine.

18. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Don't worry. Legalism is based on human pride. There's plenty of pride to go around, and it's spreading throughout the church like a cancer. So there will be more and more people to preach their "gospel" based on their pride.

19. christianyouth

Salvation is completley carried out by God, and repentance always accompanies saving faith.

Is that legalistic?

20. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Adrian Rogers once said "Salvation is free. But discipleship WILL cost you."
    I say that to myself everyday.