1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Salvations Probationary State

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Heavenly Pilgrim, Jul 3, 2006.

1. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Nice spin, but it's just not Biblical. Again you have to but your personal spin on things to try and keep up the unScriptural game of let God's words really mean what I want them to mean.

See eternal salvaiton is not about walking a path. Eternal salvation is about a one-time decision in a person's life. Walking the correct path is only for those that are saved. If you aren't saved you aren't walking a path you are dead in trespasses and sins. Dead men don't walk unlike what the movie title says.

2. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Sheep are called holy all throughout Scriptures.

Someone who's headed for the lake of fire is not holy.

3. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Holy sheep!! I know there are some, but I never read anywhere that sheep are ‘always' denoted as holy. Help me with this dilemma. If you could just give me one verse that says it I might be able to read it in between the other lines that say they all gone astray, to the point that the Lord has laid on Christ the iniquity of them all. OHHHHHH I get it. You must be a universalist?

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Why does it seem impossible for you to debate without becoming insulting and putting words into other people's mouths?

But, Numbers 18:17 gives us the picture: But the firstling of a cow, or the firstling of a sheep, or the firstling of a goat, thou shalt not redeem; they are holy: thou shalt sprinkle their blood upon the altar, and shalt burn their fat for an offering made by fire, for a sweet savour unto the LORD.

He's not going to give a picture of an animal as being holy in one place, and then use them as a picture of someone who's going to the lake of fire in another.

God is not the author of confusion, I don't care what you've been taught your entire life. I was taught that "lost sheep" were unsaved, when I was younger. But, I came to realize that "lost sheep" are sheep who have gone astray.

When a shepherd looks for his lost sheep, they were already his. Now, he may look for new sheep for his flock, but his lost sheep were already his!

The Bible doesn't spend a great deal of time on how to become saved and on those who are unsaved, but it spends a great deal of time on what to do after salvation, and the consequences of such actions. (Both good and bad.)

5. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Oh please HOG. You can surely see that the verse you mention does not support the idea you are proposing in the least. Is it not your contention that if they are in any context counted as sheep then they are indeed being referred to as being saved? If that Is not your contention, say so and explain just what you are contending for?

6. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

How much more clear could I make it that this is what Scripture is saying?

I've stated it, I've explained it, I've shown the picture in the OT that we're given to show this...

There aren't many more ways that I can show this.

They are sheep that are perishing (the word translated as "lost" is "perishing"), just as the children of Israel perished in the wilderness. The children of Israel were in the Promised Land when they left Egypt; then they were baptized, then they wandered in the wilderness; then a "few" (the children of the children of Israel and only two others) reached the Land Flowing with Milk and Honey (the Kingdom).

Lost sheep are those that have gone astray, not those who have never been sheep. They are in danger of perishing or losing their lives.

This interchangeability with "lost" and "unsaved" that has popped up in the church in the last many years has led many people into grave error in studying Scripture.

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: “He is not a Jew that is one outwardly, but he is a Jew that is one inwardly.” Are you trying to say that all of those ‘lost sheep’ were Jews inwardly? “By their fruit ye shall know them.” “He that saith he loveth me, and keepeth not my commandments, is a liar and the truth is not in him.”

8. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

HP you are all over the place. You just need to stick to one subject :)

You are cherry picking a lot of verses there that don't speak to the same subject.

Let's just take what the text says. Jesus came to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Most of Christendom has taken the word lost and equated it with unsaved, but there is nothing in Scripture that shows us that equation.

What does it mean to be lost? It means that it is an object that belongs to an owner which is not currently in his possession.

So you have saved individual that belong to God, who are not currently in His possession because like the prodigal son they have gone off to do their own thing.

But unlike the father in the prodigal story, the Father has gone looking for His sheep to save them. Not because they are eternally unsaved, because they are already His sheep, but because they are away from His care and are among the dangers of the wolves and other enemies of the sheep.

Also you just have to look at the message that was being delivered to these people to know they were spiritually alive, which means they were eternally saved. The message was a spiritual message of the kingdom. The kingdom is located in a spiritual realm that is not perceivable with the five senses.

So in order to even understand the message to either accept or reject it their spirits had to have been alive or they wouldn't have even been able to understand what was being said.

That's what Jesus told Nicodemus in John 3. He rebuked him because these were things that he should have known already.

If he was unsaved then there is no way possible he could have known these things, but Jesus said he should have which means his spirit was alive, just very sick.

9. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: Definition of lost to JJ: A person which God does not currently possess.

JJ, if God does not possess them, they have no right to His inheritance. “He that hath the Son, hath life. He that hath not the Son hath not life.” If you have the Son, God possess you. If you are not possessed by God, you are not a son, and as such have no right to claim any inheritance. “ Lu 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?”
    1Jo 3:19 And hereby we know that we are of the truth, and shall assure our hearts before him.
    20 ¶ For if our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knoweth all things.
    21 Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God.
    22 And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight.

To be lost JJ is to be without hope. No believer is without hope, therefore believers are not lost and the lost are not believers.

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

HP, let me ask you a question: Have you ever lost a $20 bill that you never possessed? If so, how?

How about the following:

Luke 15:8: Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?

Did she lose that piece of silver without ever possessing it?

#50 Hope of Glory, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2006
  11. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP, let me ask you a question: Have you ever lost a $20 bill that you never possessed? If so, how?

How about the following:

Luke 15:8: Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it?

Did she lose that piece of silver without ever possessing it?

HP: The ‘lost’ is simply a way of classifying those that are not of the faith. That includes all those that are sinners that have never even heard the gospel as well as those that have, responded, but since turned down another path.

As far as the women losing that piece of silver, one thing is for certain, when she lost it she could not take it to the bank for redemption. It was of no redeemable value to her in that lost state. Neither is the hope of eternal life of any value to one that is in such a lost state, denoted as one that is 'lost.'

#51 Heavenly Pilgrim, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2006
  12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

"Lost", in Luke 15:8 is an aorist, active, subjuntive. She did the action. She lost. In order to lose it, she had to have it. It perished from her possession. How can that be if she never had it?

So, let me ask you a question again: Have you ever lost a $20 bill that you never possessed? If so, how?

13. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

If you actually believed what you typed you would be well on your way. If God does not possess them they have no right to the inheritance.

That's EXACTLY right. However eternal salvation is not an inhertiance it is a gift. Two different things. Our inhertiance is the opportuntity to rule and reign with Christ.

I wanted to repeat this, because this is exactly the point that we (myself, HoG, James) have been trying to make for some time now.

But it says Son, not Saviour. There's a reason why it says Son, because sonship has to do with inheritance and the inheritance is ruling as firstborn sons of God. And just as you said if we are not possessed by God, because we aren't possessing the Son then we are not going to get the inheritance.

Again eternal salvation is a gift, not an inheritance.

EXACTLY!!!

That's not true at all. Believers can fall away and forfeit their hope.

14. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

The Bible says those people are "dead" not lost.

That could be true of the salvation of the soul I guess, but not eternally saved people, because their salvation is never in jeopardy.