1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Salvation without love?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Stanedglass, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Stanedglass

Stanedglass New Member

I'm kind of touching and going this morning but wanted others to weigh in and hear what you have to say or think on the subject.

Can someonw be saved without loving God?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My first reaction would be yes. I was saved because I realized that I was a sinner in need of forgiveness and that God loved and sent His Son to die for me. The love for God came later after I realized His great love.

3. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean can some one already be saved and not love God? I don't think so. But like the previous poster if one is not saved loving God isn't a requirement to get saved. Because it is Christ who first died for us while we were yet in our sins and enemies to God. But once saved like, the prostitute who washed Jesus' feet with her hair and her tears and annoited him with oil, once forgiven of our sins those who have been forgiven much loves much.

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

How can you love someone you don't know? How many unsaved people love God? I didn't get saved because I loved God (I didn't even know Him before that time). I got saved because I didn't want to spend eternity in hell. If people don't fear God's judgment, why would they see any reason to be saved?

#4 Jon-Marc, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2010
  5. Gup20

Gup20 Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Pro 1:7 The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge: [but] fools despise wisdom and instruction.

1Jo 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Fear may lead us to the cross, but it is just the "beginning". Maturing in Christ means maturing in love.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Jhn 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Jhn 10:15 As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
    16 And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, [and] one shepherd.
    17 Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again.

Jhn 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

6. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We love, because He first loved us.
    1 John 4:19 NAS77

7. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No.

"Saved" by NT biblical definition declares....

Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

This would be love.

Now the OT saints did not have this Holy Spirit indwellment we now call "saved".

The OT did not use the term "saved" or "regenerated" or "born again". This is why Nicodemus did not understand Jesus' words although he should have known of the new birth that was prophesised to come. Thus Jesus rebuked him for being a teacher and not knowing this.

Who "loved" God prior to regeneration? Those who placed their faith in Him, even as faith in Him through Jesus Christ is also love. This IS love toward God. It is what He has desired from His creation from the beginning of time.

8. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

We don't get saved because we love God; we get saved because He loved us. After we are saved THEN we love Him because we know Him, and because He loves us.

9. billwald

billwald New Member

The problem is that we use different words to say almost the same thing. "Saved" is probably the least well defined and technical of all the words.

God can save anyone he chooses "in" Christ Jesus. Conversion is the person's subsequent response to his regeneration. I have never heard anyone say, "I was regenerated on . . . ."

10. Peggy

Peggy New Member

God draws us to him by his grace. He loved us first. But can we truly have saving faith without love? The Bible says that love is greater than faith. Without love, and works done out of love for God, we have dead faith and dead faith cannot save. James 2.

1Co 13:13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

11. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Do you not know only People who are perfect are in Heaven! God's love for his own is an everlasting love and he loves them till the end. Human love towards God or even our neighbors is always surrounded by the flesh. So untill that day come when we shall be like him "perfect"......trust HIS LOVE FOR YOU! :jesus:

#11 Jedi Knight, Jun 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2010