1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Salvation Process

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by freeatlast, Apr 19, 2012.

1. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

So a person can remain in rebellion against God, not repent, and get saved?

2. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Repentance is first and foremost a change of mind, not cleaning up your own life.

When you realize you are a sinner headed for hell and cry out for forgiveness and salvation, God saves your sorry soul.

Have we forgotten that includes regeneration?

That is a work GOD does in and for us.

And a person once regenerated is going to abhore sin. Note I said abhore it, not be sinlessly perfect immediately.

It isn't about our good works--all our RIGHTEOUSNESSES are as filthy rags.

It isn't about our joining God in a process to cleans us so we CAN get saved.

It IS that those He saves, He justifies, regenerates, sanctifies, and ultimately glorifies.

I don't care if you are Arminian, Calvinist, or whatever blend you choose in theology, ALL of them start with the need to be born again BEFORE good works come into play.

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Well put! :thumbs:

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    repentance means to me to accept the truth that I am a sinner, who keeps sinning, and needs jesus to be my saviour!

faith placed in him, then born anew from above!

faith/repentance flip side of same salvation coin!

5. seekingthetruth

seekingthetruth New Member

You can know you are a sinner without repenting.

Repentance is turning from sin.

John

6. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I see a basic problem emerging with some responses on the thread.

Everyone who posted would state that the total work of salvation is accomplished by Christ.

Yet, some times I have read that there is a certain "belief" or "repentance" or some other action that a person must take in some manner to activate that salvation.

That isn't the truth.

If there is anything other than a response to the action of salvation freely given and bestowed upon whom God has placed both faith and such favor, then any belief, prayer, repentance... is worthless.

A believer expresses belief because they already believe - God put it in the heart.

A believer repents unto salvation because that person already has the work of the Holy Spirit bringing conviction and salvation - God has put it in the heart.

A believer is saved not of any work or words, but because God in His own pleasure and by His own mercy extended to the individual the faith and ability to express that faith in Christ.

Any mixture of "a person has to ..." is not salvation by God.

7. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

No, repentance is NOT turning from sin. That is a works salvation. Repentance is turning to God. Many people turn from sin, but do not want God in their lives as He calls for.
    Acts 20:21
    Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Notice it does not say repent of or turn from sin. No place does the NT say repent of your sin. It says repent towards God. Turning from sin is the result/evidence of turning to God Eph 2:10. Everyone who turns to God will turn from sin as a result of repentance and that is why scripture says they will never again practice sin (1John 3), but turning from sin does not mean one is turning to God. Many people turn from sin and never turn to God thus they never get saved and thus fulfill scripture;
    Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

#47 freeatlast, Apr 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2012