1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

salvation message shocks church

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by gerald285, Aug 1, 2007.

1. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Mr

Something like 80% of Americans claim to be Christians. Do you believe that's anywhere close to the real number?

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

The late Adrian Rogers had it exactly right, here.

Ed

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Does it make sense to ask, at this point, "Are we all called to be disciples, or is that a special calling?"

4. Archeryaddict

Archeryaddict New Member

not only are we all called to be disciples of the Gospel we are all called to go out into the world and preach the gospel.
    we cannot keep what we have unless we give it away.

5. mmetts

mmetts New Member

My wife and I watched the whole video. :praying:

6. christianyouth

christianyouth New Member

That's great, mmets! Tell us what you thought of it.

7. mmetts

mmetts New Member

I will have to quote him on, perhaps, my favorite part of the sermon:

He was regarding prophets, and saying, "everyone wants to talk about a prophet, but nobody really wants one". I enjoyed how Mr. Washer kept great authority, even when the audience clapped at his exclamation of Christ Jesus. He was not interested in befriending them and lost no time reproving them for clapping when he was addressing them with particular sins.

He goes onto to say (and I do not believe it was angled toward Charismatics, but I wholly agreed with it) some things about the American church and "fake fire".

He is completely right. Amen. Amen.

I did not find it legalistic at any point. I greatly admired his courage and bold declarations about God's Word - and it brought to mind the scripture verse about the Lord equipping his saints to speak the Word with boldness. Within minutes of the start of his sermon he refutes a couple of heresies that have come from recent Baptist traditions, which I thought was very brave. However, he gets his point across perfectly, spending the majority of his sermon discussing fruits. If any have not already watched it full length, please do so. I believe you will benefit greatly from him.

8. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Mr

I'm not talking about salvation by works. Where did you get that out of what I said? I'm talking about the necessity of being born again, the truth that there is a cost to being a Christian. We have to give something up and that is being a slave to sin. The rich young ruler was unwilling to pay the price. By the way, don't you think that if you live in a country which claims to be a Christian country where 80% of the people claim that they are Christians that it is far easier to claim to be one yourself than if you live somewhere where changing your religion to Christianity means your life is in danger? That's true if you change from Hindu to Christian in India for instance.

Jesus understood this and repeatedly preached against "easy believerism."

Mat 10:32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men, him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.
    Mat 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.
    Mat 10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
    Mat 10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
    Mat 10:36 And a man's foes [shall be] they of his own household.
    Mat 10:37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
    Mat 10:38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
    Mat 10:39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

True Christians will continue to sin but sin will not continue to be the lord of their lives. That's what I mean by carnal Christians, those who think that they can intellectually accept Christ's teachings but then go out and live the same way they did before. Sadly, they're fooling themselves.

9. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

:thumbsup: